Solo Range

Well I know a tiny bit about antennas as I have an extra class amateur radio license and have been building and using them for about 27 years. Not saying I know it all as there are lots of guys that know way more than I do!
Lots of false promises out there. If you see antennas rated at a certain amount of gain like 4 or 5 dB gain and not dbi or dbd then they are often trying to be tricky with ratings.

You just can't do much without directional antennas.

Once again, thank you for helping,

I understand directional antennas, you have made it clear but could you please understand that I am trying to get a good antenna with the stock shape? If you know any, I would appreciate if tiu csn give me the tip.

Thanks

Well I know a tiny bit about antennas as I have an extra class amateur radio license and have been building and using them for about 27 years. Not saying I know it all as there are lots of guys that know way more than I do!
Lots of false promises out there. If you see antennas rated at a certain amount of gain like 4 or 5 dB gain and not dbi or dbd then they are often trying to be tricky with ratings.

You just can't do much without directional antennas.

FWIW - I have these and am seeing a substantial gain in distance over stock. But nowhere close to 2.3 miles. (in the suburbs with a clear line of sight - it looked like he was in a more rural area)

IMO they were worth the $20 (make sure to select the 2 pack), but if you're expecting 2.3 miles you may be disappointed..

I want to try those Alfa's and just ordered them. I have been using the TP-Link antennas I already had, and got much better results than stock. Since I had previously upgrade my wifi access point with them, it was a no brainer to give em a try. I'll post what my results with the Alfa's, should arrive tomorrow. I'll be surprised if I get a mile as I live in the hills/forests of NH, but even that would be great!

View media item 43
Got those Alfa antennas and they really bumped up my range. If I were in large open spaces I bet the range would be great. I'll be using these as my primary antennas now! One thing to note, no instructions were included with them, and I had to search for which side was the "hot" side. It's the side with the "Alfa" label. For less than $20 I'm pretty happy.

Attachments

• 20150723_171309.jpg
    20150723_171309.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 42
  • 20150723_171315.jpg
    20150723_171315.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: edh
Glad they worked out, Mike. For $20, well worth it :)

They also have a small vertical range (I believe I read 16 degree somewhere), so I have noticed adjusting them in flight helps as I get further out.

After testing on the Solo, I also wound up buying a set for my home wifi and replacing 2 of the 3 antennas on it. Much better signal at home too.

is that the way they should be used, looking down and angle to the sides?

thank You

View media item 43
Got those Alfa antennas and they really bumped up my range. If I were in large open spaces I bet the range would be great. I'll be using these as my primary antennas now! One thing to note, no instructions were included with them, and I had to search for which side was the "hot" side. It's the side with the "Alfa" label. For less than $20 I'm pretty happy.

They are actually pointing up in that orientation. I moved them as necessary attempting to keep them pointing at the solo at all times. Just keep the "Alfa" label pointing directly at the Solo and you should be getting the best signal.

I'm looking for sexy ones myself, and yeah, better range too..hahahahaha

I know what you mean Jorge. I don't want this monstrosity thing hanging off the front of my controller. The tablet is enough. I'll need a neck brace if I keep adding stuff too it......or just mount it on a tripod.
I can normally get out to 2500' where I fly.

thank You

They are actually pointing up in that orientation. I moved them as necessary attempting to keep them pointing at the solo at all times. Just keep the "Alfa" label pointing directly at the Solo and you should be getting the best signal.

absolutely my friend, that's exactly the way I think.

So, up until now, which are the sexiest antennas you have found for the controller? are you thinking about this Alfa antennas?

THe FPVLR is supposed to be very good but then again not sexy and the DBSmods to my personal taste it's even worst in looks, too big and too bulky.

I wish there could be a "stock like" antenna with a really good range

I'm looking for sexy ones myself, and yeah, better range too..hahahahaha

I know what you mean Jorge. I don't want this monstrosity thing hanging off the front of my controller. The tablet is enough. I'll need a neck brace if I keep adding stuff too it......or just mount it on a tripod.
I can normally get out to 2500' where I fly.

absolutely my friend, that's exactly the way I think.

So, up until now, which are the sexiest antennas you have found for the controller? are you thinking about this Alfa antennas?

THe FPVLR is supposed to be very good but then again not sexy and the DBSmods to my personal taste it's even worst in looks, too big and too bulky.

The only one's I have seen are the DBSMods and FPVLR. The rubber duckys won't get you much.

Reactions: rrmccabe

Do you mean a round antenna? They will never give you the range of a directional antenna. Antenna shape has a lot to do with range, and I don't think they can make a round directional antenna at these sizes. At least not one that anyone could afford! lol

I mean the round and long shape of the stock antenna, yes I know they won't give me the range of the other ones but they do look a lot better.

Do you mean a round antenna? They will never give you the range of a directional antenna. Antenna shape has a lot to do with range, and I don't think they can make a round directional antenna at these sizes. At least not one that anyone could afford! lol

but they do look a lot better.

I guess that is a matter of opinion. I think the two directional antennas look way better than the stock ones.

Course I think this.
index.jpg

Looks better than this
2009_toyota_corolla_angularfront.jpg

Reactions: Raybro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44