Votes: 2 3.6%
  • GPS issues, but working otherwise

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Experiences some issues that were NOT resolved by 3DR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Still waiting for my Solo

Votes: 7 12.5%

• Total voters
My first post update gps lock was also very bad, non existent first time I tried but both last night and today I've been locked and ready to go in seconds today ended up with 14 sats which is best I've seen and didn't go above a 1.8 hdop which is pretty impressive, Rssi was below 55 as well. My range was rough that first night too but that also now seems to be the same I think that was heavy humid weather related, saying that guys watch your controller screen if your watching bars or use Rssi.

I'm ignoring the bars in app totally now I've been having full strength on controller and as low as two bars on the app meter my controller rarely went below 4 bars. Something was changed or the apps signal meter is just faulty or a shot in the dark cause as soon as I take off it drops like a countdown but controller stays strong,

I'm using the fpvlr upgrade as I gave up on the old baby router antennas that were included and my signals great video is honestly a bit laggy since update but only on android it seems but response time and signal were undoubtedly improved adding the new antennas.

Beside the above brief issues the update seemed to improve my solo in every way it needed. I have had a bit more luck than some anyway it seems but now everything works exactly as it should. No more mystery veering left playing tug of war, my drift seems to be very slight if any. I'm actually happy overall now since update, still being cautious and not quite confident to go cruise over people or vehicles but I'm getting more confident that the bugs are fixed each day.

Sorry I wrote a bit of a book but I'm pretty pumped mine seems fixed after the other night that's quite a change, I thought I was grounded when I couldn't get a lock. I reset everything removed and reset go pro and did both level and compass calib and I'm great.

Reactions: Raybro
It took me about 15 minutes on my Solo to get a GPS lock my on my initial set up, it has been much faster since, and extemely fast since the update. My 3DR Iris+ took over 20 minutes and several attempts (I kept giving up at about 12 minutes). I called customer support regarding my Iris+ and was told to wait for up to 30 minutes...thought they were crazy. But since those initial locks, neither of my 3DRs have had long wait times.

And you are right Rich, I forgot about those who are having GPS problems, which is more than 2.

That's amazing I can't believe 3dr would even say this to you, yea just sit for half an hour and drain half your battery before flight it's normal. Sounds like an answer from another well known support staff if you could get ahold of em.

(Covering eyes) I can't see anything wrong what do you mean, there's no problem with it at all it's doing exactly as it should. Sorry nothing we can do for ya valued customer.

Lol kidding nobody get upset I own both and enjoy each of them.

Poll looks promising actually unbiased however by the time we add up all seperate issues on good vs bad seems that percentage with issues is still a bit high. I guess that's expected though I'd bet alot buying it without issues likely won't be on forums at all since they are having no real issues to check on. While every one who crashes or has problems will be here ASAP to try to find a fix or workaround.

Issues are all going to make a post or headline most won't just post randomly this products doing what it's supposed to, at least most with little to no rc experience. They don't realize that's impressive and assume that's how things go no matter who made it.

I hope some best buy folks give 3dr support a chance and don't just return it ASAP but I know that is unlikely if they drop that grand and something goes wrong. The best buy move as a whole is a double edged sword they have no idea how to determine if it's user error or solo bugs and won't much care I'd assume. Wonder what plans are for all the returns, I bet most are still great quads, probably test and refurb, but that's a lot of birds to discount it would seem. hmmm I'd be happy to buy a couple pending on discount, wonder about warranty if this happens. Hope they aren't just going to pile up but very well could happen cause no warranty would have to cut the price a lot to be worthwhile.

I'll stop sorry I'm a bit to chatty today and in the poll of all places, apologies OP.

Part of the problem is the poll started with 3 options. Some people chose the best choice out of three even if it did not exactly apply. 5 more options have been since added so hopefully the original guys will update their vote if needed.

But you are right. Still pretty high

1 Positive option and the rest all negative? The choices aren't unbiased enough.

Hmm, I've seen two people who claim their performance has suffered post update. Most of us have had the opposite experience post update. Do you know of others who are suffering post update, I mean enough to make this the #1 choice?

I have been unable to fly beyond 500' since the update however; I'm not bashing 3DR or Solo, I'm just pissed right now. I submitted my trouble ticket and I'm confident they'll get me back up and running.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Yeah, it's hard to get all the right questions out there. The goal of this poll was to gauge how many solo operators have working almost flawless birds vs. grounded problematic ones. I have only flown two times and so far it's been great. It will have a lot more flying time this weekend and we'll see if mine chokes, but hopefully these updates are doing more good than harm.

I'm glad people are voting and you can re-vote if your experiences have changed. I think there are 3 options on the positive side since the bird is still functional in the end.

Yeah, it's hard to get all the right questions out there. The goal of this poll was to gauge how many solo operators have working almost flawless birds vs. grounded problematic ones. I have only flown two times and so far it's been great. It will have a lot more flying time this weekend and we'll see if mine chokes, but hopefully these updates are doing more good than harm.

I'm glad people are voting and you can re-vote if your experiences have changed. I think there are 3 options on the positive side since the bird is still functional in the end.

What's really impossible to know is how many happy campers are out there that don't know about this forum.

Yup, could go either way really. I found this forum because I got serious about buying a drone and if you know how to browse the web and do your research you'll come across forums like these. And if you're really curious you'll join and start asking questions and participating : ) Hopefully the positive results will help people make their choice when looking to buy.

"Still waiting for my Solo" is unrelated to the update and just skews the results. Should not be an option.

"Still waiting for my Solo" is unrelated to the update and just skews the results. Should not be an option.

That's true, Rich. It's helpful to see how many people viewed this thread that will hopefully be voting in the future. I could take it off if more people want it off. I don't mind. I realize it is called how is YOUR solo, hah!

Last edited:
I have only had HDMI issues and that was mostly solved by rebooting phone and power cycling Solo.
I always turn on Solo first now because every time I turned on controller first I had hd feed issues. Have not tried powering controller before Solo since update.

GPS takes less than a minute for me. That has never been an issue.

Return to Home triggered a few times in what was a fairly crowded citypark with plenty of wifi cross signals from nearby business and buildings. Also realized I was near power lines so figured that was the culprit.

I have one of the very 1st BB machines and all has been perfect. An iPad anomaly but that's because the app doesn't close unless iPad is shut off and on again, takes about 20 seconds. Since update I have to hurry and get ready to Fly after power up as Solo connects to a min of 9 almost immediately, 11-14 if I wait a minute (central Florida). I will say that I was very methodical (and still am) during update process. I know some others did the same but didn't achieve success even after TS, resets, etc. I am bewildered that so many of my SOLO friends are either having great success and yet others are grounded, particularly during the update process.

Anyway, Great, no issues so far!

I guess that's expected though I'd bet alot buying it without issues likely won't be on forums at all since they are having no real issues to check on. While every one who crashes or has problems will be here ASAP to try to find a fix or workaround.
You probably don't realize just how right you are in that statement. Been on the internet since before there was a Web. And there has always been forums/interest groups. Pick just about any product made in any category and if you are online reading reviews and forums, there will always be more that are complaining or have a problem than is represented 'off line'. As you stated, if consumer A buys a product and takes it home and uses it without a problem, they are not running to the internet to find a forum to post their good experience. But if they have a problem or have a question, that is where they will likely turn.

Someone at 3DR had stated just prior to first shipments that roughly 30k Solos had been ordered including dealers and retailers. I would bet that 70-80% of those have now shipped. Now check forums for people with problems and the #s look pretty small. I agree with you too about BB carrying the product. I would bet that a great deal of their returns were 1st time flyers doing a Selfie that ends with them nose in and they get disoriented and correct the wrong way. No problem, just take it back to BB and tell them 'it took off on it's own and crashed!'. Can I get another one or a refund?' Kind of blurs the #s doesn't it?

I have used 2 different tablets (LG 8"& Nexus 7) and have never seen the app crash. I have never had a GPS issue or signal loss and the update went perfect the first time. I hope that in the off line world that experience is the majority. I try to help here when I can and look forward to the gimbal arriving.

Fly Safe..
Jubal

Reactions: Adimuzio513
You probably don't realize just how right you are in that statement. Been on the internet since before there was a Web. And there has always been forums/interest groups. Pick just about any product made in any category and if you are online reading reviews and forums, there will always be more that are complaining or have a problem than is represented 'off line'. As you stated, if consumer A buys a product and takes it home and uses it without a problem, they are not running to the internet to find a forum to post their good experience. But if they have a problem or have a question, that is where they will likely turn.

Someone at 3DR had stated just prior to first shipments that roughly 30k Solos had been ordered including dealers and retailers. I would bet that 70-80% of those have now shipped. Now check forums for people with problems and the #s look pretty small. I agree with you too about BB carrying the product. I would bet that a great deal of their returns were 1st time flyers doing a Selfie that ends with them nose in and they get disoriented and correct the wrong way. No problem, just take it back to BB and tell them 'it took off on it's own and crashed!'. Can I get another one or a refund?' Kind of blurs the #s doesn't it?

I have used 2 different tablets (LG 8"& Nexus 7) and have never seen the app crash. I have never had a GPS issue or signal loss and the update went perfect the first time. I hope that in the off line world that experience is the majority. I try to help here when I can and look forward to the gimbal arriving.

Fly Safe..
Jubal
The whole Best Buy debacle boggles my mind. Before a customer can go back to BB to swap it out for another, there should have been a process in place where they had to submit a support ticket. Then at 3DRs blessing the person could take it back to BB for an exchange. Produce an email receipt from 3DR that the product is defective and should be exchanged.

Me as well, I have not had an issue. I've not had any app problems, I'm getting good video, a good number of Sats, and range has been good, although I have only been out to 2000' so far. I am going to start using Tower this weekend, it looks quite nice.
Ray

Ray, agree. I am sure that's too complicated for the Best Buy process though.

But in the end the guys that are trying to be fair, do the right thing and make an attempt at due diligence end up getting the shaft.

3DR is going to have a warehouse full of Solos with slight issues and no issues.

They should have 3dr events in every state and let us try those in Acro mode.

Ray, agree. I am sure that's too complicated for the Best Buy process though.

But in the end the guys that are trying to be fair, do the right thing and make an attempt at due diligence end up getting the shaft.

3DR is going to have a warehouse full of Solos with slight issues and no issues.

They should have 3dr events in every state and let us try those in Acro mode.
Oh yeah! That would be fun.
Well, I know you have been through the wringer and I don't blame you for backing out.
My general feeling is despite the delayed roll out, I don't think it was ready. As far as the gimbal goes, I think they are trying to avoid the same thing with that. Once it comes out, it could make or break the Solo.

That's amazing I can't believe 3dr would even say this to you, yea just sit for half an hour and drain half your battery before flight it's normal. Sounds like an answer from another well known support staff if you could get ahold of em.

(Covering eyes) I can't see anything wrong what do you mean, there's no problem with it at all it's doing exactly as it should. Sorry nothing we can do for ya valued customer.

The Solo and the Iris download a GPS database when they first connect in a new area. In some locations, depending on where satellites are

The first time you boot up a Solo (or Iris, X8, etc) it syncs up and builds a GPS database. This can take a long time if you aren't in an open space or if the current set of satellites are near the horizon, or other issues. The next time it will much faster, if your in an open field it should lock within seconds.

The first time you fly in a new location it needs to re sync and rebuild its database. Generally if your within 60 to 100 miles of your previous location it won't take that long.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anomaly.Filmworks