Solo object avoidance

Reaction score
PMI's sense and avoid radar system Planar Monolithics Industries - Miscellaneous Products

I stumbled on to some videos on youtube regarding this product and got really excited about it. Unfortunately they never responded to anybody's questions in their YouTube videos about the availability of it.

After emailing them and getting no response, I called them and this sums up what the rep told me:

"There is no release date and it is being geared towards military use"

Bummer!!!

Last edited:
...hopefully mRo is working on something like that for us?!?!...

I hope someone has it in the works, I do not understand why, if this one was designed for the solo, they wouldn't release it. I do not imagine the gov't has a bunch of solo's laying around. I have no real insite into this sort of thing, but it seems like the military would already have an even better and more developed tech for this sort of thing.

Last edited:
I hope someone has it in the works, I do not understand why, if this one was designed for the solo, they wouldn't release it. I do not imagine the gov't has a bunch of solo's laying around. I have no real insite into this sort of thing, but it seems like the military would already have an even better and more developed tech for this sort of thing.
For the $50k eye-in-the-sky long-range loiter birds, they do. A small bit of inside scuttlebutt holds that at least the army *does* have a fair stock of SOLOs as training aids and "front line deployable, disposable, aerial observation platforms"

Also, the tech is applicable higher up the chain.

All of that information is classified. You guys are gonna have a visit from the FBI. Glad I don't know you...

Reactions: tinker bot
Maddog your a funny guy, I know you, we hang out in all the other message boards :)

with the green cube and master you can add it, been done

Cool. I figured it had because I read comments that suggested as much. Do you have any Links you can share detailing it working with the solo?

I found this link while searching "visual SLAM" + 3DR solo:

Lidar-based Ground Collision Checking for 3DR Solo - Hackster.io
Very cool project. I have bookmarked the link. This has been on my list of curious Solo to dos and to how it would be done/wired/coded. I mounted a sonar based unit on my carbon fiber Armatton with Pixhawk and it will track the terrain very well. It goes over cars, rising and falling as it flies over. Are you going to proceed with this project? Would love to follow the progress.

Very cool project. I have bookmarked the link. This has been on my list of curious Solo to dos and to how it would be done/wired/coded. I mounted a sonar based unit on my carbon fiber Armatton with Pixhawk and it will track the terrain very well. It goes over cars, rising and falling as it flies over. Are you going to proceed with this project? Would love to follow the progress.

Nice! Any Pics of the "sonar based unit on my carbon fiber Armatton with Pixhawk"?

I agree with the "curious Solo to dos" but I do not think I will be doing it right away. I still have to install my green cube which I have been putting off. I'm not sure how the current version of master included with the instructions to install it will affect this mod. I was really looking for horizontal avoidance too, though this should be able to be modified. It's lame but due to time constraints I need my mods, such as taking this one and retro fitting it for horizontal avoidance, to be more complete before I can attempt it. (My current mods: WiFi Cards, mRo GPS, non-gopro camera in stabilized gimbal, imax charger connector).

Reactions: JBAlaska

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig