Solo not finding satellites after installing Open Solo 4

Reaction score
Finally, a stable release of Open Solo 4 for the stock cube! Or so I thought.. Intially, after upgrading my bird and tx to Open Solo 4 (via Solex) I ran into and issue with calibrating the compass. It would hang about halfway through the calibration process and I was unable to get my bird airborne. Through a little trial and error I ended up performing a factory reset (new factory reset partition in place) on both the quad and tx. This fixed the calibration issue and I was in business. By sheer coincidence a buddy of mine ended up buying a 3DR Solo about a week later at auction. When he received the quad it wasn't operational (lights wouldn't come on after powering up). Knowing that I have owned a Solo for years he contacted me and asked if I could help. I was able to determine that it had a bad ESC and potentially bad motor on in the #04 motor positon. I replaced the ESC and motor and found that I was unable to connect to the quad via Solex because the previous owner had changed the default password and it was no longer sololink. So, I ended up performing a factory reset on both quad and tx and then proceeded uprade both to Open Solo 4. Unfortunately I encountered the same issue with calibration as I did with mine. I was able to overcome this as I did before with a factory reset.

Moving on.. Now I am at an impass with a different issue. My buddies quad is not finding any satellites.
The GPS unit in his Solo is the old school green one (REV A) in the image below.

20221206_144859.jpg

As you can see in the image it is undamaged and should be in good working order. Couldn't say with certainty that there is no issue with it but I can say that I happened to have an extra GPS unit (the old REV A that came with mine) and it wouldn't pick up any satellites either when I swapped it out. I know that mine is in great condition and connects to satellites with original 3DR software. I should mention that I was testing this with clear skies and I allowed it to search for satellites for at least 15 minutes (I know these old units take their sweet time) with each GPS unit I tested. Still, 0 satellites. Being as I now have one of the newer black GPS (REV B in the image below) installed in mine I wondered if it would make any difference so I installed it in the quad I'm working on.

20221206_144502.jpg

This fixed the issue, which leads me to believe that it is most likely something within the programming/parameters that needs to be adjusted. I highly doubt there is anything wrong with the hardware. I know my REV A was working last I used it and the one installed in the Solo I'm working on appears to be in excellent condition.

I'm hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on the subject for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Finally, a stable release of Open Solo 4 for the stock cube! Or so I thought.. Intially, after upgrading my bird and tx to Open Solo 4 (via Solex) I ran into and issue with calibrating the compass. It would hang about halfway through the calibration process and I was unable to get my bird airborne. Through a little trial and error I ended up performing a factory reset (new factory reset partition in place) on both the quad and tx. This fixed the calibration issue and I was in business. By sheer coincidence a buddy of mine ended up buying a 3DR Solo about a week later at auction. When he received the quad it wasn't operational (lights wouldn't come on after powering up). Knowing that I have owned a Solo for years he contacted me and asked if I could help. I was able to determine that it had a bad ESC and potentially bad motor on in the #04 motor positon. I replaced the ESC and motor and found that I was unable to connect to the quad via Solex because the previous owner had changed the default password and it was no longer sololink. So, I ended up performing a factory reset on both quad and tx and then proceeded uprade both to Open Solo 4. Unfortunately I encountered the same issue with calibration as I did with mine. I was able to overcome this as I did before with a factory reset.

Moving on.. Now I am at an impass with a different issue. My buddies quad is not finding any satellites.
The GPS unit in his Solo is the old school green one (REV A) in the image below.

View attachment 11980

As you can see in the image it is undamaged and should be in good working order. Couldn't say with certainty that there is no issue with it but I can say that I happened to have an extra GPS unit (the old REV A that came with mine) and it wouldn't pick up any satellites either when I swapped it out. I know that mine is in great condition and connects to satellites with original 3DR software. I should mention that I was testing this with clear skies and I allowed it to search for satellites for at least 15 minutes (I know these old units take their sweet time) with each GPS unit I tested. Still, 0 satellites. Being as I now have one of the newer black GPS (REV B in the image below) installed in mine I wondered if it would make any difference so I installed it in the quad I'm working on.

View attachment 11981

This fixed the issue, which leads me to believe that it is most likely something within the programming/parameters that needs to be adjusted. I highly doubt there is anything wrong with the hardware. I know my REV A was working last I used it and the one installed in the Solo I'm working on appears to be in excellent condition.

I'm hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on the subject for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
This isn't caused by Open Solo 4. Those RevA GPS units are really bad and prone to interference. Try getting a V2 GPS shield and make sure no wires are near it when it is put back together. Best to upgrade to a good GPS unit. Here's one of the best you can get for it.

Reactions: CharlieKeck

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo