Solo Motor Troubleshooting and Pod Replacement

• Thread starter Drone videography
  • Start date

Would you like to seem more videos showing how to replace part on your Solo?

• Total voters
The price for one pod shipped is $62. First I was told about $40 but then they couldn't run credit cards. When we could finally get in touch again the price went up. Maybe he didn't add the shipping cost the first time but $20 seems like a lot for shipping a small part. Hope the support improves. I've haven't had the best experience.

As for my crash though, I could not remember the motor shutoff sequence and all four motors tried to spin while the Solo was upside-down. Then it finally shut off. Motor pod 03 was the only motor that I could disconnect and would allow the Solo to turn back on so they ordered that one for me.

It's Friday and they estimated shipping this week but the credit card was not charged. I'm not holding my breath and I'm afraid other parts are damaged so I won't be flying for a while. Good luck to the others waiting for parts.

I waited a month for a replacement motor and when it came they sent me a counter clockwise motor instead of a clockwise. I just finally recieved an email stating they are shipping me a used clockwise motor. Keeping my fingers cross.

IMG_2329.JPG I decided to try Acro Mode, big mistake, I don't suggest doing this by anyone other than seasoned veterans. It did one flip and the second flip, Solo remained upside down. It did not respond to the controller.

After the crash, I transfer all the components over to a new pod. All the sound and lites came on as normal, but I couldn't connect to the control. I tried rebinding and factory reset nothing. The pair lights on the Solo are not working. 3DR wants me to send it into them to checkout.

Attachments

• IMG_2330.JPG
    IMG_2330.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2331.JPG
    IMG_2331.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 1126 I decided to try Acro Mode, big mistake, I don't suggest doing this by anyone other than seasoned veterans. It did one flip and the second flip, Solo remained upside down. It did not respond to the controller.

After the crash, I transfer all the components over to a new pod. All the sound and lites came on as normal, but I couldn't connect to the control. I tried rebinding and factory reset nothing. The pair lights on the Solo are not working. 3DR wants me to send it into them to checkout.
Yep...that Solo looks like its Toast!!
That Solo definitely looks like it hit hard !!

Does anyone have any idea of the average life of the motors with no damage and what will likely fail first. Thanks

View attachment 1126 I decided to try Acro Mode, big mistake, I don't suggest doing this by anyone other than seasoned veterans. It did one flip and the second flip, Solo remained upside down. It did not respond to the controller.

Yes, fair warning to all; Know what you are doing and be experienced in Helis/MRs Aerobatics or have plenty of altitude the first time you put the Solo in Acro. It is extremely responsive in this mode and needs a lite touch on the sticks. But as such can also be a great deal of fun if you are ready for it!

Yes, fair warning to all; Know what you are doing and be experienced in Helis/MRs Aerobatics or have plenty of altitude the first time you put the Solo in Acro. It is extremely responsive in this mode and needs a lite touch on the sticks. But as such can also be a great deal of fun if you are ready for it!
Will the "pause" button work in Acro mode?

The beginning part of this thread has a lot of posts about bounced landings resulting in a flip and burned out motors.

If this happened to you, were you landing manually or was Solo landing itself? What kind of surface were you landing on?

Inquiring minds want to know Lol!

Does anyone have any idea of the average life of the motors with no damage and what will likely fail first. Thanks
It was expressed in a previous thread that the recommended maintenance time was a 150 hours. Maintenance was to replace the motor pods, as there are no user serviceable parts. Doesn't mean someone won't come up with a rebuild kit of sorts in the future....

It is a 3 phase motor with six FETs. The FETs are what is failing. There is also a power regulator on board that could be damaged. Also on the pod is an 8 bit coprocessor + the 3 multi-color LEDs and the circuits to drive them. In some cases an LED could get damaged too. View attachment 389 All in all, a lot of stuff - just more than a motor and capacitor.

The red box indicated the area of a fire (yes, flames) on this pod. To repair, I would replace all 6 FETs (the other 3 are on the revers side) + the regulator (left) and at least 1 of the LEDs.

And yes, I am doing component level repairs on the pods. Some are repairable - the one in this pic - not so much.

Where can I order these FETs. Im plan to do the same. I have a motor pod with two FETs burnt out.

The fets could be sourced through a Mouser, Digikey or other electronic distributor. The fets should be branded and numbered on their top plate. A GroomLake video states the brand and type, you'd need to view that video for a verbal ID.....

It has been stated, if a fet has gone bad, the motor and other components could be failed or stressed to near further failure. The consensus was to replace the motor pod.

Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela