Solo Motor Troubleshooting and Pod Replacement

• Thread starter Drone videography
  • Start date

Would you like to seem more videos showing how to replace part on your Solo?

• Total voters
D

Drone videography

I have published a video on how to troubleshoot a 3DR Solo with a burnt out motor, remove the motor pod, and replace it with a new one.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

pretty good video I've crashed my solo and burnt three of the motors, but I can't seem to find on the internet where to buy the pods, do you have any links on that?

Reactions: Cynthia Farr
You have to get them from 3DR - and unfortunately - they are out of stock. :-( I got to fly my solo for 23 min. and have been awaiting the pod for 2 weeks and counting.

You have to tell them which motor pod numbers (1-4) are burnt out since 2 of them are CW and the other 2 are CCW. Out of curiosity - which one is the good one?

Number 3, I don't understand why are the motors are so fragile, I was flying perfectly and landed on a soft surface the solo bounced and crashed but never shut off so the motors were struggling to turn that's how they got burned.

Do I gather that on the landing bounce if flipped over with its blades to the ground?

Reactions: Cynthia Farr
Yes, it flipped over. It even made a dent on the floor with the blades. I am going crazy on the 3DR site and can’t find where to order the pods, I guess it’s better to start waiting now then in 2 weeks.

you have to call customer service - you can't find solo parts on the site yet.

Just curious how much did you pay for those parts? Two of my motors are burnt and I am looking to replace them.

Reactions: Jesus E. Juarez
Just curious how much did you pay for those parts? Two of my motors are burnt and I am looking to replace them.

In the video I think he just put the old pod back in as 3DR never sent him the parts.

Good video but want to mention the control cable really isn't a "ribbon cable". So don't be confused if you open yours up and it doesn't have a ribbon :)

The price for one pod shipped is $62. First I was told about $40 but then they couldn't run credit cards. When we could finally get in touch again the price went up. Maybe he didn't add the shipping cost the first time but $20 seems like a lot for shipping a small part. Hope the support improves. I've haven't had the best experience.

As for my crash though, I could not remember the motor shutoff sequence and all four motors tried to spin while the Solo was upside-down. Then it finally shut off. Motor pod 03 was the only motor that I could disconnect and would allow the Solo to turn back on so they ordered that one for me.

It's Friday and they estimated shipping this week but the credit card was not charged. I'm not holding my breath and I'm afraid other parts are damaged so I won't be flying for a while. Good luck to the others waiting for parts.

Reactions: Jesus E. Juarez
I have published a video on how to troubleshoot a 3DR Solo with a burnt out motor, remove the motor pod, and replace it with a new one.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
There is a new video up showing how to replace legs 1 & 2 (the ones with the antennas in them).

This exact thing just happend to me last night. Landed a little hard, bounced, flipped over and I couldn't shut it down in time. I think I burned out two motors. :( Solo won't start, just makes a clicking sound and then...nothing.

And also it looks like there's a hairline crack in the body running from the edge of the "link" hump across the body. :(

This exact thing just happend to me last night. Landed a little hard, bounced, flipped over and I couldn't shut it down in time. I think I burned out two motors. :( Solo won't start, just makes a clicking sound and then...nothing.

And also it looks like there's a hairline crack in the body running from the edge of the "link" hump across the body. :(
do the diagnostic test in the video - remove the clicking motor pods, then power on (without props) and see if it passes self test.

Opened a ticket on 7/7, I called on 7/9, received a rma to get a new motor pod on Saturday 7/11, Called to give payment on Monday 7/11,
Ships from Mexico, I was told they were expecting a shipment last Friday (7/17). As of yet I have not seen the charge go through or had any emails on any updates. This feels painfully slow... I know it was my mistake but I am extremely disappointed how easily it failed and how difficult it is to get a replacement.

1x Motor, 880kV, X2216, AW, Silver, SOLO $59.95
FexEx shipping cost $12.52
Tax total $6.53

Total: $79.00

Now my understanding is, that it is a 3 phase motor using a capacitor (?) for the third phase and that its usually the capacitor that fails. Has anyone preformed for a component level fix?

Opened a ticket on 7/7, I called on 7/9, received a rma to get a new motor pod on Saturday 7/11, Called to give payment on Monday 7/11,
Ships from Mexico, I was told they were expecting a shipment last Friday (7/17). As of yet I have not seen the charge go through or had any emails on any updates. This feels painfully slow... I know it was my mistake but I am extremely disappointed how easily it failed and how difficult it is to get a replacement.

1x Motor, 880kV, X2216, AW, Silver, SOLO $59.95
FexEx shipping cost $12.52
Tax total $6.53

Total: $79.00

Now my understanding is, that it is a 3 phase motor using a capacitor (?) for the third phase and that its usually the capacitor that fails. Has anyone preformed for a component level fix?
It is a 3 phase motor with six FETs. The FETs are what is failing. There is also a power regulator on board that could be damaged. Also on the pod is an 8 bit coprocessor + the 3 multi-color LEDs and the circuits to drive them. In some cases an LED could get damaged too. podburnout1.jpg All in all, a lot of stuff - just more than a motor and capacitor.

The red box indicated the area of a fire (yes, flames) on this pod. To repair, I would replace all 6 FETs (the other 3 are on the revers side) + the regulator (left) and at least 1 of the LEDs.

And yes, I am doing component level repairs on the pods. Some are repairable - the one in this pic - not so much.

Reactions: thvbreezeknees
It is a 3 phase motor with six FETs. The FETs are what is failing. There is also a power regulator on board that could be damaged. Also on the pod is an 8 bit coprocessor + the 3 multi-color LEDs and the circuits to drive them. In some cases an LED could get damaged too. View attachment 389 All in all, a lot of stuff - just more than a motor and capacitor.

The red box indicated the area of a fire (yes, flames) on this pod. To repair, I would replace all 6 FETs (the other 3 are on the revers side) + the regulator (left) and at least 1 of the LEDs.

And yes, I am doing component level repairs on the pods. Some are repairable - the one in this pic - not so much.
I just posted a tear down video of the motor pod in the General -> Photos & Videos section

The price for one pod shipped is $62. First I was told about $40 but then they couldn't run credit cards. When we could finally get in touch again the price went up. Maybe he didn't add the shipping cost the first time but $20 seems like a lot for shipping a small part. Hope the support improves. I've haven't had the best experience.

As for my crash though, I could not remember the motor shutoff sequence and all four motors tried to spin while the Solo was upside-down. Then it finally shut off. Motor pod 03 was the only motor that I could disconnect and would allow the Solo to turn back on so they ordered that one for me.

It's Friday and they estimated shipping this week but the credit card was not charged. I'm not holding my breath and I'm afraid other parts are damaged so I won't be flying for a while. Good luck to the others waiting for parts.

An update on this: I received replacement motor pods and I'm operational again. 3DR even went out of their way and pulled a motor pod from a new Solo and shipped me that first. Once I had one working motor I could determine that the remaining three motors had also failed. By that time they were available to order on the website so I did that.

I'm excited that the new software update will detect a crash and turn off the motors in two seconds :)

Gimbal time tomorrow also.

An update on this: I received replacement motor pods and I'm operational again. 3DR even went out of their way and pulled a motor pod from a new Solo and shipped me that first. Once I had one working motor I could determine that the remaining three motors had also failed. By that time they were available to order on the website so I did that.

I'm excited that the new software update will detect a crash and turn off the motors in two seconds :)

Gimbal time tomorrow also.

When did you receive your order? I know your post is dated 8-25.
Thanks
...and your gimbal is arriving today?

When did you receive your order? I know your post is dated 8-25.
Thanks
...and your gimbal is arriving today?

My order with QTY 3 motor pods was placed on 8/8/2015 and arrived on 8/20/2015. They shipped me a single motor pod that was pulled from a Solo on 8/4/2015 and that arrived on 8/8/2015 (that's when I learned that all motors were toast).

I did receive the gimbal today 8/26/2015 and that was a pre-order from 4/27/2015. They said I was in the first shipment. The packaging is pretty cool :)

My order with QTY 3 motor pods was placed on 8/8/2015 and arrived on 8/20/2015. They shipped me a single motor pod that was pulled from a Solo on 8/4/2015 and that arrived on 8/8/2015 (that's when I learned that all motors were toast).

I did receive the gimbal today 8/26/2015 and that was a pre-order from 4/27/2015. They said I was in the first shipment. The packaging is pretty cool :)

Sounds like great service from 3DR. I'm new to the Solo family and just ordered my gimbal through B & H photo last week so it will be interesting to see how long it takes.

Keep us posted on how the gimbal performs!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig