Solo Motor Pod disassembly and Bearing replacement

Reaction score
A few postings about bearing replacement left me with the impression that it can be done.

I pulled a motor pod - and I don't see how the motor can be removed without pretty drastic surgery to the plastic housing (which begs the question about putting it back together).

Does someone have some experience with this they can share?

Thank you.

Yes there are the plastic posts that were affixed in place by melting the tops. You have to shave the top or reheat the top to release the brd. Then when you are finished you need to re-lock the brd in place. The screws will hold it but it would be better to use hot glue or remelt it or some way to reestablish the lock.

There are two methods for removing the plastic motor frame. Understand the frame is just a spacer and that the actual mounting screws are what tie it all together once mounted to Solo. Also the frames are keyed for the motor rotation to the air-frame, so no mixing of the frames. Also-also the frames/spacer are a fairly important component of the pod, there are no replacements available as is.

Common method. Cut the buttons off and you'll still have the left over locating pins (stubs) to keep everything aligned. People have used hot glue or CA to reassemble the pod thereafter.

I choose to melt the buttons, once heated I work the frame off the ESC...basically extruding the plastic through the holes while wiggling them apart. Reassemble is much the same, the now longer pins exposed through the ESC, re-heat the pins and use a drill bit tail-end to press back to buttons. I use a hot-air soldering station with a small-ish tip to control the heating to the three pins. Almost close to factory once done....but over-kill for what is required.

Either of the two methods is just a means to ease the installation into Solo of the re-assembled motor pod. As you mentioned, several threads discussing bearing and/or motor replacement. Lots to be gleaned reading through those old threads, which I highly recommend.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso