Solo Gopro Hero 4 Silver and problems

Reaction score
Hello i just bought a used solo and put a solo gimbal on it. So i am getting feed throught the solo app but cannot take pictures or change gopro settings. the buttons are greyed out.
the solo has the 2.4.2 and the gopro has the 5.00 version. i have reset solo,reset tablet,reset gopro and reinstalled the app. made sure there was good connection and still nothing. Thanks in advance!

Did you select the GP4S as the default camera in the Solo app? iOS or Android? Does the gimbal power up and remain steady?

fwiw, the camera control's connection is via the Hero port, so insure the camera and gimbal's ports are clear and undamaged.

Check the screen resolution on your device (phone or tablet). If it's above 1080P Solex may not function properly. I had this issue after the Oreo update, it changed the default settings on my Samsung to to WQHD (2560 x1440). As a result I could get video feeds through the Solex app, but I could not start or stop recording (the buttons were grayed out). Restarted the solex app only for it to seem like it was stuck in camera mode (and no option to change settings on the gopro from the app). It was only when I went into my device settings and reduced the screen resolution to 1920x1080 or lower that Solex started working properly again.
For reference, I was using my 2x GP4 Black with Firmware 5.0 on both my stock Solo (2.4.2) and my upgraded Open Solo running open Solo, same results each time. Once I changed the resolution on my phone screen, problem solved!

Reactions: rodneyrb147
I'm having the same problem I have a note 9 and you can start and stop recording from the solo app and you can tell it wants to show the video but it just want come threw. I just purchased a iPad mini, I used a friends when I first purchased my first solo and it worked. But even now I can start and stop the video, but still no live feed.

I am using a android nexus. However I am getting live feed. just no control.The gopro port is undamaged the gimbal is steady. Also I am using the solo app not solex. So how do you change the resolution?

Can anybody help? These solos must not be any good if they have problems like this. I really wish i would not have bought it now.

Can anybody help? These solos must not be any good if they have problems like this. I really wish i would not have bought it now.
There are two solutions offered and you haven't given any feedback as to if you bothered to try either of them. Asking for help actually requires some participation and feedback in order for us to progress to another step.

Well don't on spotting that a 4 year old drone that required extensive hardware and software updates to make it flyable, produced by a company that went bankrupt has "problems". You'll fit right in here!

I am sorry. So my solo and conrtroller are updated to 2.4.2 and my gopro 4 silver is udated to v5.0 and there is no difference if i pull the camera off the connector on the back of camera/gimbal. but it is not damaged. i reconnected the gimbal to solo...

So you're getting a live feed from the solo via the 3DR app, but you cannot change any settings, start or stop recording in the 3DR app. Is this correct?

No I have not I am trying to figure out how to. I am hoping that is the issue but not fully convinced.....

I found out that the android nexus 7 screen resolution can not be changed so what next can i try?

I'm not overly familiar with the Nexus 7 but also make sure that your screen mode is set to "basic" and not "photo" or "cinema", Make sure the resolution is not exceeding 1920*1080, 1280*720 should be fine. Also make sure your GoPro's WiFi is turned off.

Are you getting any feed at all, or are you getting a feed, but no control over the camera? (ie can't start/stop recording, cannot adjust resolution etc...)

Reactions: E.J.H
I'm not overly familiar with the Nexus 7 but also make sure that your screen mode is set to "basic" and not "photo" or "cinema", Make sure the resolution is not exceeding 1920*1080, 1280*720 should be fine. Also make sure your GoPro's WiFi is turned off.

Are you getting any feed at all, or are you getting a feed, but no control over the camera? (ie can't start/stop recording, cannot adjust resolution etc...)
Yes I have live feed,just no control.. I will charge every thing to its max and then try again,

More than likely a data connection issue. If you can access another GP, try that first to confirm not a GP issue. Have you updated the GP firmware to at least version 3.xx?

If no joy... Start with the Data connector & wires in Solo first and then to the data connector port on the Solo gimbal board. Next is the Hero port on the gimbal and as well the camera, inspect to insure pins are not mangled or broken. Camera controls routes through those ports.

If the gimbal was purchased used, then you likely purchased someone's problem or mistake...Caveat emptor

The above is the best advice to trouble shooting a camera control issue for a Solo gimbal. Plenty of detailing here on the forum, search is your friend if you need pictures or further details.

Reactions: E.J.H
E.J.H., you never answered Rich's question (way back in November) about whether or not you selected your GoPro model in the Solo app's settings. If you never told the app that you have a Hero 4 Silver, then the app won't know how to control the camera. If you DID set that app setting correctly, please let us know. Otherwise my guess is that's the source of your problem.

model4s.png

Reactions: skyhax and E.J.H
E.J.H., you never answered Rich's question (way back in November) about whether or not you selected your GoPro model in the Solo app's settings. If you never told the app that you have a Hero 4 Silver, then the app won't know how to control the camera. If you DID set that app setting correctly, please let us know. Otherwise my guess is that's the source of your problem.

model4s.png
Yes I have. I even switched back and forth to make sure thats not the issue....

Ok so I contacted the seller and he had the gimbal working with a hero 4 black and iphone 6. Is there a big difference between the 4 black and the 4 silver? Or the nexus and iphone?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig