Solo Gimbal sound strange

Reaction score
Hi guys

Today i noticed a sound when Ifly my Solo and I move the camera down 90 degrees.
Here is the sound:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I will try to add a clip with this soun direct from my GP4 black.

Any ideeas why I get this sound?

Ok this is the sound recorded with gopro :

I send I ticket to 3DR. If must I send the link to support stuff to see the problem.

@Solo Keith : No, I do not look because I do not whant to lose my warranty.

Here is the gimbal when is flying:

I notice beside the noise a strange movement when I tilt down and up the camera.

Appears the motor is binding on something. Don't blame you for just leaving alone and letting 3DR handle the problem.

My gimbal(s) have made noise off and on through the last year during start up. It was described previously as that the gimbal motors have a low and high torque modes. I found back then to manually grab the camera holder portion and rotate it through it's full rotational axis while powered. This seems to exercise the gimbal motors to another torque mode and calm the noise.

It is the pitch gimbal motor resonating through the plastic shroud. I have not experienced that this noise equaled video with additional vibes. Further the gimbal is a lot tougher than many expect, don't be fooled by the plastic components. It is a well engineered product that does stand the test of time and my abuses.

Reactions: Solo Keith
What upsets me is that the gimbal is bought in June 2016.
Has actively about 5 to 6 flights, the biggest problem is that I go on vacation with broken gimbal.
I dot have time to replace the gimbal.
I sent a ticket to 3DR and I will se what they says.
I can use the gimbal but I can't record with camera face straight down. I have a shaky image.

Somehow I solved the noise ; one of the screw has fall ( i do not know how) I replace the screw and the noise is gone but first I clean the inside motor hood from dust and the ribon cable with compressed air spray.

I had this problem a while back to. If you lost a screw you must replace it, and screw it on tightly. If you have all screws on, you must tight the current screws on more. If you want a temporary solution, put some tape around the motor housing. One strand of tape may not be enough, so experiment.

Sup guys, I had this same problem this evening. Not sure how long it has been there, only heard that awful sound for the first time tonight - sounded like my miter saw. Exact same sound as Sauron, I mean Nazgul above in his video.

Anyway, took off the cover around the tilt motor - three screws, easy, just take care not to strip them. Everything looked ok. I powered up the solo with go pro in gimbal and tested the full range of the gimbal tilt without the cover on - no sound. So there was the culprit. Cleaned it up, took great care to put it back together without pinching any ribbon cables. All is well.

Of note, I took the tilt motor cover see once before and installed a weight in there as I am using ND Filters. So perhaps something got hung up on my weight (thought I put it out of the way), or I pinched something putting it back together. That was a while back, only thing I can think of.

Peace!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M