Solo Antenna Mods

I doubt its an issue with FPVLR. The Solo is sensitive to pitch changes. I always struggled with any wind gust, etc. If you want to fly a Solo long distance you need to keep it pretty level. Not very forgiving if you don't.

Pepperbox front and backside, clover & Mad mushroom antennas. It's been raining almost all day (much needed here!) Hopefully I'll be able to test sometime this weekend, weather permitting.

IMG_6142 - Copy.JPG

IMG_6143 - Copy.JPG

Note: the Pepperbox from readytoflyrc has an SMA connector - you'll need an SMA to RP-SMA adapter to connect it to the Solo controller.

Reactions: z3r01 and NYG
Pepperbox front and backside, clover & Mad mushroom antennas. It's been raining almost all day (much needed here!) Hopefully I'll be able to test sometime this weekend, weather permitting.

View attachment 954

View attachment 955

Note: the Pepperbox from readytoflyrc has an SMA connector - you'll need an SMA to RP-SMA adapter to connect it to the Solo controller.
I'd love to see an easy mod to put the MM antenna on the Solo, then use the FPVLR or pepperbox on the controller.

I'd love to see an easy mod to put the MM antenna on the Solo, then use the FPVLR or pepperbox on the controller.

It's actually what I intend to do eventually. I'll gain up to 3dBi back and hopefully minimize/remove cutouts when the Solo is rocking around in the air.

I'm not really touching the Solo internals it self just yet. I want my gimbal! haha

I just need a u.fl to SMA cable and I'll be wiring it to the rear leg, leaving the SMA connector hanging out of the existing hole for the stock antenna. The mad mushroom will angle slightly out from the leg, pointing down. I think I will wrap a thin strip of Velcro around the antenna stem and through the leg's Y joint to fix the antenna in place for easy removal.

I don't think I'll change the Solo's front antenna - seems to be awkward up front - especially with the gimbal. But I'll have to see.

The clover, I'm going to test on the controller to replace the one remaining omni.

My other wifi card for the Solo is waiting to be installed as well - will do it all at once. I have more than enough practical range right now.

I doubt its an issue with FPVLR. The Solo is sensitive to pitch changes. I always struggled with any wind gust, etc. If you want to fly a Solo long distance you need to keep it pretty level. Not very forgiving if you don't.
Thanks for the Tip rrmccabe!
I was pretty well pointing the FPVLR in straight line of sight with the Solo and not really moving all that much when all this was happening... But it also could be that I'm not use to the sensitivity of them compaire to the stock antennas ! ... Or it just didint like that area I was in !!
I just didint understand why would I lose signal to the Solo even thoe I had 2 strong bars of Signal strength showing on my controller !!
But mabe it could of been a glitch of some sort ..I'll be practicing more tomorrow morning and doing some more experiment with the FPVLR and getting more familiar with them..and see how they react in different areas and post back with my results..

Happy Flying

View attachment 954

View attachment 955

I want to see this in action lol get your gimbal already and start modding lol

Reactions: Lamda
I picked up my FPVLR used for $100 and it's been great. Flown out to 4000' with no problems.

FPVLR is best bang for the buck no?
I've been using FPVLR for a month or so now and have no problems with it.
Recently I took Solo out to about 4000 feet over Phoenix before I got a RTL. Flight altitude was about 200 ft.
I then swapped to the stock antenna and only made it to 1200 feet when I got the RTL.

Reactions: Trevor
I've been using FPVLR for a month or so now and have no problems with it.
Recently I took Solo out to about 4000 feet over Phoenix before I got a RTL. Flight altitude was about 200 ft.
I then swapped to the stock antenna and only made it to 1200 feet when I got the RTL.
thats settles it then haha. i also have the alfa antennae but never really noticed a big difference. i am more interested in building up a better safe buffer for wifi laden areas.

Reactions: Maddog
thats settles it then haha. i also have the alfa antennae but never really noticed a big difference. i am more interested in building up a better safe buffer for wifi laden areas.
Have you looked into the wifi card upgrades?

Have you looked into the wifi card upgrades?

i have not. i am a relatively technical person, but i didnt know if (how) i would go about doing that and the research involved.

i have not. i am a relatively technical person, but i didnt know if (how) i would go about doing that and the research involved.
There are a few threads in this forum on it, including an instructional video. The wifi cards are literally laptop cards that can be inserted into slots. Just take your time unscrewing the shell and don't force anything.

The controller wifi card is easiest to replace and you get great gains with just one card swapped even in highly congested wifi environments. Downtown Vancouver? Yup.

Depending on your setup, you can get more range than is safe or within line of sight and on the limits of what the batteries can reliably provide for a good exploratory flight. So really, do it for connection stability purposes.

There are posts with results documented in the forum. You don't need to change any software settings in Solo to get good results.

The antennas are a great mod too. Easier, perhaps. But the wifi card works with them all, increasing range for all your other antenna mods.

Reactions: PdxSteve
so I just ordered Alpha antenna
I already get 2000-2500 easy on the stock set up
but are we saying that just modding the controller card will help as well?
Read someone had an issue with a bad board after replacing the cards on the solo. so I dont plan on opening solo back up unless I absolutely have to. But if a card in the controller helps that might be a good option.

so I just ordered Alpha antenna
I already get 2000-2500 easy on the stock set up
but are we saying that just modding the controller card will help as well?
Read someone had an issue with a bad board after replacing the cards on the solo. so I dont plan on opening solo back up unless I absolutely have to. But if a card in the controller helps that might be a good option.
Yes, I ran with only the controller-only upgrade for quite some time as I wanted to try Solo with the gimbal before making larger changes to the system. Others have done the same for their own reasons - some were concerned with untested battery drain and heat.

The controller change is more conservative and changes none of these metrics for the bird. I think most people would agree, the controller battery life is a non issue, despite the availability to buy an extended battery.

I use one Alfa antenna with my upgraded wifi cards 90 percent of the time. Purely for portability and ease of use. As stated earlier, this is more than I need for line of sight flying for video/pictures but it makes for a stable connection.

While Solo is capable of flights well over 1 mile after upgrades, long distance single runs in the mile+ range is not what I got the Solo for. Everyone has different needs but I'd say it's the wrong platform if distance records are your main reason for flying. There are cheaper and better birds for that.

If you search wifi upgrade or wifi mod in the forum, many have documented their increases in different configurations wifi cards and antennas) and in different areas.

Also note, antenna mod gains are also generally highly dependent on your ability to aim as most of the high gain antennas are significantly more directional.

I am really more interested in steady close in signal
Honestly cannot see filming over 2000 feet away. but that is just me

I am really more interested in steady close in signal
Honestly cannot see filming over 2000 feet away. but that is just me
I agree. But it also depends on where you fly. I'm usually in urban areas. Away from people, yes, but with hundreds of wifi routers broadcasting within range of Solo and my controller.

Distance test numbers are good to compare when taken in the same environment but are less relevant to me when my environment and conditions don't match those of people on the forum. I've seen so many screenshots of empty prairie lands that show 2+ miles. Good to know, but the equipment won't behave identically in my area.

The wifi card(s) just give you a boost regardless of what you are doing. The single card swap likely works because the wifi cards from 3DR are actually pretty sensitive receivers, from all the anecdotal information I've seen on the web.

Reactions: pyrate
I forgot to come back and update - after dealing with gimbal issues and motor pod failure!

I swapped out my rear stock antenna on Solo when I swapped the wifi card and I replaced the antenna with an SMA-u.fl pigtail which I ran through the the leg hole that normally passes the stock antenna.

I mounted the SMA connector in the gap between the ridges of Solo's leg, using some adhesive backed foam tape and some zap straps.

Not the most elegant, but I don't like the idea of drilling through Solo's shell. I toyed with a metal pipe clamp but didn't want metal wrapped around the antenna. It's quite solid - I can unscrew and screw on antennas without moving the assembly. I use a strip of Velcro wrap around the joint assembly just to be sure the antenna is tethered to the bird. It also covers up the zap strap ends a little.

Eventually I'll make a 3D printed mount; I think that I can screw into one of the Solo leg screws, with a loner screw of course.

Now I can swap antennas at will. I've actually reused my extra Solo controller antenna on Solo as well when running all linear (since I use the Alfa patch on the controller). The stock controller antenna is actually quite good.

With my testing, I found the mad mushroom to be a better antenna for Solo than the clover when using circular polarized antennas like the Pepperbox.

Ironically, the ImmersionRC RHCP patch must not be as well circularized as it works better in combination with the Solo linear antenna vs the clover or mad mushroom.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44