Solex Firmware Install Please Help

Reaction score
Prior to this effort my drone had stock controller firmware and stock copter firmware. I took it for a flight last night, everything worked perfectly fine, no issues. Camera worked, flew for about 10-15 minutes.

I decided to install Open Solo 4 via Solex: Install via Solex App · OpenSolo/OpenSolo Wiki

I printed out the instructions, carefully read through once before I read through a second and third time. With the printed instructions I was checking the boxes as I went.

When I got to step 3.

Install Controller Package: From the firmware updates menu in Solex, tap the Open Solo 4-dev Clean Install (Controller)package that you previously downloaded.
  • Press install. Press install again when prompted again to confirm. This is your last chance to change your mind.
  • Be patient while numerous large files are extracted and scripts execute. Do not push buttons, exit the app, mess with the Solo, etc. Let it do its thing. Until it says it has completed.
  • Solex will tell you when the whole process is complete.
  • DO NOT REBOOT THE CONTROLLER YET! You must do the install for both the controller and the copter before rebooting anything. Once Solex tells you the install is complete, leave the controller and move on to the copter install.
The installation never finished. It just hung, the controller disconnected from the Solo drone, now all it says is waiting for solo on the controller. Solex doesn't see the drone anymore. I've tried to pair the drone with the controller again...no luck. Eventually the controller just turned off.

I have no idea what to do now.

Please help.

PS, I can connect to the controller, but the controller can't find the vehicle. Also, solex doesn't display the firmware update menu when it's not connected to the vehicle. Should I pair another controller and install the copter firmware (I have two more controllers) I just have no idea what to do and how to get this thing flying again. A factory reset doesn't work on the controller it wont factory reset like my other controllers will.

Last edited:
Update...

I did a factory reset on the drone and pulled the battery out of the controller and did a factory reset. This got me back to square one. I am able to get the controller to pair with the drone however I get a message to launch the 3DR app to calibrate before first flight and Solex will connect to wifi but not the vehicle.

1640985876088.png
1640985898958.png

I may try and install arducopter firmware, copter IMX and controller IMX via SSH instead of via solex and see where that gets me.

How do you brick the controller or drone so I know what NOT to do.

Thanks,

Bryan

Update...

I did a factory reset on the drone and pulled the battery out of the controller and did a factory reset. This got me back to square one. I am able to get the controller to pair with the drone however I get a message to launch the 3DR app to calibrate before first flight and Solex will connect to wifi but not the vehicle.

View attachment 11842
View attachment 11843

I may try and install arducopter firmware, copter IMX and controller IMX via SSH instead of via solex and see where that gets me.

Thanks,

Bryan
I wish I could help but I know nothing of the aftermarket apps. I have considered installing them just as you are doing but I have read many instances of occurrences just like you are having. I fear I am not savvy enough in the ways of software gremlins to figure my way out of them. Please keep updating this thread to let us know what happens.
Good luck,
SKuhn68

Suggestion only based on what I've read about Solex installs. The original reset firmware does not get over-ridden. So you probably can do the reset on the controller only and try to start over from sq. one. Maybe you got a wifi interruption on your first go around that hung it. Also there's a blurb in the instructions about no beep, no indicate when update finishes so wait at least 6 minutes ... I've done a couple of these and wait 10 minutes as the units seem to do nothing .. but really are updating. The controller resets ITSELF and restarts during all this, just leave it waaaaay alone for a long time.. best of luck, you have a real good chance here.

Reactions: ChrisLJ10
In December 2021, to fly my 3DR Solo after a long time, I was forced to buy the Solex app and update the firmware, in my case because I turned them off too quickly I had to disarm the drone and the controller to install the Open Solo 4 on their respective SD cards. Then pressing the reset button under the drone for 3 seconds and A + B of the controller pairing both of them, but after several attempts it did not recognize the drone on my Sony cell phone, then i tried a Huawei tablet and neither.

Finally worked with a Xiaomi MIUI 9 cell phone and I was able to fly my 3DR Solo again. You could also try with more modern cell phones.

My problem now is the batteries.

Reactions: BetBar
i completed the factory reset then used solex to do firmware just like the information given step instructions, i was unable to complete the calibrations and something popped up (peram 25%) So i went back to square one, and attempted to reset controller and drone again, controller reset perfectly but drone, when you power up holding the PAIR, it goes into the fast orange light flashing and then after a bit it goes to a slow flashing and nothing happening after 30 minutes. just flashing.. tried pairing drone to controller and pair completed, but not found on the solex app. Vehicle not found. PS, i dont know if it has any bearing, but i have several solo drones, and was able to complete the first one and get into the air no problem, but the second one is giving me issues.

Hello everyone, I need some assistance getting my firmware upgrade process completed. I followed these instructions (documentation/install_solex.md at master · OpenSolo/documentation) and when I get to step 3 where it asks me to install, I was able to successfully install the Controller firmware. However, I get an error 127 when trying to install the Copter firmware. I have tried multiple times and I get the same error. Any suggestion?

Hello everyone, I need some assistance getting my firmware upgrade process completed. I followed these instructions (documentation/install_solex.md at master · OpenSolo/documentation) and when I get to step 3 where it asks me to install, I was able to successfully install the Controller firmware. However, I get an error 127 when trying to install the Copter firmware. I have tried multiple times and I get the same error. Any suggestion?
I am using Samsung Tab S2 and Solex will not let me upload the firmware at all. I have 3 of the same setups, so I am currently screwed. Running Android 6.02. Anyone that can help me, so grateful! Sean

Locations turned ON , on your cellphone / tablet ?

Locations turned ON , on your cellphone / tablet ?
I have no cellular service on these. The GPS has been great up until having to switch to Solex/Open Solo. Yes my locations are turned on,but double checked all three Tablets (Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 - WiFi and BT only). These tablets are excellent for their age. Well ahead of their time. But there have been issues. I am running Android 7 Nougat. There is no reason that it should say that the firmware is not compatible with the device…?? Or am I missing something here. Flying a Solo is like taking a 400 level aeronautical engineering class, but you have a scavenger hunt for all the key notes. F***!!! Sorry, but we have all been there with one.

Where are you with this, still dead in the water?
The #1 thing about this Solex install is WAITING for the processes to complete.
We have no clear indication of when it is safe to restart or proceed with a step.
We only have a 'procedure' to follow and as far as moving to the next phase in the procedure I wait way beyond the suggested time.

If you are really stuck you can try the microSD card imaging to put things back, but it seems only the drone needs it where your controller is salvagable and you have got it back to the updatable state.

Update...

View attachment 11842
View attachment 11843

Thanks,

Bryan
Hey Bryan i just got my solo 4 days ago and running solex but no firmware update yet. why do i need to update is drone is fly nice now?

Im doing the Open Solo 4.0 firmware update and my SOLO is showing a Green and Red light in the front and two yellow light on the back.

Attachments

• 20230205_121858.jpg
    20230205_121858.jpg
    1,013 KB · Views: 5
I tried factory reset but nothing changed, the remote control says that it is paired with the drone, yes the application only sees the remote control, what can I do in this case?

Hello, I gave up, if I could do a factory reset I would be able to do it, but I gave up for the moment!

Hello, I gave up, if I could do a factory reset I would be able to do it, but I gave up for the moment!
You have to turn on location (GPS) in your phone otherwise solex will not connect to the drone.

Colours red and green in front and yellow at rear means that drone isn't ready to arm. It's waiting for GPS fix or has any problem. When it gets GPS fix yellow change to white but still cannot arm. When white or yellow lights flashing you can arm and fly.

Yellow flashing when you change to manual fly (without GPS fix) and drone is ready to arm.

In December 2021, to fly my 3DR Solo after a long time, I was forced to buy the Solex app and update the firmware, in my case because I turned them off too quickly I had to disarm the drone and the controller to install the Open Solo 4 on their respective SD cards. Then pressing the reset button under the drone for 3 seconds and A + B of the controller pairing both of them, but after several attempts it did not recognize the drone on my Sony cell phone, then i tried a Huawei tablet and neither.

Finally worked with a Xiaomi MIUI 9 cell phone and I was able to fly my 3DR Solo again. You could also try with more modern cell phones.

My problem now is the batteries.
Original batteries are old (unusable) and I did upgrade to BMS One and simple (no smart) Li-Pol or Li-Ion batteries. It works very good for me. I mainly use 4s2p Li-Ion batteries which are 100g lighter than original one.

BMSOne – the universal BMS – Madhacker.org

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc