Signal strength issues

Reaction score
When running stock antennas or FPVLR antenna I don't seem to get signal better than -20dB even when standing right next to solo. After taking off and even around 100 feet away I am in the -50dB range. At 1500 whether with the FPVLR or stock antennas I get jittery video and -70dB. Haven't tried to go farther than that. Is this normal?

When running stock antennas or FPVLR antenna I don't seem to get signal better than -20dB even when standing right next to solo. After taking off and even around 100 feet away I am in the -50dB range. At 1500 whether with the FPVLR or stock antennas I get jittery video and -70dB. Haven't tried to go farther than that. Is this normal?

Are you flying in a WiFi congested area?

In a field/park with neighborhoods surrounding. Direction of flight was over a forest. Guess I should try something more rural.

In a field/park with neighborhoods surrounding. Direction of flight was over a forest. Guess I should try something more rural.

Have you ever triggered RTH at that location and do you know what the RSSI was when it triggered?

My experience has been in heavy WiFi areas RTH can trigger around -70 to -72. It's a real battle to fight through the noise. I had experienced RTH at as little as 600'.

I have triggered RTH at around 1500 feet in this location. Given the number of close houses I would have to rate this area as pretty wifi congested. Since I don't have the luxury of multiple solos and controllers, I don't know if this is what people are getting. Didn't see much difference with the FPVLR antenna in the congested area.

I'm still trying to understand what will interfere with Solo. 3DR has been of little help with this.

So far I believe that Solo will only use WiFi channels 6 and 11. Maybe someone can prove me wrong? This may only be between the controller and the smart phone/tablet. I'm not sure if there is another hidden link between the controller and the Solo, but I doubt it exists.

Use a WiFi app before you fly and if there are strong signals on channels 6 and 11 thren you may have a problem flying, even if other channels look OK.

Does anyone have any more data?

I'm still trying to understand what will interfere with Solo. 3DR has been of little help with this.

So far I believe that Solo will only use WiFi channels 6 and 11. Maybe someone can prove me wrong? This may only be between the controller and the smart phone/tablet. I'm not sure if there is another hidden link between the controller and the Solo, but I doubt it exists.

Use a WiFi app before you fly and if there are strong signals on channels 6 and 11 thren you may have a problem flying, even if other channels look OK.

Does anyone have any more data?

The solo hostapd.conf configuration files limit it to channels 6 and 11. I haven't tested it but commenting the chanlist parameter out should have it auto select the channel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian [P13]
Does anyone know if they plan an interface link for this on the app? It would seem to be reasonable "advanced" setting, and fairly quick to implement I n a subsequent release.

Does anyone know if they plan an interface link for this on the app? It would seem to be a reasonable "advanced" setting, and fairly quick to implement in a subsequent release.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44