Screen and sd tryvideo flicker

Reaction score
Well I tested every way I could with what I have available and beside being attached and plugged in to solo I can not get my hero 4 black to flicker like it does on solo.

I first noticed after it happened that when you turn solo on or off gopro screen flashes blank, doesn't affect anything it does it when recording or not and I assume with that solo has to do more than simply send your feed or this shouldn't happen right?

Beside that I tried hero on the ground, in my garage, in every lighting I could come up with and no flicker so leaning toward solo being the cause. Then I went a step further and flew my p2 tonight right after flying it on solo and hero only flickered on solo not p2.
Tried this back and forth different ways both sunsets this weekend and got 0 issues other than those both in my feed and on my sd card video when flying on solo plugged in. Unplugged on solo recorded video is great so it almost has to be caused by solo even though it really shouldn't affect video on my card it does. I can only guess solo is pulling some power from hero and causing the consistent alarm like flashing because it's lacking normal battery power. Maybe?

If anybody else is having similar issues let me know I'm going to try my hero 3 next I'd rather not send a support ticket to 3dr if ito gopro but I just don't see how it can be if it never happens any other time.

In case anybody missed other posts it only happens at sunrise and sunset like its adjusting to light but it's constant over and over like an alarm not off and on with lighting. When it starts it won't stop even if lights changed. The only remedy I've found is using video plus photos setting on gopro which seems odd but worked a lot over the past week so I'm kinda clueless.

But this is ending up on your SD card final video right?

Well I tested every way I could with what I have available and beside being attached and plugged in to solo I can not get my hero 4 black to flicker like it does on solo.

I first noticed after it happened that when you turn solo on or off gopro screen flashes blank, doesn't affect anything it does it when recording or not and I assume with that solo has to do more than simply send your feed or this shouldn't happen right?

Beside that I tried hero on the ground, in my garage, in every lighting I could come up with and no flicker so leaning toward solo being the cause. Then I went a step further and flew my p2 tonight right after flying it on solo and hero only flickered on solo not p2.
Tried this back and forth different ways both sunsets this weekend and got 0 issues other than those both in my feed and on my sd card video when flying on solo plugged in. Unplugged on solo recorded video is great so it almost has to be caused by solo even though it really shouldn't affect video on my card it does. I can only guess solo is pulling some power from hero and causing the consistent alarm like flashing because it's lacking normal battery power. Maybe?

If anybody else is having similar issues let me know I'm going to try my hero 3 next I'd rather not send a support ticket to 3dr if ito gopro but I just don't see how it can be if it never happens any other time.

In case anybody missed other posts it only happens at sunrise and sunset like its adjusting to light but it's constant over and over like an alarm not off and on with lighting. When it starts it won't stop even if lights changed. The only remedy I've found is using video plus photos setting on gopro which seems odd but worked a lot over the past week so I'm kinda clueless.

Sounds like the Auto Exposure function on your GoPro is messed up.

Sounds like the Auto Exposure function on your GoPro is messed up.
But wouldn't you think it would do it off the quad or at least on it unplugged even on the phantom in the same place 5 minutes apart I can't get it to happen. This plus seeing next to nothing searching for this in gopro forums just seems real odd then reaper said he's getting the same results as well.

I have to update to this newest firmware maybe that or the gimbal will somehow work it out. Then I try video plus photo mode and it's fine but using the same 1080 30 settings with video isn't it's strange at best.

Also why does gopro lcd screen flash when you power up or down solo is that normal or could it be internally something has solder or who knows connecting spots on the board. Guess I should take em apart if the updates don't change anything and check I'm trying anything not to buy a third gopro I have no real use for the other one now just wanted control with solo and others a 3.

I have to update to this newest firmware maybe that or the gimbal will somehow work it out. Then I try video plus photo mode and it's fine but using the same 1080 30 settings with video isn't it's strange at best.

Also why does gopro lcd screen flash when you power up or down solo is that normal or could it be internally something has solder or who knows connecting spots on the board. Guess I should take em apart if the updates don't change anything and check I'm trying anything not to buy a third gopro I have no real use for the other one now just wanted control with solo and others a 3.
When it happens does it continue if you unplug it from Solo?

Sorry if I am being repetitive. Do you have a mini HDMI to standard cable?

Do you have another GoPro, or know someone that does?

These would both be good troubleshooting tools.

Yea I have both a hero 3 and the cable I remember you mentioned that before just forgot to try the cable today I planned to try the other gopro tomorrow and I'll try the cable as well. Should have time to pin it down tomorrow. I'm not sure if it stops on my card when I unplug it I gota check my recent vids tomorrow. Was experimenting while getting kids ready for bed and other things. I'll update tomorrow nights ter work. Thanks for the help troubleshooting fellas.

How to test with cable though I can't get it to flicker beside when attached to solo starting mid flight I'll have to bring it down leave it record and see if it keeps flickering after unplugged and plugged into the hdmi cable. But checking the card when I unplug it after it starts to flash should tell me more.

Interesting. So its like the solo is causing interference or something. Hmm

Yea it's got me confused hopefully after work I can figure it out for sure if it does the same with my 3 but I'm not sure if the two versions will do the same thing since most aren't seeing an issue. I'll try the cable too but it's hit and miss so I'm not sure I'll be able to do it that way.

Yea I have both a hero 3 and the cable I remember you mentioned that before just forgot to try the cable today I planned to try the other gopro tomorrow and I'll try the cable as well. Should have time to pin it down tomorrow. I'm not sure if it stops on my card when I unplug it I gota check my recent vids tomorrow. Was experimenting while getting kids ready for bed and other things. I'll update tomorrow nights ter work. Thanks for the help troubleshooting fellas.
If it continues to do it after unplugging Solo and plugging in something else, it is hard to imagine it is the Solo. Tough anyway since it is just taking HDMI in.

Bottom line is to continually cut the problem in half.

In this case, GoPro or Solo? If you swap the GoPro and the problem goes away, you know where to concentrate your efforts, and cut it in half again. Hardware or firmware? And so on. .

Interesting. So its like the solo is causing interference or something. Hmm
I have a GoPro in for heat problems now. Have had various in the past. They do have a good return/replacement policy.

This one turns everything pink after it heats up. Another would just lock up after it warmed up. I instinctively put both in the fridge to test. Sure enough, both worked, until warm

I have seen issues in all kinds of electrionics having to do with warming and cooling. "back in the day" I used to have a piece of cardboard with foam glued to it, and cutouts of various standard IC shapes. I used a hair dryer and freeze spray as a tool in some occasions to quickly find intermittent problems

Given this is on;y HDMI out, it is difficult to think of how the Solo could possibly be doing this. In theory possible, but really unlikely and even more so where it works for a while. But the sure test is to send up another camera. It will either do it or not. If it doesn't then you likely have your answer. If you hook up a similar cable to the camera in question and some other display and the problems still shows up, then you really have a definitive answer...

Reactions: rrmccabe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks