Relish3d HDMI Ribbon Cable Received...

Jerry, that looks pretty good! How does it compare with video you previously shot?

How was the video feed to your tablet/ phone?

Jerry, that looks pretty good! How does it compare with video you previously shot?

How was the video feed to your tablet/ phone?

Maddog,

Honestly, I haven't had the time do do any comparisons. We're trying to get packed up to head out for a few days (Solo & P3 in tow). I didn't see much jitter but I'll have to do some more testing to be sure. I really just wanted to get it out there for people who are trying to decide whether they want to change out their OEM cable. The feed on the tablet seemed good.

Jerry

Sounds like it should work. I can't say it looks any better than what I'm getting now, so I'll wait and see what develops.

Thanks Jerry!

Reactions: J R
Maddog,

Honestly, I haven't had the time do do any comparisons. We're trying to get packed up to head out for a few days (Solo & P3 in tow). I didn't see much jitter but I'll have to do some more testing to be sure. I really just wanted to get it out there for people who are trying to decide whether they want to change out their OEM cable. The feed on the tablet seemed good.

Jerry
So if the feed on the tablet looked good, then that's a good sign.

In theory, an unshielded cable could:
  1. Interfere with the live video stream.
  2. Interfere with the compass, causing toilet bowling when the Solo should hover in place.
  3. Interfere with GPS causing long wait times to get a lock, or causing unreliable GPS while in flight.
2 or 3 could cause a crash, so while you test be ready to flip to manual to recover.

I've had compass problems that caused toilet bowling before (on other drones, pre Solo). It can start as small little circles you hardly notice as the drone is supposed to hover in place. If you let it go long enough, the circles get bigger and bigger and the drone starts moving faster and faster, until it's basically out of control. So heads ups for that.

Reactions: Maddog and J R
So if the feed on the tablet looked good, then that's a good sign.

In theory, an unshielded cable could:
  1. Interfere with the live video stream.
  2. Interfere with the compass, causing toilet bowling when the Solo should hover in place.
  3. Interfere with GPS causing long wait times to get a lock, or causing unreliable GPS while in flight.
2 or 3 could cause a crash, so while you test be ready to flip to manual to recover.

I've had compass problems that caused toilet bowling before (on other drones, pre Solo). It can start as small little circles you hardly notice as the drone is supposed to hover in place. If you let it go long enough, the circles get bigger and bigger and the drone starts moving faster and faster, until it's basically out of control. So heads ups for that.
Oh and:
4. Interfere with RC connection.

Really curious to hear about yours, and others results on this. I'm happy with the smoothness on my Solo now, but this looks like a good mod.

Erik,

That's some pretty important stuff to know! Maybe I'd better try and shield that thing before I create an incident. Any ideas on the best way to go about that? Thanks very much for the info!

Jerry
Not really. Not without ending up with a cable as stiff as the original.

But I'd go for it as is. Those are just the *potential* issues. Your not getting number 1 (interference with the live feed), so maybe you won't get the other issues!

You might want to stay low and careful while you test. Watch for a change in the Solo's behavior when you start and stop recording on the GoPro.

Pro,

Not sure why it only uploaded at 1080p. You'd have to ask the Relish3d guts why they didn't shield it. So yours are shielded?

Jerry
Guys... I've checked and the cables are shielded on both sides of the ribbon cable. I was not able to confirm earlier as my supplier was not providing me the confirmation I needed but compared to my latest shielded ribbons.. It is exactly the same.

David
Relish3D

Reactions: erikgraham
Guys... I've checked and the cables are shielded on both sides of the ribbon cable. I was not able to confirm earlier as my supplier was not providing me the confirmation I needed but compared to my latest shielded ribbons.. It is exactly the same.

David
Relish3D

David,

So you're saying that my cable is shielded? Thanks for your input. The cable itself looked good but I'd probable pack them a little better.

Jerry

Guys... David here from Relish3D.

The ribbon cables are fully shielded. I was unable to confirm earlier but was able to recently confirm.

As for installing the cable, it is not for the faint hearted as you need to remove the main board. Due to this, we are preparing a version 3 to the cable. The new cables will be 5cm long only instead of the 10cm. It will have a female to male connection and the connectors are going to be straight instead of the current right angled.

Why?

We decided to start from scratch and develop a pigtail
connector instead that extends the current HDMI. This will make the installation a lot easier and not having to risk removing the motherboard. We are expecting the prototype to be ready end of next week and once tested... We will release it.

Cheers...

David

Reactions: erikgraham
David,

So you're saying that my cable is shielded? Thanks for your input. The cable itself looked good but I'd probable pack them a little better.

Jerry
Jerry... Thanks for the feedback. Lesson learnt. I've placed order for better and thicker envelops to better secure the cables.

Thanks.
David

David,

I ordered the 1.0 HDMI cable a while back, still haven't received it but probably will in a few more days. Guess it's been a few weeks now. Truthfully, I was not looking forward to removing the main board as I am not very good at that kind of stuff. Although, I have become quite adept at removing the battery tray, gimbal, and manipulating the HDMI and data cables as part of the Standard Operating Procedure I would much prefer the pigtail option and simpler installation procedure. Any chance I could get a credit for my 1.0 against the 3.0 cable?

Any chance I could get a credit for my 1.0 against the 3.0 cable?

David,

I had the same thought after seeing there was already a "revised" cable. After thinking about it for a bit and being comforted by the fact that this cable is fully shielded, I think the cable I received may actually be the better option. First, there isn't an additional connection like there will be with the revised cable. Second, the revised cable is just going to put more stuff in the already limited space. Third, once installed it is very clean in there. Lot's more space and much less stuff to move around to cause potential conflict.

The install is not that difficult and did not require complete removal of the main board in my case. The whole process took me maybe 25 minutes and that was really because I was being extremely cautious. Anyway, I just wanted to provide you with a few of my thoughts before you made a final decision.

Jerry

Reactions: Maddog
Jerry,

Thanks and that has eased my concern about taking it apart. I thought the same thing also, a lot more stuff, longer run, etc. I am going to stay with the original now. Guess it can't be terribly difficult if one is careful. Thanks again.

David

David,

Just thought I'd drop this video in here in case you haven't seen it. It worked for me. Mine was just a bit tighter than this video shows.

Jerry

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks Jerry, exactly what I needed. A "how to" video. Perfect and thanks again.

David

Guys... David here from Relish3D.

The ribbon cables are fully shielded. I was unable to confirm earlier but was able to recently confirm.

As for installing the cable, it is not for the faint hearted as you need to remove the main board. Due to this, we are preparing a version 3 to the cable. The new cables will be 5cm long only instead of the 10cm. It will have a female to male connection and the connectors are going to be straight instead of the current right angled.

Why?

We decided to start from scratch and develop a pigtail
connector instead that extends the current HDMI. This will make the installation a lot easier and not having to risk removing the motherboard. We are expecting the prototype to be ready end of next week and once tested... We will release it.

Cheers...

David
Will you continue to sell both versions? I don't mind pulling out the board and might just prefer to swap the whole cable.

Can someone post weight of the stock solo hdmi cable and the Relish3d cable?
Thanks!

You need to take care when putting the battery bay back into place as the ribbon cable could get pinched. It could pinch right at one of the battery bay screws posts. The one where the battery connector is located. If not paying attention you could poke a hole in it when reinstalling the screw.
Ditto. Mine got beween the post and hole, and I started the screw but was doing it very gently and noticed it wasn't threading. so I stopped, thankfully. No damage but whew, close call.

Love the cable. This should have been part of the original spec.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc