Question about taking off and landing.

Yes or no?

• Yes.

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to do a take off and landing out of your hand?

What? Your crazy... I enjoy my face.

It can be done but the risk is their. It's not the taking off thats risky it's the landing into the hand due to solo moving around in flight. I've flown my Solo in places were I had no were to land easily so I just did the kill command (A+B+pause) above some small bushes and let I fall into it.

By the way I never use "fly" to take off or land. I always use the sticks and control it myself.

i never had any issues taking off

if the surface isn't level or completely rock solid I handcatch now.

if you dont have a flat surface upon landing and it gets windy....good luck!

I've caught mine a couple of times, high on a leg. Sometimes the LZ isn't exactly ideal.

Colin does it on this video,

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The real problem with doing this is that Solo needs to sense that it's on level ground that it's not moving at the time of takeoff. So theoretically if you could hold it perfectly level and perfectly still...then you could do it. The real problem is that Solo doesn't really have a good safe place to grab it like Phantom does. You'd have to grab the body, which puts your arms dangerously close to the props.

The real problem with doing this is that Solo needs to sense that it's on level ground that it's not moving at the time of takeoff. So theoretically if you could hold it perfectly level and perfectly still...then you could do it...
..and that's why Colin takes off from land, and why the survey question at the top is not answerable in its current form -- landing (hand catch) is possible; hand arming and then launching... not so possible.

So I just catch it when I hold down the FLY button? Thanks for responding everyone!

So I just catch it when I hold down the FLY button? Thanks for responding everyone!
I don't know if anyone said that. I have never used the Fly button to take off or to land, either on solid ground or to hand catch. YMMV

No - just don't catch it period.

it's not a bad idea when you're faced in a small space, say the summit of a mountain where there's no flat surface.

you dont want the Solo to flip/hop in that situation...because down the mountain it goes.

Hell no - when I hand catch, I get underneath Solo as it's hovering, reach up, and use the left stick to bring it down into my hand, then hold the stick down until it powers down and disarms. Only then do I consider bringing it down from above me.

The best place to grab it is behind the gimbal where the accessory bay is.

Everyone just remember how utterly damned dangerous this is.

Everyone just remember how utterly damned dangerous this is.
I still believe it can be done (because I've done it) with some common sense, and perhaps a nickel's worth of stick experience. Sticking your hand and arm out and pressing the 'Fly' button doesn't qualify for the former.

I still believe it can be done (because I've done it) with some common sense, and perhaps a nickel's worth of stick experience. Sticking your hand and arm out and pressing the 'Fly' button doesn't qualify for the former.
Sure, it can be done. You can also start a bonfire in your living room.
Sorry, maybe I'm a bit out of the mainstream on this... but I keep seeing the look on a friend's face as he held together the pieces of his nose after catching a Phantom.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44