Queestion about pairing Controller with Solo

Reaction score
I purchased a 3DR Solo on ebay. The previous owner did a factory reset before sending it to me but did not do "Pair the Controller with the Drone" after the reset.

Initially he had me try a few different passwords before we realized I should be using the generic "sololink" password after the his factory reset.

The generic "sololink" is accepted when I go to connect but the Controller can't find the Drone.

Should it now be a simple matter of me now doing the Pairing process to resolve this issue?

I wanted to ask the forum as I'm leery of doing anything out of sync that could screw up this process.

All input appreciated Thanks

Yea as simple as it sounds, people usually neglect to read manuals. I'm one of those people.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
I purchased a 3DR Solo on ebay. The previous owner did a factory reset before sending it to me but did not do "Pair the Controller with the Drone" after the reset.

Initially he had me try a few different passwords before we realized I should be using the generic "sololink" password after the his factory reset.

The generic "sololink" is accepted when I go to connect but the Controller can't find the Drone.

Should it now be a simple matter of me now doing the Pairing process to resolve this issue?

I wanted to ask the forum as I'm leery of doing anything out of sync that could screw up this process.

All input appreciated Thanks
SOME android devices (not all) have had issues with finding the drone even if it's paired to the controller. If you've managed to pair your drone to the controller (ie. you've done your reset, you had the message come up on your controller "press a & b to pair" & "pairing in progress" ) and your software still can't find the drone, then go into your app manager. Clear your cache and saved data. Restart the app and pair with the controller again, this time it should see both the controller and the drone (you'll need to also wait about 10 seconds).

I'm not sure why, but I've not had this problem with Open Solo, however when I was repairing some stock drones last week, same issue, all my drones but the stock drones were able to connect with no issues. With the stock drones I had to clear the cache to get it to work. Then again since I'm using the worlds crappiest tablet maybe that plays a big part.

Good luck and happy flying!

SOME android devices (not all) have had issues with finding the drone even if it's paired to the controller. If you've managed to pair your drone to the controller (ie. you've done your reset, you had the message come up on your controller "press a & b to pair" & "pairing in progress" ) and your software still can't find the drone, then go into your app manager. Clear your cache and saved data. Restart the app and pair with the controller again, this time it should see both the controller and the drone (you'll need to also wait about 10 seconds).

I'm not sure why, but I've not had this problem with Open Solo, however when I was repairing some stock drones last week, same issue, all my drones but the stock drones were able to connect with no issues. With the stock drones I had to clear the cache to get it to work. Then again since I'm using the worlds crappiest tablet maybe that plays a big part.

Good luck and happy flying!

Thanks very much for the detailed information and civility :) . Much appreciated.

Reactions: Ralph E. Johnson
Thanks very much for the detailed information and civility :) . Much appreciated.
My fix only applies if you have multiple drones and multiple controllers. Peddles2paddles wasn't kidding, 98% of the time people with pairing problems have these issues because they've pressed the button instead of holding it down for 2 seconds (like it says in the manual). The manual actually does have a lot of worthwhile drone related information and safety guidelines that should be followed. So seriously, if you haven't read it, go give it a thorough read. It also tells you how to perform factory resets and what your default password is. ;)

You can also search the forums for answers, I just use the rule that if the answer is 1 or more years older and deals relates to solutions using previous software, then I can ask again in case there's an updated answer.

Good luck and happy flying. Post some photo's or video's of your flights!

Reactions: Herb Z
I'll put my 2 cents worth in. After pairing and pressing the "A" button I have found that you can't turn the controller off, you will have to remove the battery plug for a second and plug back in.
PS: You have not made a friend with one of the most helpful and knowledgeable (He led the team to save Solo) Person on Solo's. I noticed that he was the first to try to help you. : (

Last edited:
First... I want to say thanks for all the help and info. I've owned my original Solo for awhile now and always found the forum helpful.... and I'm aware that there are folks here who know more about these drones than I ever will.

However, I want to be clear here... and my point isn't to fuel a pissing match. I'm familiar with the manual as well as safety guidelines of flying drones. I turned to the forum in this case because the manual did not specifically answer my concerns.

I posted this question because the former owner of this Solo has done the Factory Reset but not the Pairing. My concern was that, unaware of what he'd done, I'd tried entering and deleting passwords he suggested etc. Once he informed me he hadn't done the Pairing I was not sure whether to simply do it at this point or perhaps I'd have to do the whole Factory Reset/Pairing process from the beginning. Consulting the manual, searching the forum and Googling I could not find an answer... so I posted here. Googling also brings up tons of people complaining about having problems with the process...hence I was hoping to get input prior to going any further in this "interrupted" Factory Reset/Pairing process.

Again... thanks to all for the input. I won't have a chance to try the pairing or any additional trouble shooting for a few days. Fingers crossed :)

Your not alone.

I had a heck of a time with my Solo 2. If you do a factory reset you will want to update. I leave the default sololink password in until after the update process. This is what I did. First after a factory reset on Solo and the controller I paired them. Turn Solo and the controller on, press the button on the bottom of Solo for 1-2 seconds and wait for the controller to display new Solo found. Press A and B as indicated to pair Solo and the controller. Once paired open the app and connect using sololink as the password.

Download the update if available (switch WiFi) then continue to update. After my controller updated and rebooted it would not reconnect with Solo. I waited 1/2 hour "waiting for Solo". I switched Solo on and off, tried Solex, an Apple device and Solo would not connect.

Finally I read somewhere to remove the Solo's SD card, which I did. I put the SD card in a Windows machine to read it. I put it back in my Solo and my update went through. This worked for me but I'm not sure it will work for you.

I would like to ask a question the people of this forum, who certainly have had experiences with 3DR SOLO. The manual is not objective, regarding the initial procedures to fly. so I ask: Just connect the controller, the ground and the application and follow the instructions or need to trigger the reset, calibrate compass and level before flying? Sorry English, I'm Brazilian. thank you all

I myself had lots of pairing issues in the past. Some of them were from not holding the pairing button long enough ( I swear, two seconds is great but I often found it took 3 seconds... then again, maybe I count fast..). ;)

I did find other issues like the controller would pair to the bird, however I would then open the solex app or the 3DR app, the app would see the controller, but not the bird. I would then have to delete the app cache and data before it would see the bird. Maddening!

However, since upgrading to open solo I've not had this issue. I'd pair the bird to the controller (the process has only changed slightly with having to hold down A&B until the pairing message appears) open the app and then............ WAIT! Yup, within a few moments Solex see's the bird (I haven't gone near the 3DR app since the open solo update and since I'm so happy with Solex).

However, have to ask, is there a maximum amount of solo's one can pair with a single controller? I'm currently using 3 and I don't recall having any issues. I've got two other birds but they are still running stock solo software (and one controller running stock software also).

I think there may be an issue down the road with anyone running stock solo software (and correct me if I'm wrong) but when you perform a factory reset on the controller, it's going to want to contact the 3DR servers for the "preflight update". Since those 3DR severs are likely to be offline down the road, you may just end up with a useless brick of a controller (unless you can get a copy of the image for the SD card, open the controller, swap it out....basically a lot of work compared to the rather simple upgrade process).

My fix only applies if you have multiple drones and multiple controllers. Peddles2paddles wasn't kidding, 98% of the time people with pairing problems have these issues because they've pressed the button instead of holding it down for 2 seconds (like it says in the manual). The manual actually does have a lot of worthwhile drone related information and safety guidelines that should be followed. So seriously, if you haven't read it, go give it a thorough read. It also tells you how to perform factory resets and what your default password is. ;)

You can also search the forums for answers, I just use the rule that if the answer is 1 or more years older and deals relates to solutions using previous software, then I can ask again in case there's an updated answer.

Good luck and happy flying. Post some photo's or video's of your flights!
Maurício wanderley tried to comment to you but it went to the wrong place. I am posting the comment here for him. I had to translate it so I hope it is correct...

I did a factory upgrade, I followed all the steps. I flew with the ground for 10 minutes. It returned automatically because it presented a calibration problem. After that the controller does not connect to the ground. The orange light does not light during reset. The manufacturer agreed to change it. I bought another drone and I'm afraid to restart it.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
My question is regarding the order of the procedures for setting up the Solo. the setup guide tells us to connect the control, the Solo, and the 3DR application. Follow the update instructions. In the Setup Guide you are not suggesting to press the PAIR button for 2 seconds, nor does it suggest level and compass alignment. My question is what routine should I follow to fly safely?
Thank you Mauricio

My question is regarding the order of the procedures for setting up the Solo. the setup guide tells us to connect the control, the Solo, and the 3DR application. Follow the update instructions. In the Setup Guide you are not suggesting to press the PAIR button for 2 seconds, nor does it suggest level and compass alignment. My question is what routine should I follow to fly safely?
Thank you Mauricio
Turn on controller.
Pair to your smart device (phone or tablet). Open Solo App.
Controller should request a "preflight update" from the 3dr servers.
Solo App will want to disconnect from controller, open an internet connection and download the update from the 3DR servers.
Upon completion you'll need to reconnect to your controller.
You'll also need to power on your drone and pair it to the controller.
At this point the 3DR app should see both the controller and the drone.
It will then load the 3DR update to the controller and then from the controller to the drone.

The controller/and/or the drone may reboot during this process.

When the update is complete, do a Level and Compass calibration.

Go fly

Have fun.

Reactions: Sylvia-Khatt
First... I want to say thanks for all the help and info. I've owned my original Solo for awhile now and always found the forum helpful.... and I'm aware that there are folks here who know more about these drones than I ever will.

However, I want to be clear here... and my point isn't to fuel a pissing match. I'm familiar with the manual as well as safety guidelines of flying drones. I turned to the forum in this case because the manual did not specifically answer my concerns.

I posted this question because the former owner of this Solo has done the Factory Reset but not the Pairing. My concern was that, unaware of what he'd done, I'd tried entering and deleting passwords he suggested etc. Once he informed me he hadn't done the Pairing I was not sure whether to simply do it at this point or perhaps I'd have to do the whole Factory Reset/Pairing process from the beginning. Consulting the manual, searching the forum and Googling I could not find an answer... so I posted here. Googling also brings up tons of people complaining about having problems with the process...hence I was hoping to get input prior to going any further in this "interrupted" Factory Reset/Pairing process.

Again... thanks to all for the input. I won't have a chance to try the pairing or any additional trouble shooting for a few days. Fingers crossed :)
Wait there's no pissing match? Damnit.......... I just drank 3 liters of soda for nothing........

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela