Prop Guards?

Reaction score
Has anyone seen anything yet for the Solo. I am new to a quad of this price (used to flying the AR Drone) Just want to protect it.

Is there even a place to mount them like the P3?

Reactions: Saturn13
Yea this is a big thing with me especially when this is sold as a beginner machine and people will be doing bad things and flying in the wrong places (over peoples heads around people in crowds exc.) because that is how it is marketed. These are simple and cheep to produce and I think it was irresponsible of 3DR to not include them from the start. I will be working on some kind of guard and will post when I have something.

Reactions: prowler9
somebody should be able to make one that clamps around the arms.

I might try to do it.

Sounds good, love my polar pro filters, especially for the price. That said 50 for guards seems a bit steep unless your new and are burning though props fast. I've not broke any since release, but will eventually get guards when they get the sensors out to fly inside more safely. Guess for now it's the only option so it's at a bit of a premium, understandable.

Interested in what you come up with Tomek, I'm sure they'll be done well before the sensors for sale.

3DR Solo Prop Guards
Preorder Shipping November 17th

@Raybro Happy New Year -- hope you had a great holiday.

Question: Did you receive the PolarPro prop guards and what do you think about them? I've read of two other flyers in another thread (see below) that stated the PolarPro prop guards either rubbed against the props or at least had the potential to do so. Also, one review on amazon.com that claims the prop guards hit a prop in flight and brought his Solo down.

Prop Guards by Polar Pro | 3D Robotics Drone Forum

Thanks!

I go the prop guards for my solo, and they do rub up against the props. I started the drone and heard the props clicking the guards so i took them off as a precaution.

Reactions: sam

Question: Did you receive the PolarPro prop guards and what do you think about them? I've read of two other flyers in another thread (see below) that stated the PolarPro prop guards either rubbed against the props or at least had the potential to do so. Also, one review on amazon.com that claims the prop guards hit a prop in flight and brought his Solo down.

Thanks!
Never ordered them. I don't think they are needed. My Phantom could use them. It's not near as stable at landing as the Solo is. I have tipped my P2 a few times.

Thanks!
This is true. Happened to me. They are not super well fitting and are very close to the props. The first time using them we checked for interference and corrected them as needed. However shortly after takeoff two of the props hit the guards, shattered and the drone flew straight at me, full tilt as it only had two props. I had to grab it to stop it from hitting me or damaging anything else on the drone. Shredded two fingers in the process...I emailed Dan at PolarPro but have not heard a reply(only 20 minutes ago i sent it tho)......

Reactions: sam
This is true. Happened to me. They are not super well fitting and are very close to the props. The first time using them we checked for interference and corrected them as needed. However shortly after takeoff two of the props hit the guards, shattered and the drone flew straight at me, full tilt as it only had two props. I had to grab it to stop it from hitting me or damaging anything else on the drone. Shredded two fingers in the process...I emailed Dan at PolarPro but have not heard a reply(only 20 minutes ago i sent it tho)......

Curious; Mine didn't rub/contact, and even with the APC props, there is no contact. Sorry about the fingers; those slices hurt!

I just sold the guards (PolarPro) I used on my SOLO. Never had an issue w/the props hitting them. I have read a couple reviews where the props hit the PolarPro guards. One of the reviews the guy clearly stated he was flying "normally" @ 20 mph. I wouldn't recommend flying "normally" when used. Common sense usually has a good day. And the reason I sold the guards was because I rarely flew with them & used that $ for the PolarPro lights which I really like.

Last edited:
I just sold the guards (PolarPro) I used on my SOLO. Never had an issue w/the props hitting them. I have read a couple reviews where the props hit the PolarPro guards. One of the reviews the guy clearly stated he was flying "normally" @ 20 mph. I wouldn't recommend flying "normally" when used. Common sense usually has a good day. And the reason I sold the guards was because I rarely flew with them & used that $ for the PolarPro lights which I really like.

Been debating the lights myself, simply cause there aren't many other options yet.

Do they seem to have any noticeable effect on your battery life? Wouldn't think so since LEDs don't use much power, figured I'd ask first though.

Reactions: Solo Keith
Been debating the lights myself, simply cause there aren't many other options yet.

Do they seem to have any noticeable effect on your battery life? Wouldn't think so since LEDs don't use much power, figured I'd ask first though.
I'm running about the same flight times w/ the LED's. Maybe a minute less, but not really noticeable. I like the PolarPro LED's. They are very visible. Even on sunny days. I think it gives SOLO that extra badd ass look. Usually the LED's are part of the questions I get from bystanders. Actually yesterday while out flying @ the Savannah River here in Augusta GA, a white drone was out too. Needless to say SOLO got ALL the attention. It was a beautiful thing :)

Curious; Mine didn't rub/contact, and even with the APC props, there is no contact. Sorry about the fingers; those slices hurt!
I emailed Dan at PolarPro and a guy called Jeff Overall emailed back saying:

"
Hi Bryn,

If the Prop Guards are installed properly they should not move around without significant pressure.

The clips will only fit on in one direction. If they are engaged properly, they will fit very tight.

The Prop-Guards should not move in flight, if the Guards are installed properly, or a moderate strike occurs.

I will have to check and see if we have any extra Props lying around, but we can certainly send you replacement guards. What is the best address to send them to?

After you get these ones installed can you snap a picture and send it to me to verify the fit is correct,

Thanks,

Jeff"

Great people at PolarPro. I will update the forum once I get the new guards.

Reactions: sam and prowler9

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44