Problem calibrating compass (think I know why)

Reaction score
Hi,
Just received my second solo and went to an open field to calibrate the compass. I went through the rotating process and it said failed, try again. I tried it twice more, removing and reinstalling the batteries before the third attempt.

Now this may seem obvious to anyone reading this but not to me until after the third attempt. I was wearing my Apple Watch with a Milanese loop strap. And suddenly thought about the strong magnet in the strap.

Anyway, I took the watch off and tried calibrating again and it worked straight away. It may have been a coincidence but I thought I would post my experience here in case it helps anybody with a similar problem

Regards

Graham

Thanks for the feedback. It was lucky really, I was about to give in when it dawned on me that I had a strong magnet on my wrist.

Regards

Graham

I have had similar issues with calibrating just by having my cell phone or keys in my pockets. I now remove all metal, cell phone, etc from myself and place the controller and tablet far enough away for me to see it without it being right next to the drone. Some of mine seem more sensitive to this than others but it has become standard practice for me when doing calibrations now. The watch would have been a lot closer to the drone than a cell phone in the pocket. Congrats on figuring it out and hopefully, sharing your story helps others.

Reactions: gn1000
Now this may seem obvious to anyone reading this but not to me until after the third attempt. I was wearing my Apple Watch with a Milanese loop strap. And suddenly thought about the strong magnet in the strap.

LOL! I had the exact same problem a while back! Wearing an Apple Watch with Milanese band. Like you, I figured it out after a lot of head scratching. I also turn off Bluetooth on my phone when calibrating.

Glad it isn't just me. It seems obvious after you realise what the problem was but not at the time. Hopefully any other newbies might see this post. I know I have read through most of the forum lookin for tips and problems etc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44