Pro balancing

but that does not excuse the rude responses that some of you had
I don't think there were any rude responses here. Some might have been shorter than others, but all trying to respond and help. Hopefully you got what you needed to get started on prop balancing, it was a good question since the Solo video quality is very dependent on eliminating as many of the vibration sources as possible. There are other areas to check/eliminate or attenuate vibration, but the props are low-hanging fruit.

I'm gonna take my marbles and go home
MD nobody is cutting any slack these days... Hard to give good advice and be politically correct. I was on another post where the guy flew into the house and we both gave similar advice, but even though you formed your response as a question he was offended that he thought you said he lacked experience (or similar) and you had made assumptions (good ones at that) because he didn't give any specific information. I looked around at some other posts, he had already crashed once before, was on his second Solo and has only been flying since mid October. So he DIDNT have any stick time to speak of on SOLO specifically and admittedly said he panicked on both crashes/got disoriented. But he tried to come off as an "Expert" flyer. That speaks so much of someone who hasn't practiced manual flight, or has very little specific stick time on a SOLO, but he spent an awful lot of time trying to ream you in his response, even though you were dead nuts correct. We can try to help, I agree, but I'm with you sometimes there are a bunch of YouTube videos that answer a lot of these questions way better than it can be explained. Best we can do is point someone in the right direction.

It doesn't pay to be thin-skinned on any social media these days. Take everything with a grain of salt, ask the responder if that's what his intent was before reacting, being humble and asking more questions is a good thing. I like this forum because there is a lot of good information and experience amongst the population, just remember to put your filters on before you read it all. ;)

I made sure the balancer was level and that the metal wheels on top were moving freely ( I was debating myself if I should put a couple of drops of wb40 up top, but I didn't at the end) . The propellers I tested it with pretty much stayed in place both vertically and horizontally.. I pretty much assumed it was an assembly mistake on my new part so I took it apart and did it again, same result.
The dubro disc have pins it spins on and is designed to be used dry. Adding any lubricant is asking for crude to get on the pins. Even graphite could be an issue, as it will suck as much moisture out of the air and expand. Lessons from pinewood derbies....

Another quick way to confirm that the prop and rod are aligned properly is to check the tip of the blades are passing at the same point. I place a taped marker as a reference and rotate the prop on the balancer. Ideally the two tips should align at the same point, but having a 1/16" off is not bad either.

I do the same with mounted props. It just confirms everything is seated properly and that the motor hasn't sustained any damage somewhere along the road.

This is over the top stuff, but if your looking for super solid video, this is a portion of the effort needed regardless of the platform. Again I'm using APC props.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks