Preflight update solution

Reaction score
after having great difficulty getting past preflight update screen and performing factory reset this is procedure that got me in the air,

1- Power off the units and close the Solo app
2- Perform a factory reset to the Solo and controller, make sure the orange light underneath the Solo blinks faster during the reset process.
- Factory Reset | 3DR - Drone & UAV Technology
3- Once the units are reset connect to the Sololink but do not open the Solo app
4- Make sure the Orange light underneath the Solo is blinking slowly, if so, please perform the following:
- Please, press the pair button for 1 sec and look at the controller screen for the "detected new Solo" message
Once you see the message "detected new Solo perform the following: Press A, then B and hold both buttons down. Once the Controller vibrates, you can let go. Within 20 seconds, the Controller will show “Solo Paired."
5- Once the Solo and controller are paired, please, confirm the orange light underneath the Solo is solid now
6- Open the Solo app >> settings >> updates >> start the update
7 Once the update process finishes, please, restart the Solo app

following ALL these steps exactly worked for me, all good now.
hope this helps the next pilot with preflight update issues .
Cheers and thanks for the input!!

Was struggling for ages to pair a new solo, doing factory resets, controller resets etc, finally stumbled across this and it worked like a gem! Thanks so much!

Reactions: RDA
after having great difficulty getting past preflight update screen and performing factory reset this is procedure that got me in the air,

2- Perform a factory reset to the Solo and controller, make sure the orange light underneath the Solo blinks faster during the reset process.
3- Once the units are reset connect to the Sololink but do not open the Solo app
4- Make sure the Orange light underneath the Solo is blinking slowly, if so, please perform the following:
- Please, press the pair button for 1 sec and look at the controller screen for the "detected new Solo" message
Once you see the message "detected new Solo perform the following: Press A, then B and hold both buttons down. Once the Controller vibrates, you can let go. Within 20 seconds, the Controller will show “Solo Paired."
5- Once the Solo and controller are paired, please, confirm the orange light underneath the Solo is solid now

I wish this worked. I have literally tried everything :'(

It seems impossible but should work ...patient and carefully follow steps ...I tried seems like ten times till I finally MADE SURE to follow check recheck steps in this post

It worked for me before, HOWEVER... on subsequent tries it failed. I'm not sure if it due to the device I'm using (Samsung), but I found the following...

Did a reset on the controller by holding down the Pair and Fly button while powering on. I had to press the "pair" button on the solo for it to connect to the controller again. However at that point the solo would connect to the controller, the controller would connect to the Solo app (and solex) however the vehicle would not be detected and the controller would be stuck on the preflight update screen. I actually had to remove the software from my phone and reload it. Only then would it go and detect the solo.

It seems (after happening numerous times) when I removed the software from the phone and re-installed it, it then immediately updated to the newer version of the software. At that point the software connects to the controller to load up the preflight update. Then the software will connect to the solo (finally detects it) via the controller to ensure the solo is running the latest software package.

I'm not sure what causes this issue, but it happens when I do a factory reset of the drone or the controller.

Last edited:
I'm using a Note 4, I am having problems getting my phone once it reconnects to the Sololink(after the updates are downloaded) to begin the update, any ideas? I have also uninstalled the app multiple times and still nothing

It works now! Others as well as myself have tried it and it is good to go.

I'm using a Note 4, I am having problems getting my phone once it reconnects to the Sololink(after the updates are downloaded) to begin the update, any ideas? I have also uninstalled the app multiple times and still nothing

One thing I noticed on an iPhone is that it depends which route you take back to theSolo app when you are switching from the internet back to the app wifi. A small window pops up after the software downloads (which once downloaded is a quick step back to updating unless you have reinstalled the app) so rather than select the pop up window to return it seems to work better by using the phones app switcher pressing the home button twice I think )(hope this is helpful to someone

I tried the factory reset and now it has the orange light on. Control does not find Solo. What should I do? I'm running out of resources, and it looks like it does not want to perform factory reset anymore.

Is it a solid orange light that's not doing anything, or is it flashing slowly? Also, when you did the factory reset, how long did you wait before power cycling the solo? I find that when you do the factory reset, you need to leave the drone alone for about 8 minutes. That's how long it will take to install the update on the partition, reboot, install the golden image file, reboot and then power cycle again for the paramters update. Some video of what you're doing would be helpful too.

Is it a solid orange light that's not doing anything, or is it flashing slowly? Also, when you did the factory reset, how long did you wait before power cycling the solo? I find that when you do the factory reset, you need to leave the drone alone for about 8 minutes. That's how long it will take to install the update on the partition, reboot, install the golden image file, reboot and then power cycle again for the paramters update. Some video of what you're doing would be helpful too.
It is a solid orange light

When I press the "PAIR" and the orange light does not blink anymore, it stays solid all the time.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

OK, so I'm not seeing anything wrong with your controller. It's resetting and asking for the preflight update like it should. So leave the controller alone from this point in.

With your drone, You've held in the reset button for 18 seconds (don't think that will matter) and the drone should start the reset procedure. However since you ended the video after 59 seconds, I can't see what's actually happening with the drone. You'll need to record for at least 6 minutes after you reset so we can see what's happening (also hear any tones or see any LED changes from the drone).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc