Polar Pro solo prop guards?

I expect mine from PolarPro any day now...I'll write up a report once they arrive.
Their other products are very good, so high expectations for these.

I think they are overpriced for what they are. The added weight, however small, will reduce battery time.

Nice "training wheels" for rookies! LOL

Reactions: Del
They're also useful for allowing inexperienced operators to fly indoors during training sessions/ground schools.
They do serve a purpose, but are obviously not for everyone.

Inexperienced operators trying to fly indoors? Not a good combination IMHO. ;)

I also agree, a bit overpriced, unless they had a lifetime, no questions asked replacement if ever lost, damaged or broken.

Some of us live in climates where the outdoor temps are sub-zero for months at a time.
School gymnasiums and warehouses are terrific places to teach in the cold months.
...they're not for everyone, but for training indoors, I'd suggest they're essential. Even with a safety net (required by law here) props can break/shatter. Prop guards help mitigate that risk and cost.

I agree they can be helpful in many controlled situations, but just saying indoors brings up images of people trying to fly a Solo indoors at their home, or indoors at a local school gym that is full of spectators and sports teams, without safety nets.

Forgive me for not explaining in detail, the colour and size of my underwear and shoe sizes. I didn't expect assumptions would be made about my intelligence or lack thereof.
Calling them "training wheels, for rookies, and bad indoors" conjures images of condescension, derision, and assumptions of stupidity by someone with an overarching superiority complex.

However, I would never make those assumptions. ;)

Thanks for the input. I'll still post what I think of them when they come in (hopefully today).

Reactions: Maddog
So, they've arrived today, WX isn't any kind of flying weather and I cannot fly indoors here.

Initial thoughts on these is that like most PolarPro products, they're reasonably well-designed. I've gotten them to agree to me trying to break one, so I'll fly one into a wall and see what sort of bounce it provides, once I'm in a larger room or outdoors.
They're not as graceful as they appear in the photos, but they do appear to be quite strong while being lightweight.

So, they've arrived today, WX isn't any kind of flying weather and I cannot fly indoors here.

Initial thoughts on these is that like most PolarPro products, they're reasonably well-designed. I've gotten them to agree to me trying to break one, so I'll fly one into a wall and see what sort of bounce it provides, once I'm in a larger room or outdoors.
They're not as graceful as they appear in the photos, but they do appear to be quite strong while being lightweight.

Thanks for your review :) I just might purchase a set for my solo soon also

Sounds like the ABS brakes argument from fellow bikers..."I'm an experienced rider, I don't need ABS brakes" truth is it's the unexpected that gets us, so maybe having a set of prop guards will save us a new set of props or maybe someone's skin, who knows, but if they don't effect performance, why not, but there again I'm still a novice pilot so what do I know
!

Reactions: Maddog
Sounds like the ABS brakes argument from fellow bikers..."I'm an experienced rider, I don't need ABS brakes" truth is it's the unexpected that gets us, so maybe having a set of prop guards will save us a new set of props or maybe someone's skin, who knows, but if they don't effect performance, why not, but there again I'm still a novice pilot so what do I know
!
You make a good point- unexpected things can happened to the most experienced. (I wouldn't buy a car without seatbelts/ airbags)
My Syma X8C came with them and I added a good two minutes to the 8 minute flight time by removing them.

My Solo is barely getting 15 minutes to a battery. Usually it's more like 10-12 so I can't afford anything that would cut into flight time.
(I have complained to 3DR but was told we can only expect 15 minutes max with gimbal installed.:mad:)

No, I'm not complaining- I'm really pissed off! :mad::mad:

My Solo is barely getting 15 minutes to a battery. Usually it's more like 10-12 so I can't afford anything that would cut into flight time.
(I have complained to 3DR but was told we can only expect 15 minutes max with gimbal installed.:mad:)

No, I'm not complaining- I'm really pissed off! :mad::mad:

Sounds like responses the Wrights got from the Department of the Army/War in 1905... and 1906... and 1907...
After submitting specs, photos, and achieved flight times and capabilities - flight times of nearly three hours, distances traveled, etc. - almost the exact answer was received each time:
"We thank you for your submission. While we are searching for a flying machine that meets our criteria, we are not at this time financing research or unflown aircraft. Eligible aircraft must be capable of fully controlled, sustained flight before a submission can be consider.
Thank you for your interest and contributions in our effort to create a true man-made flying machine."
Ugh.

I'd just realized I've not updated my posting.
Here are images of the prop guards, and also the light bars available from Polar Pro. The lightbars are visible event at 1.2km.
The prop guards snap on/off, no screws necessary. They do affect the sound of the Solo, they may have an effect on the battery life/efficiency, but have not flown without the lights attached, and obviously, they have an impact on battery life.
The lights plug into the port on the bottom of the accessory bay (you'll find it beneath the rubber cover on the bay), and the lights simply snap onto the legs. The lights are something I'd recommend just about any one add. The prop guards, I'll recommend if you're flying indoors, flying around brushy/leafy areas and you have wind gusts, or if you're a brand-new operator. Otherwise...

View media item 169View media item 168

Attachments

• 20151116_165126.jpg
    20151116_165126.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 7
The LEDs are definitely cool. I don't see myself using prop guards, but it's definitely nice to know that someone has created some nice ones just in case.

I ordered the light bars, and according to Jeff at Polar Pro, they are very lightweight, and draw so little power, that flight time will only be shortened by seconds instead of minutes. I like the idea of better Solo orientation when out farther than my eyes can detect, as well as better night vision. Hopefully I will be getting them this week.

I'd just realized I've not updated my posting.
Here are images of the prop guards, and also the light bars available from Polar Pro. The lightbars are visible event at 1.2km.
The prop guards snap on/off, no screws necessary. They do affect the sound of the Solo, they may have an effect on the battery life/efficiency, but have not flown without the lights attached, and obviously, they have an impact on battery life.
The lights plug into the port on the bottom of the accessory bay (you'll find it beneath the rubber cover on the bay), and the lights simply snap onto the legs. The lights are something I'd recommend just about any one add. The prop guards, I'll recommend if you're flying indoors, flying around brushy/leafy areas and you have wind gusts, or if you're a brand-new operator. Otherwise...

View media item 169View media item 168

So its been about a month. What do you think so far?

I really like my light bars. They are harder to see at a distance on a bright day, but if I am out that far, I am out too far anyway. They are really cool at dusk and on cloudy days. Currently I am grounded by the weather. Can you believe it? Grounded by rain in Ca.......:rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44