Part 107, What are you reading?

Reaction score
Hi Folks
So the studying for my Part 107 has begun. My wife is a fully licensed private plane pilot so I'll be encouraging her to get her drone license. However when it comes to myself, trying to find a good text book or ebook for this. Have 1 text book that's more like a list of prep questions. Got a free ebook from the Kindle owners library, but was not impressed (I'm sure you could actually pass by reading it, but it's more like the cliff notes of what you need to get the right answers, not an actual in depth study to fly safely and legally). So are there any resources that you guys recommend? Aiming for responsible flying here, not just to pass the test as quickly as possible (yeah I know, what a terrible attitude to have.... hey, was that a flight pun?)

BTW: 10 days after ordering, my PH 2.1 is finally on it's way!

I'd read, in depth, everything that is at the bottom of this page. (It'll take days, but it should) :
Free Part 107 Test Study Guide For FAA Remote Pilot Airmen Certificate (Updated 2017) -
Knowing the exact wording of the relevant law helped me A LOT. You'll need to know aviation weather, and forecasts, and of course the text of 107 itself.

I'd study the AIM, which your wife probably has access to. Read upon aerodynamics and torque and understand how that little SOLO stays on the air and how it moves around.

And lenticular clouds man. Study lenticular clouds. :p

lenticular clouds LOL
after you finish reading download the 5 buck prepware practice test on your phone and do practice tests
I did that until I was scoring in the 90s on a regular basis
passed with a 93

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Thanks folks, really appreciate the tips and references. Yup, wife does have the Far/Aim so using sections of that for reference. I stumbled across a Honeywell PDF to understanding aviation weather reports that covers METARS, PIREPS etc. It really is a case of practice again and again. Really appreciating the tips and info on here too, so thanks again!

I passed my 107 test last Sep, so there was not as many resources available back then. I just used the FAA website for my study, but I do have a (not current) private pilots license and work in aviation. If this is all new to you you might need something more.

I passed my 107 test last Sep, so there was not as many resources available back then. I just used the FAA website for my study, but I do have a (not current) private pilots license and work in aviation. If this is all new to you you might need something more.
So, did you have to go somewhere and take the test in person?
If you hold a pilots certificate but are not current, you can go take a Biennial Flight Review and then take the online test.
The BFR is not "pass/fail", so even if you scare the crap out of the instructor in the air for an hour you are good to go. The cost of the BFR is of course a consideration.:eek:

So, did you have to go somewhere and take the test in person?
If you hold a pilots certificate but are not current, you can go take a Biennial Flight Review and then take the online test.
The BFR is not "pass/fail", so even if you scare the crap out of the instructor in the air for an hour you are good to go. The cost of the BFR is of course a consideration.:eek:

Yea, I had to drive about 60 miles to the closest FAA testing center to take the exam. Go figure, my local FBO has now re-opened and is offering a UAS pilot course of study and exam for a paltry sum of $1500.
You are correct, I could have done my BFR but really would not have been easier or cheaper than spending a few hours studying at home for the test.

Yea, I had to drive about 60 miles to the closest FAA testing center to take the exam. Go figure, my local FBO has now re-opened and is offering a UAS pilot course of study and exam for a paltry sum of $1500.
You are correct, I could have done my BFR but really would not have been easier or cheaper than spending a few hours studying at home for the test.
Good point- thanks for the info!

Don't forget special use airspace. And the different types of fog, air masses, fronts, thunderstorm stages, and cloud types. Runway numbering, reading a sectional, flight patterns.... kinda why I recommended Ruprecht Law's page. It lists pretty well all of this stuff, and what it doesn't cover, the AIM does.

Well said. Understanding the weather is essential in the flying world, but with drones if you can see it you can fly it. If the weather gets wild you won't see that drone for long. Ruprecht's Law and the AIM along with this site, of course, should be required by 107.

It you like video, check out

Remote Pilot 101 |

$149 for life. Updated regularly. You will have to retake the test every two years.

Steps you through with multiple videos on 13 general topics.

Worked for me, passed the first time.

Hi Folks
So the studying for my Part 107 has begun. My wife is a fully licensed private plane pilot so I'll be encouraging her to get her drone license. However when it comes to myself, trying to find a good text book or ebook for this. Have 1 text book that's more like a list of prep questions. Got a free ebook from the Kindle owners library, but was not impressed (I'm sure you could actually pass by reading it, but it's more like the cliff notes of what you need to get the right answers, not an actual in depth study to fly safely and legally). So are there any resources that you guys recommend? Aiming for responsible flying here, not just to pass the test as quickly as possible (yeah I know, what a terrible attitude to have.... hey, was that a flight pun?)

BTW: 10 days after ordering, my PH 2.1 is finally on it's way!

I've been listening to this guy for a week and I've been scoring 95% on mock tests..taking my proper test next week.
Free FAA Part 107 sUAS & Drone Certification Study Guide | Northrup.Photo

Also here is a link to many test questions.
https://3dr.com/faa/drone-practice-tests/

Judging by the questions on the test I'm convinced whoever wrote it never flew a drone.

Fog, cloud types, air masses- really?

We're not flying Predators.:confused:

I think you are being rather myopic here. All the aviation weather topics are focused on making sure a licensed remote pilot has the knowledge to decide on the safety of a flight. Also keep in mind that the Pt. 107 regs don't just apply to multi-rotor craft. They cover the whole gamut of unmanned vehicles, all of which a Pt. 107 pilot can operate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc