Orbit Videos (Post Yours)

D

DodgeP

Some of us are very interested in these orbit shots that don't seem to orbit but merely, setup Solo to run a lose circle. The interest here is to see and know what your Orbit center was as opposed to what Solo actually orbited around.

It has been my observation that at some point Solo loses it's center point and just completes a circle however loosely it is.

My contribution to this post is below. The cross was my supposed center point but as you can see, it's not centered for the entirety of the orbit, actually no one point of the video is ever centered for any significant amount of time.

When I set up this orbit I flew up to the top of the cross, pointed the camera down to make sure I was centered on it, backed off 65" initiated the orbit by Pressing A, and ran the orbit.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Some of us are very interested in these orbit shots that don't seem to orbit but merely, setup Solo to run a lose circle. The interest here is to see and know what your Orbit center was as opposed to what Solo actually orbited around.

It has been my observation that at some point Solo loses it's center point and just completes a circle however loosely it is.

My contribution to this post is below. The cross was my supposed center point but as you can see, it's not centered for the entirety of the orbit, actually no one point of the video is ever centered for any significant amount of time.

When I set up this orbit I flew up to the top of the cross, pointed the camera down to make sure I was centered on it, backed off 65" initiated the orbit by Pressing A, and ran the orbit.

Not sure it will ever be 'exact' except by accident. Reason being is orbit relies on GPS for each point of the circle. With civilian GPS that means a possible variance of 3-20'.

Dodge, can you do that same thing with the I1?

I got an email yesterday about Inspire SDK but not sure what it was about. Thought maybe they opened up some new stuff.

Dodge, can you do that same thing with the I1?

I got an email yesterday about Inspire SDK but not sure what it was about. Thought maybe they opened up some new stuff.

Crashed my Solo last night .. I knew it was gone too because it jerked left as if I rolled it hard, leveled out (all within about 2 seconds) but before I could hit my A button to fly manual it was gone.. Flew full throttle left (my right) for about 50 feet all while descending, into some small shrubbery, flipped over, broke all props, damaged the gimbal, etc.....

I just got finished all the updates on my I1 so I'll take it out this afternoon to the same place and run an orbit shot and see how it fairs.

Well sorry to hear about Solo. Seems like these take-offs I hear about are all similar. Like the Solo thinks hey I am supposed to be over there...

Be anxious to hear what 3DR says about the logs.

Reactions: DodgeP

Looks pretty good to me.

@rrmccabe

Inspire 1 POI Shot.. First attempt at the DJI POI/Orbit and it's super easier than 3DR. I had already set the POI before I hit record and as soon as the video starts my POI was set. Towards the end of the video I ended the POI as was flying manually.

DJI Setup 1) Fly directly over your POI and set it.
2) Move back to set your radius (the minimum radius is 5")
3) Set your circling speed
4) Hit Go!

3DR Solo Orbit with gimbal. AZ screen recorded video

@rrmccabe

Inspire 1 POI Shot.. First attempt at the DJI POI/Orbit and it's super easier than 3DR. I had already set the POI before I hit record and as soon as the video starts my POI was set. Towards the end of the video I ended the POI as was flying manually.

DJI Setup 1) Fly directly over your POI and set it.
2) Move back to set your radius (the minimum radius is 5")
3) Set your circling speed
4) Hit Go!

I like the way you set it, that would be a good way to do it on the Solo if they were to change it. But it still wasn't centered. When you set it it was centered, but as it went around the center moved far left and back again.

Reactions: SkyDoctor
That looked good, and appeared to stay well centered.

I was playing with the changing radius and altitude. Want to see how it auto aimed the shot.
I did notice that the gimbal pan to right when it enter the orbit and returne to center when it exit the orbit. Maybe its trying to get the leg out of the shot.
I had fun doing it.

Very well done. I like the way 3DR is doing it. All you do is find the structure on the map, move the poi circle in the middle of the structure, make a few small adjustments such as altitude and distance from poi and go. Excellent.

I like the way you set it, that would be a good way to do it on the Solo if they were to change it. But it still wasn't centered. When you set it it was centered, but as it went around the center moved far left and back again.

I agree ... and I'm not making any excuses ... but I'm not sure if I was fiddling with the sticks either ... I will have to give it another go with a wider radius and just set it up and let it do its thing.

To be absolutely honest, I did my first orbit today, I didn't think there was any use without a gimbal. In fact the whole time I've been flying without the gimbal I probably recorded 2 or 3 times.
But, I am impressed with Orbit. Just need to go somewhere I can get something worth filming!
Heading to beach in a week or so with Solo, P2 and metal detector.

Crashed my Solo last night .. I knew it was gone too because it jerked left as if I rolled it hard, leveled out (all within about 2 seconds) but before I could hit my A button to fly manual it was gone.. Flew full throttle left (my right) for about 50 feet all while descending, into some small shrubbery, flipped over, broke all props, damaged the gimbal, etc.....

I just got finished all the updates on my I1 so I'll take it out this afternoon to the same place and run an orbit shot and see how it fairs.
I wonder how many hours you had on it? I'm sure 3DR will get you up and going again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44