Open Solo

Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm back to the forum after a long hiatus of flying my Solo. Lol

Now I'm wondering if I've missed the Open Solo latest update. I might have forgotten a lot of stuff since. How do I check what version I have installed currently?

Where do I go to keep myself updated on current developments of Open Solo or other firmware, or hardware updates/new releases?

I'm so overwhelmed with so many new posts out here now. [emoji28]

Open Solo 3 is still the current. ArduCopter 3.7-dev can be installed once you have Open Solo. The solo beta test group on facebook is the best place.

Reactions: AlienPanda
There have been no reported flyaways issues reported with OS3 and later versions of ArduCopter correct?

I am still too [emoji215]to try it My old solo has been flying great with an old version of the original firmware. All I needed to do was update the GPS to the mRO replacement.

She's been flying well for three years!

I added an Autel Evo to my drone fleet.
Maiden flight will be tomorrow. Taking the Solo and all 4 batteries to the airfield too. Hopefully the Evo will fly as well as the Solo.

I fired up my Insignia tablet and purchased Solex. I hope the tablet is still up to snuff to run Solex. Couldn’t find any info on how to root the thing, I’d like for it to be as minimal as possible. No Android updates available for it. As soon as I check the mRo GPS, I’m going to give Open Solo and ArduCopter 3.7 a go.

Can I go directly from the Open Solo update to loading the ArduCopter 3.7 update without performing the level and compass calibrations?

I answered my own question last night. I was able to connect, check and reset my mRo GPS, it was ok though, just GPS and GLOSNASS we’re enabled. Downloaded and installed Open Solo followed by ArduCopter 3.7 without having to do the calibration between installs.

I am still too [emoji215]to try it My old solo has been flying great with an old version of the original firmware. All I needed to do was update the GPS to the mRO replacement.

She's been flying well for three years!

I added an Autel Evo to my drone fleet.
Maiden flight will be tomorrow. Taking the Solo and all 4 batteries to the airfield too. Hopefully the Evo will fly as well as the Solo.

How was the EVO? I'm thinking of adding one to the fleet. How's flight distance and time compared to the Solo? I'm pretty sure the software for mission planning isn't close to the Solo but that's ok with me. I want something smaller and portable to buzz around at far distances.

The EVO lives up to the radio range claims.
I have been 3 miles out, no problems. The 32 minute flight time listed is an exaggeration. Must be for no wind at all. I average 18 minute flights with 30% charge left after RTH. The 4k camera is awesome.
Obstacle avoidance is still a work in progress. If it's windy and you are flying over water.. even at 300ft EVO reduces speed.

So I disable it.

The EVO lives up to the radio range claims.
I have been 3 miles out, no problems. The 32 minute flight time listed is an exaggeration. Must be for no wind at all. I average 18 minute flights with 30% charge left after RTH. The 4k camera is awesome.
Obstacle avoidance is still a work in progress. If it's windy and you are flying over water.. even at 300ft EVO reduces speed.

So I disable it.

Great thanks. I'll pick one up from Best Buy while they have the deal running for the free soft case and batteries.

Great thanks. I'll pick one up from Best Buy while they have the deal running for the free soft case and batteries.

I recently picked one up as well. Luckily right before my Solo developed level calibration issues.

I have a Peaupro lensed Hero 4 Black, and I tried a quick comparison when I got the Evo. Just spur of the moment on auto settings. The Solo had a Polarpro polarizing ND on it, simply because I didn't want to rebalance the gimbal, no ND's on the Evo. The Evo pics were just a little better on average, but not by a big margin, and there was a pic or two where the Solo looked a little better. It was not a perfect comparison by any means, and I had trouble exactly reproducing the same shots between them, because I did it back to back so lighting wouldn't change.

The Evo definitely had an advantage in video though. Again, both auto, both at 2.7k 60, since the Gopro can't do 4k 60. The Evo video seemed sharper with better contrast and detail. But the biggest difference was the stability of the drone and gimbal. The Evo video looked like it came from a tripod in the sky, no bumps, no floating look, just rock steady. As a note, the Solo was still on the final version of stock firmware at the time.

I haven't really pushed the Evo range, but I'm testing the beta version of the Autel app, that has very limited mission planning, to shoot some maps, and I'm pretty sure it got out to ranges where the video feed on the Solo would have been cutting in and out.

The mission planning on the Evo is still extremely weak. It can not even come anywhere close to the type of routing and smart shots that the Solo does. The stock Solo app even is much more advanced. That stuff is still a work in progress on the Evo, though the company continues to update and tweak and add features. The Solo is also faster, although the Evo might climb a little quicker.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc