Open Solo Install Problem

jxo

Reaction score
Am stuck trying to update one of my Solos to Open Solo. The Solo has a stock controller, no green cube. Using an Asus Nexus 7 tablet (wifi only) running Solex (v1.9.1). I have an mRo GPS unit on the drone. “Follow the directions to a Tee”…. I get it, I did (numerous times) and I concede my ignorance.
Quote:

Download packages:
If you haven't recently downloaded the latest files, you will need to do this first.
[Steps:]

1. First connect your mobile device to the Solo's WiFi and open Solex. Allow Solex to connect to the Solo and download parameters. [done; 500+ parameters are read and downloaded fine]
2. Make sure you have Advanced Mode checked in the Solex application settings menu, or you will not see the firmware updates menu. [there are NO packages showing in my Firmware Updates menu page when connected to Solo Wifi; I leave this empty Firmware Update page open and showing on the Solex app when I switch to my home Wifi network]
3. Switch your mobile device WiFi over to your home WiFi as you will need high speed internet to download the packages
4. With your device connected to the internet, [I pray at this point for divine intervention to no avail] go into the Solex Firmware Updates menu. [I don’t go back into the Firmware Updates menu as it was left open in Solex when the Wifi switch was made; if I exit the Firmware Updates menu page before or while on the home Wifi and “go into” the menu again, I can’t see the F/W menu again when switching to home Wifi; at the bottom of the F/W updates menu page I leave open the internet message switches to show Internet Connection]
5. Press the clean up button, then the refresh button to make sure you're seeing the latest files. [I press Clean Up and am told 0 packages are cleaned up; now I wait expecting to see the Open Solo packages…. Several minutes… nothing…Firmware Updates still empty, no packages populate the menu and the refresh button continues to be greyed out]
6. Download the Open Solo 4-dev Clean Install packages (solo and controller) by tapping the packages. Available will change to downloaded once complete. The installation packages are ~75MB each, so it will take a little longer to download than you may be used to.

Steps 1-4, no problem. When I switch from the Solo’s Wifi to my home Wifi, I am failing. Unless the firmware update menu is open at the time I switch to the home wifi, I loose/can’t see the f/w update menu when connected on the home Wifi. If I open the f/w update menu when on the Solo Wifi I can access the firmware update menu but it shows no updates and continues to show no updates or packages at all after I switch to the home Wifi. So the cleanup button has nothing to clean up and the refresh button is greyed out. I am clearly missing a basic step to download and access the Open Solo packages.

Help and many thanks to Pedals2Paddles for all these amazing contributions.

Update: purchased Side Pilot-- which neatly shows the Open Solo options in its firmware updates options. Not so with my Solex app for some reason.

Last edited:
OpenSolo 4 isn't a public release yet, which may be why you are having problems. Try following the directions for OS3.

It's the same problem for OS 3 as for OS4.

The directions are identical up to the point where Solex is failing to show any firmware update options.

These are the directions for OS3:

Download packages: If you haven't recently downloaded the latest files, you will need to do this first.
  • First connect your mobile device to the Solo's WiFi and open Solex. Allow Solex to connect to the Solo and download parameters. It must make this connection first, or you will not see the firemware updates menu. This is how Solex determines it is connected to a Solo and no some other type of drone.
  • Make sure you have Advanced Mode checked in the Solex application settings menu, or you will not see the firmware updates menu.
  • Switch your mobile device WiFi over to your home WiFi as you will need high speed internet to download.
  • With your device connected to the internet, go into the Solex Firmware Updates menu.
  • Press the clean up button, then the refresh button to make sure you're seeing the latest files.
  • Download the Open Solo Clean Install packages (solo and controller) by tapping the packages. Available will change to downloaded once complete. The installation packages are ~80MB each, so it will take a little longer to download than you may be used to.
  • If you have the HERE GPS or retractable landing gear mods, also download those parameter packages.
  • You do not need the ArduCopter parameter package or the ArduCopter firmware package for this process.

This is basically your device being stupid. Exit the Solex app completely, like use the menu to quit. Reopen the app while connected to the home wifi and see if the packages show up.

I do not suggest using the 4-dev from my github until ArduCopter 3.7-dev issues are resolved. Use Open Solo 3.

Whew. It was the mobile device not me. I gave up as the Nexus remains stupid. Used Side Pilot and an iPad and the OS update was simple. Thanks much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc