Open solo 3.0.0

Should be a fairly easy fix if you are proficient with soldering, good luck..
I think so too. I'm not proficient in micro soldering, in fact I've never done it but like most everything you can learn on YouTube lol. I'm thinking I might just try to flow it back in with a heat gun first and see where that gets me. If not I have soldered tiny wires before. I'm pretty confident in my ability to bypass the connector all together if need be. Of course I would rather keep my connections as whole as possible just in case I need to change anything. Who knows what awesome future products they will come up with. This puts the solo right up my alley. Diy is the motto I live by. I mod most everything I own. From my phone and pc to my ouya yes I have one of those and love it.

Reactions: XevetS
Ok update on where I'm at now. I tried the reinstall with the gimble attached no avail still having the same problems. Opened the hood back up. Disassembled everything I taken apart cleaned and thoroughly checked all connections to my naked eye everything seems in order. Loosely put everything back (As apparent I'm not done getting inside this thing) I'm still glitchy green screen. I'm tempted to attach my hero3+ black just to see what happens. I'm not fond of this camera tho I've never gotten a live feed running the "latest" solo firmware with my 3+blk. And I assume I probably still wouldn't. But if it will help me figure out what's going on (beginning to fear the worst gimble failure). I also thought that maybe since I skipped o. Solo 1 &2 ! Going straight to the official 3.0 release could that have anything to do with it? I'm just fishing at this point for whatever I can come up with. I'm not blaming the update by any means the features it offers seems very nice and I would like to try them out. That being said EVERYTHING worked fine with the gimble before. I've got a fairly gentle hand with electronics so I don't think I brutalized my gimble taking it off. I regularly switch from my skeleton mount to my gimble depending on how I intend on flying that day so it's not like this was my first time taking it off. Or being inside the battery tray either. I'd never pulled my board before (resulting in my compass break I guess) but that was the only thing new I done... we've established that since the hard HDMI works I didn't break that... grr this is frustrating. Any chance the broken compass has anything to do with it (I highly doubt this but once again fishing) as I haven't yet fixed this either I was planning on waiting until my other issues we re resolved to put it back on so I don't risk breaking it again

I could go back to the official solo I guess to see if it goes back to normal. I would have thought of this already if I had saved those files. I can't believe I didn't do that in the first place. I'm very familiar with bricking electronics lol. I'd normally have team win or clockwork do this for me so I didn't think about backing up the original. I also extensively read up on opensolo before even considering installing it so I know it works... I assume I can probably find those files somewhere if need them.

It's not the OpenSolo firmware its most likely a Gimbal issue did you have an Issue before updating? If not something got buggered during the teardown..Both my Solo's one stock with an aftermarket Gimbal one greencube with a 3DR Gimbal work perfectly, I also run OpenSolo on my Solo-Rover-1 and it works flawlessly...

IMG_20171104_184108.jpg

It's not the OpenSolo firmware its most likely a Gimbal issue did you have an Issue before updating? If not something got buggered during the teardown..Both my Solo's one stock with an aftermarket Gimbal one greencube with a 3DR Gimbal work perfectly, I also run OpenSolo on my Solo-Rover-1 and it works flawlessly...

View attachment 8742
That is nice! I'm showing this off to a friend of mine who leans more towards wheels than props.

That right there sums up pretty much why I like open box electronics. And I need to have something like that. I assume you run that on mission planner with rover setup.

Duh I see the pic lol sry

Reactions: XevetS
Yup Open source is awesome stuff I bought that solo main-board when they were super cheap 35 bucks shipped pixhawk and all....
Alright so new theory condensation . It's really cold in my house. Like ice at night sometimes. So sequence of events. 6:30ish last night I fly over to my buddy's house he lives about 1700 thru the woods behind the neighborhood and is about the extent of my L.O.S and the range on my fpvlr thru the HEAVY Texas foliage I live in. Everything is working at this point. I fly a full battery and save my other two. One full to do the update, and one full for testing. Around 7 I gather all my files and begin attempting to update water I learn my version of solex (yes it's the hack apk version, my try it before you buy it version & yes I do plan on purchasing that. Before I step on someones toes in here) will not is not capable of installing anything. I move to the file transfer protocol install I'm not unfamiliar with this I do it between my pc/ouya/android/ everything else regularly although not usually with command line but I not unfamiliar with a terminal either. Accessing the root was no problem I encountered some difficulties getting to the golden sd file but I managed but could not copy the files for 2 hours I tried this before giving in the the tear your solo up method. Now this i knew I could do I boot android on my laptop using a quiet simular method using disk image on a flash drive. This I know I can break a compass doing. Now it's around 930 almost 10 or so when I finish this and reboot. I take it outside to try a compass calibration. Then I quit for the night. Around 6 this morning I take it outside from my cold house that regularly causes lens condensation for me into the dewy morning air. Gimble in hand install it outside try one again to compass calibration (I had not broken at least not fully yet the connector I'd taken it off before lifting the board to get clearance prob broke it then). I'm wondering if... no I'm almost sure this must be my problem. Dang it gimble are expensive.

I'm of the opinion the Gimbal is not something that was expected to be a put-n-take item. I think engineering expected it to be installed and left alone unless there was a problem. Just my opinion though.

But the HDMI connection is especially fragile.

I'm of the opinion the Gimbal is not something that was expected to be a put-n-take item. I think engineering expected it to be installed and left alone unless there was a problem. Just my opinion though.

But the HDMI connection is especially fragile.
You are probably right about that. I normally use it in most occasions unless I know I'll be flying around in sport mode or trying to get video that shows more of the drone movements, if I'm too near trees and don't want to take a chance on breaking it, or if I just want to slap on my huge 52mm cpl lens and take some great still shots.

You are probably right about that. I normally use it in most occasions unless I know I'll be flying around in sport mode or trying to get video that shows more of the drone movements, if I'm too near trees and don't want to take a chance on breaking it, or if I just want to slap on my huge 52mm cpl lens and take some great still shots.
Once again I use pretty gentle hands when taking apart ant of my electronics I don't usually break things I take apart including wiring harness/ connections. They made it really simple to change between the two mounts also. I really still think that I somehow got some condensation in it yesterday morning and I'm hoping the problem works itself out. If not I guess I'm use to that skeleton mount. It just doesn't shot as good of landscape scenes

Ok here's my latest update. Try as hard as I could but could not reattach the compass leg connector and I tried for hours before I gave up and decided that maybe connecting the individual wires to the corresponding pads on the imx6. Also a no go! Damn things are just too close together, by the time I could get one or two wires attached to the pads it would become indistinguishable from the rest of the pads so I assumed this would cause more harm than good. Finally I decided to just clear off all the pads and omit the compass altogether with mission planner. This of course worked however I am noticeably more "drifty" now (kinda defeating the purpose of the open solo update) but whatever I'm back in the air now. A note on the gimble issue. I think I have this figured out as well. I think my pixhawk(stock) isn't as compatible with opensolo as they say it is. I'm quiet sure I read another article somewhere they were having the same problem due to running pixhawk 2.0 and open solo. So I'm hoping that when I install the 2.1 this will correct. Ok now I have an actual question. I need someone who is familiar with the "HERE GNSS" to explain to me how it works. I noticed it has two plug and play hookups I assume one goes to the GPS connection. But where does the second plug go? My luck it plugs into my now permanently missing compass connection???. What I'm trying to get at here is that when I replace the pixhawk2.0 for the 2.1 version if I buy the package that has both pix2.1 and here gnss 1) will I be able to plug it in or not. & 2) will this fix my broken compass issue.

I think my pixhawk(stock) isn't as compatible with opensolo as they say it is. I'm quiet sure I read another article somewhere they were having the same problem due to running pixhawk 2.0 and open solo
Oh ohhhh, about to get your head ripped off by P2P in 3,2,1..... @Pedals2Paddles

lol just kidding of course but uuuhhm No its not OpenSolo and a stock Solo Pixhawk that is giving you issues....

It goes into the connector that is Broken so you need to have that repaired....
Yeah that's what I thought you were going to say. Dammit. I'm not sure there is any fixing that at this point. Like I said I cleaned up my mess before I put it back together but it's not gonna be an easy fix for anyone. I took the wires out of the connections for one. (Which the new compass would have a new connector) I also cleaned most of the solder off of the pads before I put it back. I'm not sure anyone could properly fill those again. I tried for a while to get the pads to come back and couldn't get shit to stick to them. It's not oxidized I don't think. I kept everything pretty clean with flux and alcohol while I was tinkering with it, it just won't fall in the holes when I try to refill them all my solder just wants to stick together.

Yeah that's what I thought you were going to say. Dammit. I'm not sure there is any fixing that at this point. Like I said I cleaned up my mess before I put it back together but it's not gonna be an easy fix for anyone. I took the wires out of the connections for one. (Which the new compass would have a new connector) I also cleaned most of the solder off of the pads before I put it back. I'm not sure anyone could properly fill those again. I tried for a while to get the pads to come back and couldn't get shit to stick to them. It's not oxidized I don't think. I kept everything pretty clean with flux and alcohol while I was tinkering with it, it just won't fall in the holes when I try to refill them all my solder just wants to stick together.
Just try to practice soldering on some broken electronics that don't work or you don't need till you can do it this should be pretty straight forward remember the solo uses lead free stuff, get yourself some good flux and a copper wick to clean pads and try it again do not get discouraged, from the Immortal words of Shiea Labuuufff,
"Just do it"!!!

Lol I'm not trying to step on p2ps toes I just want my solo to fly right again. I do notice that even with my broken compass and drifting issues now that the landing is in fact much smoother it's off 5-6 feet (not unusual) but I guess that has more to do with my compass than the software

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc