Offline Maps on Solo (with video)

Did anyone come to a conclusion on the iPad? I never get the circle-arrow to download maps on iPad.

Did anyone come to a conclusion on the iPad? I never get the circle-arrow to download maps on iPad.

Delete the app, reboot iPad and reinstall the app. Make sure you're connected to WiFi with internet or you won't have the option to download the map.

So just following up on iOS cached maps. The instructions that Dodgep mentions worked but, still don't have the circular button to press. Instead, just move around on the map while you have internet connectivity to the areas you'd like cached. As long as the satellite imagery is there, it'll be cached.

Thanks, you two. I'm doing everything right, but the arrow and dialog box won't display. Do I in some way have to tell it to use google maps rather than iPad maps?
Have you been able to download the maps? I am trying to do the same thing on an ipad mini 3 and am having the same results

Have you been able to download the maps? I am trying to do the same thing on an ipad mini 3 and am having the same results

I'm on Android but I routinely download maps to use offline when I'm in an area with no data signal on my phone. I've never gone the route described here to download offline maps from within the Solo app, but as I always am able to see satellite maps I'm wondering if somehow the Solo app uses the maps I've downloaded from my Google Maps app?

If that's the case, then perhaps with an IOS device the method described here would work?

This video can also be used to help explain the MAJOR difference between 4G/LTE devices and just WiFI devices in the field because; it seemed like not a lot of people understood the fact that before you cached a map you had to be connected to the internet (if you wanted street view).

I'm a correct in my statement or nah??

I use a bluetooth tether to connect my wifi only Tab S to my phone. (Tab S is WiFi FPV to the Solo, Cellphone bluetooth tether connects the Tab S to the internet and maps...and that last minute field update...not really needed using offline maps but...an option!)

Last edited:
I'm on Android but I routinely download maps to use offline when I'm in an area with no data signal on my phone. I've never gone the route described here to download offline maps from within the Solo app, but as I always am able to see satellite maps I'm wondering if somehow the Solo app uses the maps I've downloaded from my Google Maps app?

If that's the case, then perhaps with an IOS device the method described here would work?
Thank you, it appears that i have my maps. I will have to wait to try, but i believe you solved my issues.

For some reason this doesn't work for me on the beta version of the Solo app. I had to download it to fix an issue I was having with Solo disconnecting from the app a few days ago. If it isn't one thing its another :-(

We've been having the same type of frustrations when trying to download maps to our iPad (brand new Mini 4). We just had a major revelation (i.e. DOH!) that we think addressed the one thing we'd been missing, and we think we're now looking good.

Knowing that Apple Maps caches viewed maps automatically, and reading that all we had to do was view the area we'd be flying in ahead of time, while connected to the internet of course, that's exactly what we did.

The trick is that viewing the area in Apple Maps didn't work. We needed to view the area IN THE SOLO APP, NOT in Apple Maps. Again, DOH! Not sure if this has been made clear, but now that we seem to have figured it out, this appears to be the simple misunderstanding that was keeping us pulling our hair out. Hope this provides more clarity for anyone else still fighting with this issue.

Here's the steps:
1) Before going out to fly, connect your iPad to the internet.
2) Launch the Solo app.
3) Click fly.
4) Swipe in from the right to pull in the satellite map.
5) Touch the map to bring it full screen.
6) Move the map to the area you plan to fly.
7) Pinch, zoom and scroll to view the entire area you plan fly in.
8) Go fly with your cached maps.
9) Let us know if this doesn't work!

Reactions: Acroduster
Actually you can now pre load maps while connected to Wi-Fi by hitting the down arrow on the right hand side of the screen to cache that area explicitly.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

Actually you can now pre load maps while connected to Wi-Fi by hitting the down arrow on the right hand side of the screen to cache that area explicitly.

I'm pretty sure that's for Android only, as Apple doesn't have that arrow, instead caching any viewed maps automatically.

Yea thats correct. Android only.

Thank you so much!! I was trying to figure this out while waiting for my plane and didn't have much success with Mapbox and Tower. I'm in a remote area right now without cell service but can hop on a wifi network from a satellite internet service before going out. I've been flying 2 days without a map and it makes orientation a little more difficult when trying to plan a flight on a blank screen from the ground. Of course this did make me think more about what I'm doing instead of relying on automated functions. Solo is definitely spoiling me.
Now if I can just figure out how to keep it on street map instead of satellite since many areas do not have the high res imagery.

I use Open source maps on my phone "Pocket Earth", lets me save the whole of British Columbia off line on my phone.

Anyone found a way to get android or ios on iPad to use open source maps instead of google or apple maps offline?

I live off grid from Cell networks an really need this feature.

Matt

3DR Solo, GoPro 4 black, Gimbal, iPad mini 3.

How did you do for satellite view with mapbox? i can't but with google map solo app displays satellite view. i also use filter but it doesn't work.

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc