Offline Maps on Solo (with video)

Reaction score
I have been fighting offline maps since I got the Solo. Can't say I am overly impressed with 3DRs implementation of this. We should have the option to switch between map and satellite. I also get an older satellite on certain zooms and the furthest in zoom takes you to map view only.

I put a support request in to 3DR a few days ago and have got no response. In the mean time I figured it out. Either I missed this in the documentation or there is none.

Hope this helps

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This video can also be used to help explain the MAJOR difference between 4G/LTE devices and just WiFI devices in the field because; it seemed like not a lot of people understood the fact that before you cached a map you had to be connected to the internet (if you wanted street view).

I'm a correct in my statement or nah??

This video can also be used to help explain the MAJOR difference between 4G/LTE devices and just WiFI devices in the field because; it seemed like not a lot of people understood the fact that before you cached a map you had to be connected to the internet (if you wanted street view).

I'm a correct in my statement or nah??
Yep.

To elaborate on my "yep" and what Dodge was talking about.

If you want maps while you are flying you need:
  1. A tablet with a cellular connection or use your phone
  2. Save (also know as cache) your map data.
This video shows how to do option #2 using 3DRs method. This MUST be done while you have an internet connect BEFORE you connect your WiFi to the Solo as it needs to pull this data from the internet and save it.

Sorry for short previous reply. Was mowing and surfing the site. Had to keep it short as I did not want to swerve and mess up the stripe pattern in my yard. LOL.

This video shows how to do option #2 using 3DRs method. This MUST be done while you have an internet connect BEFORE you connect your WiFi to the Solo as it needs to pull this data from the internet and save it.

Sorry for short previous reply. Was mowing and surfing the site. Had to keep it short as I did not want to swerve and mess up the stripe pattern in my yard. LOL.

Distracted mowing!? Tsk Tsk Tsk

LOL,

I need to change the phone mount on my mowing rig to a tablet mount :D

Yep.....good info.
A few weeks ago I was on another thread with dodge helping him with maps. Didn't make a video though. My problem was the info bar at the bottom covered up another message stating how to download the maps. They work pretty well.
Ray

Yea that bit me too. When I was testing I was inside with no GPS. The waiting for GPS covers it up.

Yea that bit me too. When I was testing I was inside with no GPS. The waiting for GPS covers it up.
It would be nice if they could incorporate Tower into the Solo app with the slide out map and all the waypoints.

Hey Rich,

I'm trying to cache maps, but when connected to home wifi, and with the app open, there's no arrow on the right side of the screen, and no message at the bottom. What am I doing wrong?

Pleeeeeeeaaaaaaase?

Hey Sarah, make the map full screen then close the box on the bottom that says disconnected from solo. Then there should be a white circle with a down arrow. Tap that and a box will come up along the bottom of the screen and let you know if the map is too large or not. One the little icon on the bottom left is green, you can tap the box to DL.

Reactions: Sarah B
Thanks, you two. I'm doing everything right, but the arrow and dialog box won't display. Do I in some way have to tell it to use google maps rather than iPad maps?

Hmmm iPad. Need to get someone with iPad to chime in as you are talking a different language to me.

The dialog wont come up until you hit the right arrow. At least on Android.

Ok who else is running iPad?

I bet it's an Apple thing, because they have their own, proprietary, map system.
Sorry Sarah, I saw you were following Rich's instructions and thought you had an Android. Wish I could help, but don't have any Apple products to try.

That video was EXTREMELY helpful and motivated me to join this community. Thank you so much! I'll be posting my content on all my social media (@AnestiVega) of my new Solo! Thanks again!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo