Odd behavior today

Reaction score
Didn't get to fly much at all this weekend between rain and being busy went out today and solo acted really strange. It was drifting a lot up, down and all over then it actually started moving a good distance forward on its own, I finally got it into manual came down and calibrated both level and compass. Sent it back up and still was acting very odd, do I brought it down and am hoping the update helps tomorrow. I did have a hell of a time updating my s6 yesterday but that's the only difference to my normal routine here flying at home.

Anybody else notice any of this today seemed very out of the ordinary and kinda nerve racking? I haven't seen this behavior since June and it wasn't just my imagination others noticed it too.

Just thought I'd ask in case other had anything similar, I reset my s6 so havent reinstalled and checked Sam for solar activity yet, but will soon cause the other time I saw this it said high solar activity and storms or flares.

Reactions: Projeffrey11
Didn't get to fly much at all this weekend between rain and being busy went out today and solo acted really strange. It was drifting a lot up, down and all over then it actually started moving a good distance forward on its own, I finally got it into manual came down and calibrated both level and compass. Sent it back up and still was acting very odd, do I brought it down and am hoping the update helps tomorrow. I did have a hell of a time updating my s6 yesterday but that's the only difference to my normal routine here flying at home.

Anybody else notice any of this today seemed very out of the ordinary and kinda nerve racking? I haven't seen this behavior since June and it wasn't just my imagination others noticed it too.

Just thought I'd ask in case other had anything similar, I reset my s6 so havent reinstalled and checked Sam for solar activity yet, but will soon cause the other time I saw this it said high solar activity and storms or flares.
Sound like a day I had once...solo all disoriented ...and I even tried to land the solo like that and it did a guost flip on me..! No damage ...shut everything down..went to a another area across the city ..then powered up again and took off!! And it was still doing the same thing...all disoriented again! so this time I didint want to land it like that...I flew the solo low enough to grab one of its legs and shut the motors off that way!!
Then went home... Did a level and compass calibration ...went out next day and it was fine!!

I had some strange behaviour today too... It was drifting and while I flying straight out it darted up then down and stopped. Then continued properly... I got nervous and brought er back in...

Sound like a day I had once...solo all disoriented ...and I even tried to land the solo like that and it did a guost flip on me..! No damage ...shut everything down..went to a another area across the city ..then powered up again and took off!! And it was still doing the same thing...all disoriented again! so this time I didint want to land it like that...I flew the solo low enough to grab one of its legs and shut the motors off that way!!
Then went home... Did a level and compass calibration ...went out next day and it was fine!!

Yea I had one other day in June and mine tipped on two legs after landing then shut down. Seemed off after calibrating still but I'm hoping after doing it again tonight and hopefully updating tomorrow I'll be good again. Wel see, I really don't want to be another I have issues story if I can help it, but I have to wonder if it's the one motor I've been concerned about lately.

Thanks for the relply

I had some strange behaviour today too... It was drifting and while I flying straight out it darted up then down and stopped. Then continued properly... I got nervous and brought er back in...

Yup same basic ordeal, hope tomorrow turns out to be better for both of us. Thanks

What part of the world you in anywhere near me?

How is the weather when you were flying, cloudy, gloomy etc? This seems like extremely odd behavior also what was you're GPS lock if you recall?

I think we can all agree that the 3DR Solo is a awesome bird but, completely randomly unreliable at times and just flat out scary others to the point that it can't be trusted in certain environments like, populated areas, neighborhoods, near trees, near structures etc.

What disappoints me is that cable cam isn't very accurate is usually drift off course sometimes by a couple of feet.

Yea I had one other day in June and mine tipped on two legs after landing then shut down. Seemed off after calibrating still but I'm hoping after doing it again tonight and hopefully updating tomorrow I'll be good again. Wel see, I really don't want to be another I have issues story if I can help it, but I have to wonder if it's the one motor I've been concerned about lately.

Thanks for the relply
It is very possible that it could be caused by your failing motor pot, in all honesty tomorrow's update is only addressing the gimbal so I highly doubt that's going to fix the problems your experiences during flight.

I was in San Fran (treasure Island) on 10/1 and Mine was acting up the gimbal was also acting strange brought it down recalibrated removed battery and waited to reacquire GPS. One of the calibrations I did was a stick cal. I flew it while in LA and was fine and again today in Austin again no problems.

No Problems here. Even did the Tower mission test where I turned off the controller. Everything worked perfect! I wish some of the guys that have had problems with theirs ( @Rodney Johnson @rrmccabe ) could fly mine to see what is possible. A real joy to fly and very predictable.

I also had the unusual behavior, 3 or 4 times. On two of the occasions it crashed. Once, a very hard landing. Went back up for a test flight and it happened again. This time skidded sideways when trying to land, flipped, and ruined props. As a consequence, GOPRO (pre- leg extension) hit pavement resulting in a gimbal shaking that couldn't be resolved and was RMA'd. However, after sending ticket I did a Factory Reset. After that it flew perfectly. Support got back to me and said a detailed analysis showed a very intermittent and split second malfunction of Motor Pod #3 which they also RMA'd. I know what you are talking about. SOLO starts drifting, up, down, erratic behavior, can't seem to get control even when going to MANUAL. One of the occasions I was videoing a friends house in Tampa, lives on a saltwater canal. SOLO started descending after terminating a cable cam shot from about 40' down to about 5' before I was able to regain control. Left me shaking..lol. Try a Factory Reset. Do you have an RTF M8N by any chance? As many of you know, I flew for months (July 16) to early Sept. and was flawless. Something changed.

No Problems here. Even did the Tower mission test where I turned off the controller. Everything worked perfect! I wish some of the guys that have had problems with theirs ( @Rodney Johnson @rrmccabe ) could fly mine to see what is possible. A real joy to fly and very predictable.
You turned off your controller during a pre set flight with tower?, did you have to change a setting within the app or does it automatically finish its mission before RTH?

Jubalr
Until Solo is as reliable as my DIY equipment I just can't overlook the unpredictable nature that I have seen.

One of the guys in town just got his solo in the air and one day it was flying fine next day he had issues.
Unpredictable for some and solid for others.

I was out with one of my Hex's for the past few day testing a new radio install and telemetry equipment. 16 hours total flight time in two days Running MP with a pixhawk flying multiple waypoint missions, ROI and much more and without any issues. until Solo is that reliable I will have to wait and watch and read. It's just not up to my standards at this time.

Maybe you can send yours up to me and I could do some test flying and if it passes I will keep it and have a new one sent to you. :):)lol

Jubalr
Until Solo is as reliable as my DIY equipment I just can't overlook the unpredictable nature that I have seen.

One of the guys in town just got his solo in the air and one day it was flying fine next day he had issues.
Unpredictable for some and solid for others.

I was out with one of my Hex's for the past few day testing a new radio install and telemetry equipment. 16 hours total flight time in two days Running MP with a pixhawk flying multiple waypoint missions, ROI and much more and without any issues. until Solo is that reliable I will have to wait and watch and read. It's just not up to my standards at this time.

Maybe you can send yours up to me and I could do some test flying and if it passes I will keep it and have a new one sent to you. :):)lol
Understood..Let me think about that offer a bit..Nah..Like the one I got! I know what you mean though. The hex and Pixhawk I built was always great to fly and one of the reasons I went with the Solo. I was flying Tower this weekend as well with multiple WPs, Splines with ROI and even the Tx off test.
Take Care Buddy..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M