No video feed

Reaction score
I am not getting any video feed at all I am using GoPro Silver 3+ and I may get a 2 sec feed on IPad and using Gimbal and then blank black screen nothing is recording help frustrated

I am not getting any video feed at all I am using GoPro Silver 3+ and I may get a 2 sec feed on IPad and using Gimbal and then blank black screen nothing is recording help frustrated
Hello Cynthia, Often it is the GoPro not seating firmly to the connection on the back or HDMI cable in the side. Here is additional help that has solved the issue for others..Might want to read through some of it..

no video feed | 3D Robotics Drone Forum

Reactions: RolandS888
I had this same problem today all day on my first flight. The only solution I was able to find was to power everything up without the gopro attached. Basically get everything in ready to fly. Then power up the gopro and attach it to the gimbal. Then everything works fine. Might not work for you but that's the ONLY way I was able to get a feed AND gopro control through SOLO app.

First thing is to make sure your GoPro firmware is totally up to date to the latest version. Update your GoPro using the GoPro app on your iPhone or android. You can also update the GoPro from a computer using GoPro studio.

Second, try this order for start up :

1. With GoPro OFF, put it in the gimbal, making sure it is firmly seated into the back connector.

2. Turn GoPro on.

3. Turn on Solo

4. Turn on controller

5. Connect to Sololink wifi on tablet/phone

6. Launch the Solo app

Whenever I have GoPro issues, which do occur occasionally, I shut everything down and follow this order. The key is to NOT power the GoPro on until you've installed it in the gimbal.

(Post back here if you get it working)

Hello Everyone,

I would like to share my experience about video feed issue:

My total flight hours with solo is 3 hours, and about 40% of these time the video tethering to my ipad is just like shit. The screen may starting roller up and down, and all in sudden turn into black screen or the last still image it has after taking off within 30 sec to 3 mins. I have to enforce it RTH, and reboot the solo and reconnect it again to get the video feed. I had a flight yesterday, and my solo just did it again.... I am so frustrating, because I had switched to FVPLR antenna, so I don't think its an wifi signal issue, so I started to look up some thoughts here.

I appreciate all experience shared, and I guess the main problem of my solo is because of cable connection or maybe start-up sequence. The first time I found my solo had this issue was in a windy day, it flew wiggle and wobble like a drunk man, and I thought the hdmi cable was not connected well to the GoPro 4 which causing no video feed at the time. And, on the other hand, my start-up sequence was: Controller->Ipad ->Wifi linked->Solo->Wifi and GPS OK->Take off. After reading all the others experience, I thought the connections from the gimbal to Gopro is causing the video feed issue.

This morning, I checked two connectors are seating tight; and Gopro is in video mode, and its OSD(on-screen-dispaly) is off; and then I tried the start up order: Solo->Controller (Linked and GPS OK) - > Ipad -> Enable Solo_Link WIFI -> Lanuch 3dr Solo App. Turns out the video feed is perfect. The other thing I would start to consider and try is to apply an HDMI adapter between gimbal and gopro, and start to use a micro-SD to SD card adapter to download video clips instead of removing gopro from the gimbal. I would rather the gopro stay in its place.

Thanks,
-Max

I purchased the Solo because 3DR advertised that it was designed to work with Hero 3+ Silver and up. I own 2. Both Heros behave exactly the same. All software is up to date. 3DR is well aware of this issue and has chosen not to address it. They would prefer to ignore the issue until we all buy 4 or better Gopros. Their advertising was clearly false. They know we are spread around the world and are unlikely to unite on a legal challenge. A 2 second video feed is not what I paid for. Do the right thing 3DR and put some effort in this or send me a Gopro 4.

I purchased the Solo because 3DR advertised that it was designed to work with Hero 3+ Silver and up. I own 2. Both Heros behave exactly the same. All software is up to date. 3DR is well aware of this issue and has chosen not to address it. They would prefer to ignore the issue until we all buy 4 or better Gopros. Their advertising was clearly false. They know we are spread around the world and are unlikely to unite on a legal challenge. A 2 second video feed is not what I paid for. Do the right thing 3DR and put some effort in this or send me a Gopro 4.
My understanding is it was GoPro that originally agreed to update the cameras for that ability, but did not. Instead they focused on the 4 and only updated the FW on those models. They have been working on the 5 for some time now and probably decided not to put any more resources in updating the FW on older models. The original posts on this issue are on here somewhere around last fall. If GP won't update the FW then 3DR is left with what will work and has since changed the ads to:
OPTIMIZED FOR GOPRO®
The camera you know and love — and use. We worked directly with GoPro to make Solo the first and only drone to deliver crisp HD from your GoPro straight to your mobile device, along with in-flight control of your HERO4® camera.

My understanding is it was GoPro that originally agreed to update the cameras for that ability, but did not. Instead they focused on the 4 and only updated the FW on those models. They have been working on the 5 for some time now and probably decided not to put any more resources in updating the FW on older models. The original posts on this issue are on here somewhere around last fall. If GP won't update the FW then 3DR is left with what will work and has since changed the ads to:
OPTIMIZED FOR GOPRO®
The camera you know and love — and use. We worked directly with GoPro to make Solo the first and only drone to deliver crisp HD from your GoPro straight to your mobile device, along with in-flight control of your HERO4® camera.

you are quoting the revised promo from 3DR where specific reference to the 3+ has been removed. that is disingenuous! Regardless of who failed to comply with their agreement, 3DR advertised compatibility. This falls in the realm of vapourwear. If you wish to state you are working on a feature, do so. Don't advertise something you don't have. That is fraudulent advertising. IF 3DR "mans up" and states the obvious and offers some olive branch remedy, they can restore my faith. Otherwise, they are just one of the many - no better than DJI and that should be recognized as an insult.

you are quoting the revised promo from 3DR where specific reference to the 3+ has been removed. that is disingenuous! Regardless of who failed to comply with their agreement, 3DR advertised compatibility. This falls in the realm of vapourwear. If you wish to state you are working on a feature, do so. Don't advertise something you don't have. That is fraudulent advertising. IF 3DR "mans up" and states the obvious and offers some olive branch remedy, they can restore my faith. Otherwise, they are just one of the many - no better than DJI and that should be recognized as an insult.
Yeah, you're right. Fraud all the way. Oops, except that for fraud, there has to be intent. Meaning they knew all along that GP was not going to fulfill their obligations and chose to advertise it anyway with the intent of never delivering on that promise (made by GP) even if it worked. And of course they are going to remove the reference in marketing when it was sure that GP had no intention of delivering on the FW. And I would think that leaving the other cameras on their marketing would be 'disingenuous', not removing them.

You could of course remain bitter, and pursue the 'Fraud' case with the AG of your state, or hire an attorney for civil action. Or you could sell your 2 GP silvers and get a 4 black and pocket the difference. Then you would be a satisfied user of the Solo and enjoying the frequent updates of new features like many here. Just depends on your state of mind and what you see as the best remedy for your situation.

Just my opinion. YMMV...

Yeah, you're right. Fraud all the way. Oops, except that for fraud, there has to be intent. Meaning they knew all along that GP was not going to fulfill their obligations and chose to advertise it anyway with the intent of never delivering on that promise (made by GP) even if it worked. And of course they are going to remove the reference in marketing when it was sure that GP had no intention of delivering on the FW. And I would think that leaving the other cameras on their marketing would be 'disingenuous', not removing them.

You could of course remain bitter, and pursue the 'Fraud' case with the AG of your state, or hire an attorney for civil action. Or you could sell your 2 GP silvers and get a 4 black and pocket the difference. Then you would be a satisfied user of the Solo and enjoying the frequent updates of new features like many here. Just depends on your state of mind and what you see as the best remedy for your situation.

Just my opinion. YMMV...

When you advertise that you have a feature that you do not have in order to sell a product, that is fraudulent advertising. I have no complaints with the rest of the solo but, as it stands, I can't use it! To sell 2 3+ to buy a 4 will give me another sh** kicking that I do not need. I accept that GP did not deliver but it was not GP that told me my 3+ would work with my Solo. It was 3DR. I can, however, see that you are a fan-boy so there is little agreement we are likely to reach.

When you advertise that you have a feature that you do not have in order to sell a product, that is fraudulent advertising. I have no complaints with the rest of the solo but, as it stands, I can't use it! To sell 2 3+ to buy a 4 will give me another sh** kicking that I do not need. I accept that GP did not deliver but it was not GP that told me my 3+ would work with my Solo. It was 3DR. I can, however, see that you are a fan-boy so there is little agreement we are likely to reach.
I have been building and flying MRs for years. Not so much a 'fan-boy' but more someone who is a bit more pragmatic to problem solving. I pre-ordered Solo AND Gimbal 6 weeks before the Solo shipped and then had to wait on the numerous delays of the gimbal. Never was bitter though. Life's a bitch and full of disappointments. I prefer to pick my battles when it matters, for life is too short for such bitterness over petty details. And if selling 2 GP3s that aren't working for you to get one that is and pocket the difference is "another sh** kicking that I do not need", then you must have it pretty well. Congratulations. Obviously, keeping the Solo on a shelf (since you said you can't use it) and not using it is the best decision for you, and much less of "another sh** kicking".

Fly safe and Be Happy..

I have been building and flying MRs for years. Not so much a 'fan-boy' but more someone who is a bit more pragmatic to problem solving. I pre-ordered Solo AND Gimbal 6 weeks before the Solo shipped and then had to wait on the numerous delays of the gimbal. Never was bitter though. Life's a bitch and full of disappointments. I prefer to pick my battles when it matters, for life is too short for such bitterness over petty details. And if selling 2 GP3s that aren't working for you to get one that is and pocket the difference is "another sh** kicking that I do not need", then you must have it pretty well. Congratulations. Obviously, keeping the Solo on a shelf (since you said you can't use it) and not using it is the best decision for you, and much less of "another sh** kicking".

Fly safe and Be Happy..

save your insults. I will not bite. glad you feel so superior. over and out.

save your insults. I will not bite. glad you feel so superior. over and out.
No problem at all friend. You came in here complaining about a problem. I offered a reason for your situation and recommended an easy fix. You replied with the attitude. Then when I quoted you, you considered it an insult. Funny, but fair enough.

Like I said, Fly Safe and Be Happy...

First thing is to make sure your GoPro firmware is totally up to date to the latest version. Update your GoPro using the GoPro app on your iPhone or android. You can also update the GoPro from a computer using GoPro studio.

Second, try this order for start up :

1. With GoPro OFF, put it in the gimbal, making sure it is firmly seated into the back connector.

2. Turn GoPro on.

3. Turn on Solo

4. Turn on controller

5. Connect to Sololink wifi on tablet/phone

6. Launch the Solo app

Whenever I have GoPro issues, which do occur occasionally, I shut everything down and follow this order. The key is to NOT power the GoPro on until you've installed it in the gimbal.

(Post back here if you get it working)

If all else fails, its best to disconnect all cables and reconnect. If no feed, try connecting GoPro without Gimbal to islotate the issue. If the issue is within the Solo, use this video to reset HDMI cable.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

WARRANTY SHALL NOT BE VOID FOR OPENING.

OK guys I couldn't tell if the original question was ever answered about the Gopro 3 Silver not providing video.
I use a 3 white and I think it has to do with Solo being designed for the 4 and not the 3 series.
I have an external display connected to the HDMI out and an IOS phone and sometimes I do not get video out. Here is my solution turn off only the Gopro and turn it back on again. when I do that, video returns.
I find if I shut down the controller and Solo and try to connect it back to the phone, The phone can not connect to Solo. I have to power down the phone and once powered back up again I can connect back to the app and ready to fly.
My guess, Solo is looking for a Gopro 4 and above and the command signals are not compatible with the Gopro 3 series confusing the crap out of the Gopro.
And the issue with the phone is that the controller's wifi thinks its still connected to the phone so when the phone connects back to solo it is not allowed because its seen as an additional connection. that's why a reset works, besides it's faster doing a power rest on the phone then having to go through the whole process with drone and controller.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150