No video feed.....

I had the same problem this morning but I still flew two batteries. After I got home, here's what I did.

1) I turned everything off.
2) Turned on Solo.
3) Turned on the controller.
4) Turned on iPad and connected to Solo WiFi.
5) Opened the app (I have an iPad 2 mini - no cellular, just wifi) and left it at the screen that says "Fly" and "Flight School".
6) Plugged in the GoPro4.
7) Turned on the GoPro4 (make sure it's in Video Mode).
8) Hit Fly and the live feed was there.
9) Hit record on the GoPro if you want to record your flight.

P.S - Be sure that your Solo app setting is on "Save Videos to Camera Roll"

Hope this works for you.

---

Thank you, thank you, thank you...!

Works great now. You sir are a God send, saved me a trip back to BB. Now to go out and have some fun man!

Why that works, I have no idea... but I'm running with it. Maybe the makers of Solo can chime in on it? And to find more than one Solo flight battery and... the gimbal and I'll be a real happy camper.

I owe you a cold one!

Cheers,

Chip

---

My story:

Purchased a brand new Solo along with a GoPro Hero4 Silver at BB 2 days ago, it all worked at home prep at 3am, and during the first flight, after that - NO LIVE Video feed. Yes, software update was done on Controller and Solo at home prior to anything. Again, it worked... for a while.

Configuration: Solo, Solo Controller, L3 G3 on the Solo wifi. What is strange is what happens over the LG G3 phone every time when I connect to the Solo Wifi and start the Solo App is a 4G LTE download for: "Female for Spanish (Spain) <cr>, Voice data for Text to Speech" being 'stored' to my phone. Even loaded Solo App on my Nexus 10 tablet, same problem - no live feed video, so it can not be at the Android end. That download file thing though is strange.

Once I got it working somehow, temporarily however, by going to Fly on Solo App, hit check for software updates which was good and hit Fly from there, got video working... until I re-connected the GoPro, which was pulled from the mount however plugged in.

The video issue really bugs me, but I'll try some methods mentioned above.
Not to mention, having just the one flight battery is a pain, and you can't seem to get those or the gimbals!

Don't get me wrong I LOVE this thing, never owned a drone, nor GoPro before and having a blast!

Cheers

---

Batteries appear to be available via Shipping on BestBuy.com again. Ordered another for myself yesterday. I noticed getting the mini HDMI into the GoPro was a little difficult. That was he extent of my no video feed issue.

I often experience the Solo App saying "Disconnected" even though it sometimes shows live video feed. I fix this by closing the app and clearing the app cache on my tablet and then starting it again.

I have also noticed that if I set the GoPro to Time Lapse Photo mode, I don't get live video. I only get the photos sent to my tablet (at whatever interval I selected). So I've been limited to Video+Photo option when I want photos.

I've had the same issues and posted a thread on this a few days ago. Been driving me nuts. Have managed to get some video feed on occasions but do not know what is different about what I do when it works. Latest thing I tried which has seemed to fix things (not sure if permanent so will let you know) was to delete and reinstall the app. I am using gopro4 black and iPad mini.

---

Thank you, thank you, thank you...!

Works great now. You sir are a God send, saved me a trip back to BB. Now to go out and have some fun man!

Why that works, I have no idea... but I'm running with it. Maybe the makers of Solo can chime in on it? And to find more than one Solo flight battery and... the gimbal and I'll be a real happy camper.

I owe you a cold one!

Cheers,

Chip

---

OK, Solo summary for today:

After reading here, I came up with this and I follow it to the 'T', and I get live feed every time.

1) power up Solo, let it calibrate, gps, settle down and get the normal nav leds/ready mode
2) power up the controller, wait until it sees Solo, GPS calibration completed, etc. Wait till all is well and you see ready to 'fly'
3) enabled wifi on my LG G3 phone insuring first, NO 4G LTE data is enabled. 'something chirps'
4) plug in the GoPro (power off on GoPro)
5) turn on GoPro (verify its in video mode!)
6) wait for controller to tell me that Solo is again stabilized because I just picked it up to mess with the GoPro and connector. Let it clear all GPS lock, un-level warnings, etc.
7) tap on the Fly app on the LG G3 android phone to bring up Android app, just to the opening screen; Solo/controller will 'chirp' and whatever... count to 10...
9) hit the Fly button on the LG G3, you now have live video
10) go fly and have fun!

Again, as mentioned... make sure GoPro is in RECORD mode before you take off!

If you skip step #4 and just had happen to leave the GoPro connected via cable to Solo from a previous flight that HAD video, it does not matter. For some reason you have to PHYSICALLY make sure the cable is NOT connected. Just having the GoPro turned off at startup will NOT work. Man, I can see some connector wear here! 3DR, please FIX this, or chime in man!

Thank you Lord for a great day. Got 3 flights in. Still need extra flight batteries and a GIMBAL!

Peace,

Chip

---

I've had the same issues and posted a thread on this a few days ago. Been driving me nuts. Have managed to get some video feed on occasions but do not know what is different about what I do when it works. Latest thing I tried which has seemed to fix things (not sure if permanent so will let you know) was to delete and reinstall the app. I am using gopro4 black and iPad mini.

Try my method in this thread, thanks to another flyer, I just came up with my own methods.
Bottom line, cannot plug in the GoPro and power it up until the proper time... see post in thread.

Cheers,

Chip

---

Try my method in this thread, thanks to another flyer, I just came up with my own methods.
Bottom line, cannot plug in the GoPro and power it up until the proper time... see post in thread.

Cheers,

Chip

---
Would love for some kind of 3DR testing to see what the variable is on why certain sequences work for some but not others. For myself and others, sequence doesn't seem to matter and I have done a few, even if by accident if I forgot to turn something on while getting ready. Once everything is on, I get video regardless of sequence. But what is the variable? You would have to have at least 2 people get together with different sequences that work for them that could swap items until the variable was found. But it would be very informative.

Reactions: Chip Luck
Would love for some kind of 3DR testing to see what the variable is on why certain sequences work for some but not others. For myself and others, sequence doesn't seem to matter and I have done a few, even if by accident if I forgot to turn something on while getting ready. Once everything is on, I get video regardless of sequence. But what is the variable? You would have to have at least 2 people get together with different sequences that work for them that could swap items until the variable was found. But it would be very informative.

As mentioned, when I first set it up the first time out of the box (after software update), I paid no attention to power up sequence. I believe it was Controller, Solo, Phone/wifi, App; really paid no attention and got feed fine. After that, 1st real flight no problem, sequence un-known. Only when the video stopped working at all is when the above mentioned sequence appears to work. Being in engineering, test methods, troubleshooting, etc. for 20+ years, would be beneficial to do a side-by-side with other's equipment and do an analysis. Again, hopefully 3DR can shine a light on this.

Cheers,

Chip

---

This is one place of concern, I have frankly gone to using my iPhone GoPro app and flying by sight many times instead of getting the hdmi cable to correctly connect, which is a pain when showing the Solo off to friends. I have a feeling the issue is more on the Solo side

I had the same problem this morning but I still flew two batteries. After I got home, here's what I did.

2) Turned on Solo.
5) Opened the app (I have an iPad 2 mini - no cellular, just wifi) and left it at the screen that says "Fly" and "Flight School".

Hope this works for you.
I had same problem. I even sent mine back for new cable ... the above is the sequence I used except I turn my go pro on before I open the app. But I run a gopro 3 silver. Mine works great now.. I also did have issue with camera being seated correctly. ... good luck

This is one place of concern, I have frankly gone to using my iPhone GoPro app and flying by sight many times instead of getting the hdmi cable to correctly connect, which is a pain when showing the Solo off to friends. I have a feeling the issue is more on the Solo side

I agree, it probably is on the Solo side. I just hope it's not a USB cable problem. Funny how it wont work if USB cable is plugged into the GoPro with cam' power off. You have to power up Solo, Controller, App, let everything stabilized (GPS, sensors), connect GoPro to Solo, power up GoPro (HIT RECORD!), set Solo back down and let it require GPS. Hit 'Fly' on App and your ready to go.

Chip

---

Try swiping to the left on your phone, tablet. It will give you the satellite view with a pip box of the gopro view. Then just double click on the gopro view box. That made my camera view full screen again.

Try swiping to the left on your phone, tablet. It will give you the satellite view with a pip box of the gopro view. Then just double click on the gopro view box. That made my camera view full screen again.

Even though I think I've tried that, I'll give it another try. If I don't get video on default view, then I cant see it on any other.

Cheers,

Chip
---

Hello to all Solo Pilots here. Joined the forums today and a proud but slightly tired owner of a 3DR. It may be late to post but for all new owners like me if you are facing feed issues, here is how I resolved it.

Note that Firmware 4.0 on the GoPro does not allow the 3DR to turn it on therefore we would follow the sequence below:

Turn on GoPro
Turn on Solo
Turn on Controller, wait for Searcing GPS sign.
On your Phone/Tablet, connect to Solo's Wifi.
Once connected, Open the App and hit Fly.
Fly !!

Pointers:
If you are using the Gimbal and not getting feed, try testing your GoPro HDMI port elsewhere (TV, Computer, etc)
Make sure you are testing the HDMI and not the USB port (different ports and cables)
If your GoPro port works like a champ, try connecting without Gimbal to check if the feed works (this helps isolate the issue). If GoPro port works, you know where the issue is.
Before you throw it back at 3DR, try taking a closer look on the Gimbal to look for loose connections.
Disconnect and reconnect works sometimes.
Now if connecting directly does not work, you know the issue is on the inside. As per the Customer Care, here is a link which helps reset the HDMI cable (Warranty shall not be void for following this video)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Same issue but I was already on 1080, medium FOV and 60fps.
I'm in the UK so changing the Gopro from PAL to NTSC solved the problem for me!
I had the same problem with the video feed. I made sure the connections were tight and then hit the bottom of the 3DR with my fist. The video feed appeared, there must have been a loose connection.

what page in the manual did you find "hit SOLO with fist" as a resolution to an issue? lol

2) Turned on Solo.

Hope this works for you.

I did this same exact way and still now video feed with my hero 4 black, as soon as I unplug it from the gimbal and plug in my hero 3 black I get perfect video feed but no controls because it’s not the hero +, therefore I bought the hero 4 black thinking it will solve all my issues but nope, so frustrating dealing with this crap... so now I have good video with my hero 3 black but no controls and with my hero 4 black I have no video feed but all controls work. I have reinstalled the app twice and made sure everything is up to date, same setting 1080 60 M

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, for now I’ve decided to just use my hero 3 black with the 6 gram weights and use the hero 4 for ground footage, I have the sidepilot app already for going live on fb when I fly. Not sure how to download the old firmware though.

"... 3DR left off and went in to liquidation."

They actually just stopped manufacture of the Solo hardware. Initially they contined sales of the Sony equipped Sitescan version, but latterly just sold the software and now have made Sitescan available to DJI operators.

They honoured the warranties of retail purchasers through out.

I really hate to say this but the Solo as a product is dead to all but the die hard DIYers.
Particularly in Australia just try and get a replacement gimbal.
I still love the Solo, don't get me wrong, but as of writing this the near impossibility of obtaining replacement gimbals is making me come to the reality of a defunct product.
This had been a worry for some time, as I knew I could replace all the internals of the Solo with other parts, but it was the Gimbal that is not that serviceable and easily damaged.
And now I have reached that point, a damaged gimbal and no hope of replacement.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44