No picture from GoPro on Solo App

Reaction score
I can start and stop the recording on the Gopro Hero 4 Black with the app and control the tilt, but I have tried rebooting everything and still do not get the picture feed from the Hero. I am running Version 5.0 on the Hero 4. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Warren

a couple idea's
The hdmi cable could be unplugged internally. If you remove the battery tray, you will have access to where that end of the hdmi cable plugs into the main board.
Its possible that you have a bad HDMI output on your gopro. Also ensure that the hdmi plug at the gimbal is plugged in all the way into the GP. I noticed that when I thought I had it all the way in, it wasn't and sorta snaps into place.

Do you have another or access to a friend's GP for a quick test?

one last suggestion based on what I have experienced.

turn on the GP after the solo is connected to the controller and the tablet or phone is on the solo wifi network.

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestions. Would the fact that I can control recording from the app rule out it being a bad HDMI?

No because those controls are through the edge connector that your gp connects into when you install the gp in the gimbal.

i want to stress that you try turning on the gopro after everything else is online and initialized. I have had a black screen a couple times until I turn off the GP and back on when the solo is powered on and connected.

Also again, that HDMI cable that plugs into the side of the GP has a snap/click sort of feeling when its all the way in. Thats where you want it to be.

I find my HDMI connector on the can "look" like it is plugged into the side of the GoPro but really is not. An extra push (1mm or 2mm) is sometimes needed to get the connector to be fully seated. Also, in cases where the GoPro has refused to stream an image I have had to pull (cycle) the battery from the GP. This seems to reset the HDMI in a way just cycling power button does not...

Reactions: cryhavoc38
I find my HDMI connector on the can "look" like it is plugged into the side of the GoPro but really is not. An extra push (1mm or 2mm) is sometimes needed to get the connector to be fully seated. Also, in cases where the GoPro has refused to stream an image I have had to pull (cycle) the battery from the GP. This seems to reset the HDMI in a way just cycling power button does not...

Completely agree. It plugs in, then it needs to be pushed in til it sorta clicks.

I have been having this problem now for quite some time. I purchased a new Solo, had a few successful flights, but had the solo stop connecting to the controller. I was within my return period from the BB fire-sale, so i exchanged it. Upon installing the gimbal on the replacement, the app had no video feed. 3DR sent a replacement, also without the gimbal, and same issue. Now i am having a hard time getting 3DR to respond. any thoughts?

summary: 2 separate solos, 2 different gimbals, new GP h4s ...same video feed issue.

I too had the same problem, same camera. I tried everything, different versions ect. I went to a pawn shop and bought another GP4 black and it worked perfectly.
Turns out my HDMI on the camera is bad. Seems to be a known issue. I called GoPro and they said they would give me a 40% discount on the Hero 5 if I send them my broken camera. I told them it doesn't work with the Solo can I get a refurbished hero 4 and they said no way. They suck ass lately. I wish Kelly would mod an action camera, I'd jumped ship immediately. Not digging GoPro these days, I feel , ironically, they lost their vision of what the company stood for in the beginning. I'll only buy used GP from now on because I'm forced to with the Solo. I also bought the Solex app which is awesome as well as an Asus tablet to dedicate to the Solo and it works fantastic.

well, luckily my GP is under warranty... that doesn't fix the situation though :( i'll have to try that now. thanks for the feedback

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig