No holding solo for take off?

Reaction score
hey guys , I see a lot of people hold there phantom 3 in their heads to take off, I did it too with my 'QX3 , I guess we can't do this with the solo's because of the GPS LOCK,take a few min on level ground them if u move it 1 inch it needs gps lock again! Has anyone ever took off their solo while holding it?

You should be able to get GPS lock with it moving. I have taken off in manual mode several times waiting for GPS and just hit fly after I have satellites.

I don't like the landing gear for hand launch/catch.

Once I get GPS lock on the ground and I movd it or touch it to turn the go pro to record I loose GPS , I guess this is normal , so what I was saying is when u get lock then pick it up u will loose GPS again ..

I have hand launched and hand recovered solo multiple times to start practicing for boat ops. If you are going to do it one-person you need to be darn sure you have a good gps lock. Much safer to put it in manual and use two people.

Same thing for me, after a GPS lock, if I so much as lean over the Solo it seems to lose GPS lock!

If I pick it up, it also complains about not being level.

Luckily my boat is big enough to land on, but I'd still like a 'dynamic home' where the controller would update the home point every few seconds, sort of like sending the follow me data. Then if the Solo had to fly home, it would come to you, where ever you were, but instead of landing, it should hover 20 feet up and 20 feet away, waiting for you to manually land it.

I agree the legs on solo are not like the phantom to hold to take off and land anyway! But after having both solo blows the phantom 3 away. I think

[QUOTE="Marc Stone, post: 7671, member: 645" But after having both solo blows the phantom 3 away. I think[/QUOTE]

Well as long as it meets your needs then that would be true ;)

I agree the legs on solo are not like the phantom to hold to take off and land anyway! But after having both solo blows the phantom 3 away. I think
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF ITs OK TO REMOVE THE LEGS FOR PACKING. Can it damage the antenna wire?

You could take them off, if you are careful....but they aren't really made to take off and put on over and over. The Solo comes with the legs on, and with pretty good packing... Why wouldn't you use that? If you are thinking more long term, they also make various protective cases including a backpack, where you can keep the legs on.....

You could take them off, if you are careful....but they aren't really made to take off and put on over and over. The Solo comes with the legs on, and with pretty good packing... Why wouldn't you use that? If you are thinking more long term, they also make various protective cases including a backpack, where you can keep the legs on.....
Actually my goof it's not a height issue it's width-length issue after looking at the spec on the Backpack.

Length Width Height " Length Width Height mm
3DRSOLO DIMENSIONS 13.75 x 13.25 x 7.50 in 349.25 x 336.55 x 190.50 mm
3DR SOLO BACKPACK 15.75 x 15.75 x 8.50 in 400.00 x 400.00 x 215.00 mm
CARRY ON SPEC 22.00 x 14.00 x 9.00 in 558.00 x 355.00 x 229.00 mm

Last edited:
Backpack backpack thats like the gimbal I will never see it even though i ordered one.

Hand catch...not for me.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF ITs OK TO REMOVE THE LEGS FOR PACKING. Can it damage the antenna wire?
There is a video for removing the #1 and 2 legs. Also be aware that the #4 leg has the compass in it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc