No control or feed from GoPro

Reaction score
Hi all.

Just after a bit of urgent advice! I'd love to use it on a job tomorrow rather than leaving it home...again.
The latest gremlin to ground my matte black paperweight is the Solo seems to have lost all ability to control the GoPro (Hero 3+ Black).
It gives no access to settings, record is greyed out, and there's no video feed.
Everything is updated including GoPro.
Interestingly, if I turn the GoPro on before hooking it up to the gimbal, and then turn the Solo on I can get a video signal sent to my device via the Solo app, but still no control over camera.

I've tried the usuals. Force closing app, restarting everything, pulling GoPro battery, changing resolution and frame rates.

Pretty over this thing! Huge thanks in advance for any help or advice.
Cheers.
Cal

Have you tried removing the gimbal to check for loose connections? The HDMI is notorious for coming loose from the circuit board. Also, the small ribbon cable on the gimbal itself has been problematic but you can't fix that yourself.

I know you're in a hurry for info, but if this doesn't help you should contact 3DR support.

Happened with the first one I had it's probably a faulty hdmi cable I would also make sure the solo firmware not just the app is up to date 2.4.0 I believe is the latest one as of today

I've had to remove and check the plug a couple of times with the Solo. It can be frustrating, but unplug each connection, then plug it back in. Reboot in the order requested by 3DR, iPad, Controller and then the Solo. If the GoPro doesn't turn on, turn it on your self. If you have control over the Gimbal, manually press record. I've done that a couple of times when it was pissing me off in the field.

Hope this help

I'm having the same issue on a brand new unit. I installed a hero3+silver. No control at all. Even in the menu on the tablet there is no selection for a hero 3+ silver. I went with "other".
I'll dig into mine and check the cables.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone and apologies for the slow response from me.
I tried a bunch of things including uninstalling and reinstalling the gimbal and gave up as was heading away. Left the thing at home again.
Just come back to have another crack at it and started by manually checking the GoPro settings before plugging into gimbal. Set them to 1080, 25fps just like I'd done a few times before and bam, fired straight up with control. Great! So shut it down and restarted to check.
Now I have a different issue! But it's much better so I'm scared to complain...
I have control and a live feed. But the GoPro no longer automatically switches on with the Solo. I'm starting to doubt myself but I'm sure it used to? Can anyone confirm?

Thanks again.

@Shifter- a couple of updates ago, Solo got the ability to turn the GoPro on when it powered up. For some people, like me, the update didn't work. 3DR never could figure out why, so I still have to turn my GoPro on before I fire Solo up.

I ended up selling my 3+ silver and bought a pawn shop H4 black.

Much happier now.

Reactions: Maddog
Yeah I've been real happy with mine. I do get an occasional dump out of the app and an alert wanting me to submit the error. It starts right back up and works fine. It doesn't effect the flight.

Reactions: Lou Mannatti
Thanks Maddog. Add me to the exclusive GoPro doesn't turn on club then. Might need a more catchy name.
Been thinking of getting a 2nd hand 4 Black but was waiting to see what the 5 was.

Thanks Maddog. Add me to the exclusive GoPro doesn't turn on club then. Might need a more catchy name.
Been thinking of getting a 2nd hand 4 Black but was waiting to see what the 5 was.
I would be worried that the 5 will be just different enough that it won't work with Solo.o_O

Just a quick update. Got a Hero 4 Black and all is well, so the later startup issue was definitely a 3+black thing - for me anyway.

Hello to all Solo Pilots here. I just joined the forums and a proud but slightly tired owner of a 3DR. It may be late to post but for all new owners like me if you are facing feed issues, here is how I resolved it.

Note that Firmware 4.0 on the GoPro does not allow the 3DR to turn it on therefore we would follow the sequence below:
GoPro
Solo
Controller
App Wifi
Open App
Fly

If you are using the Gimbal and not getting feed, try testing your GoPro HDMI port elsewhere (TV, Computer, etc) Make sure you are testing the HDMI and not the USB port (different ports and cables)
If your GoPro port works like a champ, try connecting without Gimbal to check if the feed works (this helps isolate the issue. If it works, you know where the issue is. Before you throw it back at 3DR, try taking a closer look on the Gimbal to look for loose connections. Disconnect and reconnect works sometimes.

Now if connecting directly does not work, you know the issue is on the inside. As per the Customer Care, here is a link which helps reset the HDMI cable,
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

WARRANTY SHALL NOT BE VOID FOR OPENING.

Hi Nirvaan-welcome to the forum!

Never too late to post helpful information. I think you managed to combine several threads in one post!:)

Great video- haven't seen that one before.

Reactions: Nirvaan
Hi Nirvaan-welcome to the forum!

Never too late to post helpful information. I think you managed to combine several threads in one post!:)

Great video- haven't seen that one before.

Thanks Maddog. Yeah, I ve been lurking around the forums during the buy-exchange-buy-replace process looking for one resolution or the other. I guess frustration and desperation drives innovation of its own. I noticed a lot of fellow pilots facing the feed issue which and I thought it best to share what worked for me.

Just returned from my first Solo flight experience. Not sure if i am satisfied or just a novice. Need to get my shots right and get used to the remote. Burned through both batteries but I have a long ways to go.

Hope to interact with the veterans here in progressively.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado