NEW TRIPOD MOUNT FOR CONTROLLER

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was looking for a professional fix for setting down the Solo controller on a tripod in between flights, but with nothing available, I contacted a company I'd previously bought from that makes car mounts, and to cut a long story short, I sent them a controller to keep and they came up with the following kit, now available to all of us.

SlipGrip Tripod Converter Kit For 3DR Solo Drone Quadcopter Controller

I haven't yet received my sample to test and refine if needed, but its available now as is... it does work perfectly with the standard antennas, should work fine with the alfas and most panel antennas with decent clearance from the arms, but may obstruct panels that are really close to the controller.

[edit: I've since received my sample and it works perfectly for standard, Alfa and FVPLR antennas]

It will require some carving of the backpack foam if you want to leave it on, but will fit no worries once carved out.

I'll be using it to set down the Solo controller on a tripod in between flights, for mounting to my dashboard, and I even hope I can put this on a monopod with ball-head to take the weight of the controller when i'm babysitting Solo on auto mapping missions all day and i have to follow her in the sky to keep signal lock.

If anyone gets one before I receive mine and has any suggestions for improving the design, just get in contact with me as I'm already in touch with their product designer, and this can be modified over time as they are hand made (in the US).

Just to be clear, there's nothing in this for me, quite the contrary... I wanted one for paid work that looked more professional than my homemade workaround, so I paid to have a controller shipped to them from B&H, spent time detailing the design needs with them and in return I get the test sample.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Great idea- thanks for sharing! It's folks like you that keep Solo alive and well.:)

Probably goes without saying, but feel free to post this on faceballs for the masses there

I did not notice any controler antenna attached to the tripod. I queried the company to see if it fits.

As I mentioned, the stock controller antennas attach fine, alfas also should have plenty of clearance to screw on, just not sure about panel antennas, just depends how far out from the arm they sit.

Last edited:
I just wanted to report back that I received my initial sample and I can confirm that it works a treat! There's no issue whatsoever with the stock antennas obviously, and the Alfas still have room to be spun on and sit nicely in position. I bought a FPVLR antenna and will report back to see if it can be used in conjunction.

f3bfde5c258fe13becc614e9e0e2aa2d.jpg

7e691c69a17751a6cadb013c58f25bc8.jpg

Last edited:
I just wanted to report back that I received my initial sample and I can confirm that it works a treat! There's no issue whatsoever with the stock antennas obviously, and the Alfas still have room to be spun on and sit nicely in position. I bought a FPVLR antenna and will report back to see if it can be used in conjunction.
Friggin' boss. That may have to happen for our survey Solos as well.

Friggin' boss. That may have to happen for our survey Solos as well.
Yep, having it on a tripod within reach of your laptop makes my survey work flow very nice, but my home made fix was prone to the wind knocking over the controller... this thing is solid and much easier to pick up off the tripod.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
Damian,
Thanks for the heads up I just ordered mine. Have been really looking for something I can use in the field for all reasons mentioned already. Now if I could only find somebody to design and print out a hard mount for LUMIX DMC-ZS100 for my bird that would be awesome !!:) Folks like you are the exact reason I got my Solo's this last year!!

more good news... I received my FPVLR antenna today and it fits with the tripod mount on, and actually butts up against it nicely.

You can't attach the little mounting plate and velcro it comes with, and although i still have no experience using this antenna, from what I can see, I don't think you wouldn't need to, as the tripod mount makes firm contact with the antenna so it won't move around if hit, and by using a tripod mount in the first place, the need to hard mount the FPVLR to controller to make it less fragile for when setting down the controller is mostly negated I think. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saijin_Naib
High in the mountains... Tens of kms from the nearest person :p
no matter how remote i work, the client staff is always looking over my shoulder! the fact that 'there's a drone on-site' usually arouses the interest of every bored safety officer and supervisor, many have never seen a drone in action and often they'll come and watch for an hour or until they're called to do something :)

Reactions: brianuc4
I bought the moment I first saw your post. I have the FPVLR and it fits just fine. I have to attach the antenna after it's set up because it will not fit otherwise. The bracket pro dies

Reactions: Damien
Oops. Bracket has 4 different hole sizes for mounting one of which fit my trypod well. It really frees up your hands during set up, I almost looked like I knew what I was doing out there.

Oops. Bracket has 4 different hole sizes for mounting one of which fit my trypod well. It really frees up your hands during set up, I almost looked like I knew what I was doing out there.
I hadn't thought of that, but now that you mention it i can see how it would be a bit cumbersome to screw on both without the controller on a tripod

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo