New to Solo, maybe won't be able to fly them.

Reaction score
I have some experience flying DJI Phantoms as semi-pro. Over last 18 no this or so I collected to many different platforms, and, to many of each.

Still deciding which of them I will keep. Yuneec Q500(s), Solo, 2 of them. DJI F550 with crazy number of spares and very well equiped. BeBop 2 FPV (Selling). Oh, and pair of Yuneec Breezes for daughters.

I think I will keep the "Spare" Solo, for future experiments using some of the community developed tools. But probably sell of the main, immaculate Solo kit.

Home is Phoenix, Arizona, and a native, with extensive time in southern and Northern California.

Thanks for the great community!

Scott

I have two 3DR Solo's and I wouldn't part with either, I also have a Phantom 4 Advance that I bought last year and flew all last summer, I have been building two hexacopters in my spare time, which I've had very little of this year, so I bought a Yuneec typhoon H and got it today, plan maiden voyage with it tomorrow. Point being I found that the 3DR Solo's take more calibration and work to fly than DJI platforms, but I like them for that reason, you have to think more and know more about the drones system than with a phantom, and that why I build drones and that's why I bought the Typhoon, besides a hexacopter being a more stable platform. I would think long and hard before getting rid of one of your Solo's if nothing else, if you crash one, you'll have one to fly while repairing the other, or for parts. 3dr_solo_quadcopter.jpg

New to the drone world, couple buddies have them, I've admired from afar and after watching tons of YouTube and poking around the interweb looking for something with great features and a low used price point where a beginner could start--I just picked up a "used" Solo from B&H Photo for under $300. By "used"...the thing still had the original plastic films all over the high gloss black plastic--IMO this was an Open Box but never flown. This thing is simply cool and Bad-Ass looking.
Anyways, Have not put it in the air yet but Everything appears to be in working order. No Gimble but have the Hero 7 Black, so am not too concerned since am just beginning learning to fly, etc. One issue I found is while the H7 connects fine, mount it upside down and the live feed is upside down. I am simply plugging H7 into the existing micro HDMI. I installed OpenSolo, using SidePilot on iOS. Am not finding a parameter where can flip the live video feed. Any suggestions other than turning iPhone upside down??

Reactions: Lrsafari
New to the drone world, couple buddies have them, I've admired from afar and after watching tons of YouTube and poking around the interweb looking for something with great features and a low used price point where a beginner could start--I just picked up a "used" Solo from B&H Photo for under $300. By "used"...the thing still had the original plastic films all over the high gloss black plastic--IMO this was an Open Box but never flown. This thing is simply cool and Bad-Ass looking.
Anyways, Have not put it in the air yet but Everything appears to be in working order. No Gimble but have the Hero 7 Black, so am not too concerned since am just beginning learning to fly, etc. One issue I found is while the H7 connects fine, mount it upside down and the live feed is upside down. I am simply plugging H7 into the existing micro HDMI. I installed OpenSolo, using SidePilot on iOS. Am not finding a parameter where can flip the live video feed. Any suggestions other than turning iPhone upside down??
There is another problem, you may not be aware of, the 3DR Solo's Gimbal connects with GoPro hero up to and including the Hero 4, anything above doesn't plug into the Gimbal.

The Hero 7 has a option to turn camera upside down. Look in the settings. I have one on my Solo and it’s awesome without a gimbal. Per-say.

Hey Scott, I am new to the hobby and the Solo is my first. Being the analytical type I spent a lot of time researching. First, I love that these drones were built by 3D Robotics. Second, I believe they have a much longer life expectancy to them as there are so many people into them. I love how these vehicles handle wind. I had mine up in 30mph and didn't phase it. If you look to sell one let me know. Quality American machine for a value.

Hey Scott, I am new to the hobby and the Solo is my first. Being the analytical type I spent a lot of time researching. First, I love that these drones were built by 3D Robotics. Second, I believe they have a much longer life expectancy to them as there are so many people into them. I love how these vehicles handle wind. I had mine up in 30mph and didn't phase it. If you look to sell one let me know. Quality American machine for a value.
Hi Kevin, are you still interested in buying one? I have a Solo up for sell now, it comes with Gopro 3+, 2 batteries, controller, gimbal and all accessories. I live in Texas.

Attachments

• FD591A33-3CBD-4AAA-B8C8-138530102629.jpeg
    FD591A33-3CBD-4AAA-B8C8-138530102629.jpeg
    317 KB · Views: 5
I am holding off for a little while. I feel like I have been banging my head in the wall but making steady progress. Moved over to Solex and just got that working with a Android 9.0 10" tablet. I want to make sure I get this set up as a viable option for what I want to do. If I do, I will be in the market for others.

I am holding off for a little while. I feel like I have been banging my head in the wall but making steady progress. Moved over to Solex and just got that working with a Android 9.0 10" tablet. I want to make sure I get this set up as a viable option for what I want to do. If I do, I will be in the market for others.
I see. The thing is, I was browsing local store looking for an affordable Non-DJI drone and I found a good Solo deal. Then I purchased it.

It’s not like I don like this drone. I only have it for sell while playing around with it. If there’s someone who wanna get a hang of it, I’m willing to sell them. Otherwise, I will just keep it.

I'm new to this adventure as well! I've had several small toy drones to learn to fly and play with. Last month at the beginning of December I got a deal on the complete Solo, gimbal, backpack and all. Already have 5 to date! Some brand new never flown in the original boxes. One that is 'used' so it will be my tester for new SW and options available. Being completely new to real drones I'm sure I'll ask some of the simplest questions that have been answered some where at sometime. Simple issues I have already had are video drops off with a GoPro 3+ Black. I started with a Solo updated with 2.4.2 3DR SW. A newly updated GoPro 3+ Black mounted in a fully operational gimbal. I can get it to record for about a minute & a half. The camera stops recording without errors, or any I have noticed so far. Two Solo's with two different 3+'s and both seem to do the same thing. I just want to be able to record the entire flight as each GoPro has a 32GB SD card that can record plenty of 1080P video. GoPro's used handheld or in Hawaii diving recently have worked without any issue to date... Anyone have ideas as to why I cannot record as needed with stock clean working hardware. Or links to cheat sheets & notes so I can read up on what I need to know!
Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc