New in Box Solo - Connected - then not so much

Reaction score
NIB from B&H backpack bundle. Out of the backpack everything was groovy, everything connected out of the box, updated both rc and solo and was ready to fly. Took to a spot where I test fly all my RC's - up on a large hill. Decided to run first w/out prop's (glad I did) .... had 8 sat's and hit to take off ...within 5 seconds lost connection to RC and have never been able to connect again. I get the waiting for SOLO message. Have searched the threads here and tried various things to solve the issue.

Lights on the controller -- I get the flashing orange so from what I read this means the controller booted properly - I can connect to RC with my tablet via the Solo app. I read this to mean the controller is FINE - Is that correct or is there anything else I should be doing to the controller?

I tried to factory reset the Solo ... Turn it off, turn it on with paperclip in re-set hole for 15 seconds but it never BLINKS .. just stays ORANGE. Tried a dozen times.. waiting up to 4 minutes and no blinky of the orange light. Solo boots up and front lights are white and rear are Red.

Question - If you are unable to get the orange blinky when trying a RESET the Solo is there anything else to try or is it just a return at that point?

Had high hopes that out of the box all would work and in fact they did but that only lasted for a few minutes - LOL :)

Seems like you're not depressing the switch within the pairing hole. Try using a toothpick and make sure you feel it "click" when you depress it.

Yep - that's what I thought as well. I'm using a paperclip and can feel it depress the button. I'm 100% confident I'm pressing the button but never get the light to do anything but stay solid. So if I'm unable to get it to blink then is it correct to assume it's done?

Also am I correct in assuming the RC is ok since it's booting with blinking orange light?

GCS sounds like it's okay. If app connects to it, it is doing what it should.

Sounds like you got one of the birds with a poorly installed MicroSD Card on the IMX.6. If you're willing to do surgery, remove and re-seat . Bet 8-1 that it comes right back up. If not, give B&H a call.

Gotcha. So you think that could explain he behavior? Updated and connected fine out of the box but then all of a sudden was not able to connect again? Also would it prevent a system restore like in my case the orange light stays orange?

Gotcha. So you think that could explain he behavior? Updated and connected fine out of the box but then all of a sudden was not able to connect again? Also would it prevent a system restore like in my case the orange light stays orange?
The vibration from motor spool up will shake the card so it loses contact.

And yes, it loses the ability to do system restore since it can't read the restore partition. Or any partition for that matter.

The vibration from motor spool up will shake the card so it loses contact.

And yes, it loses the ability to do system restore since it can't read the restore partition. Or any partition for that matter.
Thanks Bruce - is there a way to get to the sd card w/out taking the Solo completly apart?

Not really.

Again, DO NOT ATTEMPT IF YOU ARENT PREPARED TO INVALIDATE YOUR WARRANTY.

Remove battery tray, disconnect GPS. Loosen the one screw holding the main boar. Slide main board gently towards gimbal space. Tilt up on side away from accessory port cable. *Gently* slice adhesive, remove card, re-seat.

Assembly is reverse of disassembly.

OR....just call B&H

Yeah I'd be all set to rip apart a refurb but for a brand new unit the only real option was to send it back. Pita because up until it was bricked (30 minutes or so) it was smooth sailing - LOL. Certainly not a confidence booster about longevity of this drone although to be fair after reading thru this forum and elsewhere the majority of issues were around GPS lock and I was ready/prepared for that.

Reactions: tickingheart
NIB from B&H backpack bundle. Out of the backpack everything was groovy, everything connected out of the box, updated both rc and solo and was ready to fly. Took to a spot where I test fly all my RC's - up on a large hill. Decided to run first w/out prop's (glad I did) .... had 8 sat's and hit to take off ...within 5 seconds lost connection to RC and have never been able to connect again. I get the waiting for SOLO message. Have searched the threads here and tried various things to solve the issue.

Lights on the controller -- I get the flashing orange so from what I read this means the controller booted properly - I can connect to RC with my tablet via the Solo app. I read this to mean the controller is FINE - Is that correct or is there anything else I should be doing to the controller?

I tried to factory reset the Solo ... Turn it off, turn it on with paperclip in re-set hole for 15 seconds but it never BLINKS .. just stays ORANGE. Tried a dozen times.. waiting up to 4 minutes and no blinky of the orange light. Solo boots up and front lights are white and rear are Red.

Question - If you are unable to get the orange blinky when trying a RESET the Solo is there anything else to try or is it just a return at that point?

Had high hopes that out of the box all would work and in fact they did but that only lasted for a few minutes - LOL :)
Just re read OP yeah it sounds like the SD card on the solo is not seated properly

Last edited:
Just re read OP yeah it sounds like the SD card on the solo is not seated properly
Well the good news, or bad news is depending on how you read it is that overnight nothing changed in terms of the AC behaving. I did have a change with the RC though ... whereas it would reset by holding down fly and on previously in the AM holding down both buttons resulted in a regular boot to "waiting for solo". I was trying to do a reset on RC because it was no longer broadcasting it's SSID.

Is there a post/doc that tells us what all the lights on the Solo do/mean? I learned that the controller lights in side need to have 3 .. two of which stay on (red and ...) and orange needs to blink --? I assume this is showing it booted properly and is broadcasting? What does the light next to the accessory port supposed to do when in normal condition? Mine stayed orange but I'm assuming it's not supposed to stay orange? I know it's supposed to blink fast during the factory reset.

How about the light across from that one - on the other side of the reset hole -- upon reboot when I had paperclip engaged it would blink fast LOL but then would go out.

Why not exchange the Solo through B&H? They should replace the unit for you and then “just bruce” will end end up buying it from B&H and fixing it to add to his collection. Everyone ends up smiling.

Ha - long story but now I remember why I stopped buying from them back in the day. Seems every time I needed them they were either on a religious holiday or were about to do go on one. When I called to get a return auth they were heading into a relig holiday and let me know that my credit would likely be delayed because they are out most of October for another - LOL. In any event I ordered via my trusted vendor and Solo was here next day.

Well I noticed they were closed and not available to take orders this morning. Bummer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig