New Gimbal and Hero4B...some questions.

Reaction score
Installed new Gimbal and Hero 4 Black w/firmware 5.00. I have searched and found some answers, but still have a few questions:
1 - I can move camera up and down with the controller...should I be able to move it sideways?
2 - As the Solo sits on a level tabletop, the camera it is perfectly level, but angled to the right about 15 degrees...should it be pointing straight ahead?
3 - I'm using Side Pilot on an iPhone SE...my main screen shows the satellite map with only a box containing a video feed from the camera. Can I make the video feed full screen? (I found the answer to this one in the Side Pilot manual).
4 - Is there any firmware that I need to be worried about (have to update) on the gimbal?
5 - I have Open Solo v2.5-RC3, and have been using Side Pilot. However, I like the way the Solo app shows full screen video feed with NOTHING on the screen except the feed. The only thing in Side Pilot I really like better is the ability to load parameters. Other than that, I kinda like the Solo app better. Is there any issue switching between the apps?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:
Reactions: redjr16
I rolled my Hero 4 back to 3.00, I like the camera powering on and off with the bird. With 5.00 you have to power camera up manually.
1- No, you use left stick to pan the aircraft
2 - I think they are all that way, so leg isn't in view. Don't know if it can be tweaked in firmware.
3 - Not familiar with side pilot. I use 3DR solo app, you really do need those parameters to show (satellites, signal strength, battery remaining etc) to keep you out of trouble.
4 - Gimbal updates with aircraft and controller updates
5 - I wouldn't switch while flying if thats what you meant.

Reactions: allen_993
From what I've read the only real "drawback" to Hero4 v5.00 is the 'gotta power Solo up manually'...not an issue for me. However, you "gain" a 'Linear Field of View' setting...which gets rids of the fisheye effect of the camera. I know that can be taken out in post processing, but I really don't like dealing with that, or at least like the option of not having to deal with it.

1 - got it...thanks.
2 - this sounds strange, curious if that is fact or myth...I've read online debates about this.
3 - I'm talking about Ardupilot parameters...FS_BATT_VOLTAGE, RTL_ALT_FINAL, RTL_LOIT_TIME, etc. The parameters you speak of can be toggled ON/OFF with a simple tap/swipe of the
screen when on video feed.
4 - got it...thanks....my gimbal is running 1.3.6.
5 - I never switch between them. I just use SidePilot for some things, and Solo app for other things. Was just wondering if anything in the firmwares was "tied" to one app or the other. Don't want
Solo dropping out of the sky because some parameter was called that doesn't exist in Solo app!

Thank you very much for the responses...I'm slowly, but surely, getting educated on this stuff.

Installed new Gimbal and Hero 4 Black w/firmware 5.00. I have searched and found some answers, but still have a few questions:
1 - I can move camera up and down with the controller...should I be able to move it sideways?
2 - As the Solo sits on a level tabletop, the camera it is perfectly level, but angled to the right about 15 degrees...should it be pointing straight ahead?
3 - I'm using Side Pilot on an iPhone SE...my main screen shows the satellite map with only a box containing a video feed from the camera. Can I make the video feed full screen? (I found the answer to this one in the Side Pilot manual).
4 - Is there any firmware that I need to be worried about (have to update) on the gimbal?
5 - I have Open Solo v2.5-RC3, and have been using Side Pilot. However, I like the way the Solo app shows full screen video feed with NOTHING on the screen except the feed. The only thing in Side Pilot I really like better is the ability to load parameters. Other than that, I kinda like the Solo app better. Is there any issue switching between the apps?

Thanks in advance for the help.
#2- 15 deg. sounds like a lot but as long as the legs aren't in the frame when using "medium" field of view I wouldn't be concerned. The "wide" FOV on a proper gimbal will frequently get, usually, the left leg in the shot.

Also, if you are seeing your blades in the shot, try moving the gimbal down to about 85 deg when flying forward.:D

2 - this sounds strange, curious if that is fact or myth...I've read online debates about this.
I fly with three different gimbals and each have some variance of yaw shift, but within 2-3 degrees of forward if not dead on. Fifteen degrees, if true, would indicate to me a bad install. Mainly the HDMI cable is pushing or pulling at the gimbal. Might want to inspect the install from a top down approach, removing the battery tray will allow this view.

Here's a video showing an install, this shows more than normal as the main board was not installed. It's just to give you an idea of what you are looking at on your install.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's probably less than 15 deg. Here is a couple of pictures...you think is 'normal'? My gimbal is free moving, and no contact with any cables...I spent a TON of time routing the HDMI and Data (new version) cable My video is very solid, no jitter or the like. However, and am struggling with playback issues for 2.7K/60fps and up. Playback is smooth for 1 sec, then hangs for .25 sec, and this repeats for the entire video. The lower resolution I go, the less that effect happens.

camera offset angle 00.JPG camera offset angle 01.JPG

However, and am struggling with playback issues for 2.7K/60fps and up. Playback is smooth for 1 sec, then hangs for .25 sec, and this repeats for the entire video. The lower resolution I go, the less that effect happens.
Playback on PC? if so has more to do with graphic processor/card in computer, not your video. My older iMac would do same to high res/high fps video but my newer 5k iMac is smooth on 4k video. No lag or stutter.

I was trying to playback on my Win7 PC. I've concluded that my video issues are unrelated to Solo & Gimbal...that is working great. I just need to spend time to figure out what is the optimum resolution/fps on the camera, for the playback device. Here's how I see it. First, I need to determine what device will be used to view the videos...PC, phone, TV, etc. Then, set my camera to produce video that works best for THAT device.

So I found a Media player called "VLC Media Player". It plays all resolutions of video perfectly on my Win7 PC. The GoPro produces *.mp4 files, which normally use QuickTime player...that was NOT working well for me at all. Vey happy to have found the VLC Media Player!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo