Mystery of the failing GPS on 3DR SOLO

Reaction score
Please, share your experience with the behavior of the SOLO's GPS, both positive or negative, notably if you:
  • need to wait for GPS longer than minute
  • need to wait for GPS even if you have 7 and more satellites for longer than minute
  • experienced GPS loss in open space
  • experienced GPS loss in semi-open space like few trees around
  • experienced GPS loss in-flight
While you may have 9 flights of 10 OK and it happens once, it is a problem.

Extreme cases, like dense urban area flights with tall buildings around, limited satellites visibility in hilly terrain, heavy foliage etc. are of course excluded cases, where reliable GPS operation can't be expected.

Also good to note what the solo firmware version is when someone posts this info.....GPS is supposedly faster and more reliable on the newer firmware.

GPS acquisition happened almost instantaneously for the first few flights and the most recent flight it took about 5 minutes to acquire enough to fly, but it had 7 satellites for most of the wait time. I've flown it in the same location as previous flights, not sure why it took so long. clear skies.

mine seems to be faster.
worked great this morning.

GPS is one thing that has been solid for me, old an new firmware. I even get GPS lock in my house.

GPS has not been a problem for me either, with either Solo. Since the update the GPS lock is the fastest I've experienced! I have to wait 2-3 minutes for a lock on my Phantoms 1 & 2, and my Iris+.

New update, locked on to 12 in about 1 minute, 14 by the time I turned GP on. No complaints, has been rock solid from day 1.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc