Multipoint Cable Cam - Path Repeatability

Reaction score
Website
www.jlphotocreative.com
I may be jumping the gun here as I haven't tested it to a great degree but I am just canvassing thoughts on the repeatability of the MP Cable Cam function.

I tried a few different runs setting some MP Cable Cam. You will be aware that after setting the end point you can play the cable cam back to the start point (i.e. in reverse). I found on more than one occasion that when Solo arrived back at the start point it was a good 5m (15+ feet) away from the original start point and also at a slightly different altitude (-1 to 2m). I found this quite alarming, but before I knock the functionality too much I think there are a few influencing factors:
  • Trees. Although not a dense tree-line it may have had an effect. There were no trees between me and Solo.
  • Slope. I was on a slope and the start and end points were effectively at different altitudes
  • Short Cable Cam. One of the trials I did was possibly only a 30m (100 feet) cable with perhaps 6 way points. I was also only flying at between 4 - 10 metres (15 to 30 feet). This was slightly unnerving to the point that I had to exit the shot as Solo was heading for a tree which I was clear of at the start.
My thoughts are that at higher altitudes and wider shots this would almost be imperceptible and therefore I was wondering what others have experience in tighter or lower situations. i am wanting to follow Mountain Bikers and any higher than 30 feet is generally too far for detail unless its an expansive scene type shot.

I have attached a sample location video still (I'm in it sitting down!!).

Attachments

• IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
You will always be limited to the accuracy of consumer GPS, which can and will vary from flight to flight. GPS is reporting to Solo where it needs to be, but the accuracy reported is subject to error by as much as 3-4m easy. Solo is just looking at a number (Coordinate) and flies to that number in space. Barometer is used for altitude and can be influenced by outside factors as well, including weather.

Here is an interesting test someone did a while back on the subject:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: J R and Ian [P13]
You will always be limited to the accuracy of consumer GPS, which can and will vary from flight to flight. GPS is reporting to Solo where it needs to be, but the accuracy reported is subject to error by as much as 3-4m easy. Solo is just looking at a number (Coordinate) and flies to that number in space. Barometer is used for altitude and can be influenced by outside factors as well, including weather.

Here is an interesting test someone did a while back on the subject:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
In the video description he said that he waited a while... How can that be!? The shadows are all at the same exact spot. I guess it all depends on his definition of "a while". [emoji12]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo