mRobotics M8N GPS

though I really never had major issues with my stock one. I may buy a second Jordi unit, cause they are just that good.

I installed jordi units on both of my solos and i would recommend it as an essential upgrade to the solo.
just for kicks i called up my friend with a phantom 4 and compared both drones. I was impressed with how much solid it flew next to the Phantom 4 - it looked more fixed in the sky and I was acquiring satellites much faster than he was.

I'm also able to fly under trees now without the Solo going on manual fly because of lack of GPS connection.

In the past when i flew under obstacles and lost GPS the solo went on manual flight and it seemed to drift but now i'm confident to fly it anywhere.

Just installed the mRo M8N GPS in my solo. Acquisition of 12 sats in < 10 seconds. Test flight of 10 minutes with between 16 & 19 sats throughout. Very excited.

With the M8N upgrade the cable cam features is also so much more accurate - I can repeat the same flight path with extreme accuracy - it is literally just how they first described the solo during the initial release. The best part is you can save the shots - so you can set the flight path with great accuracy replace the battery and then redo the shots again. This features is so impressive - for this reason i'm hanging on to my Solo - even though I am drooling over the new DJI drones. just being honest

Reactions: Clint Miller
I finally pulled the trigger tonight as well as on the new shield. Can't wait to test.

Most of you probably know about this unit, designed by Jordi Munoz, one of the founders of 3D Robotics. When it was initially described as "beta" or something like that, I held off awaiting whatever improvements might be made.

I noticed last week that it dropped the beta tag, is now listed as "Release 2", and I figured what the heck... While I've never had an issue with the stock GPS beside sometimes long lock times, the fact that it often wouldn't pick up more than 6 or 8 satellites concerned me. I've read all the arguments about the susceptibility of the M8N to interference and loss of satellites, but in my thinking, having a narrow band unit that's less susceptible to interference, but is at times only 1 to 2 satellites away from loosing a fix, isn't all together better than a wide band unit that might loose a satellite or two, but is still comfortably 10 satellites away from loosing a fix.

Anyway, I replaced one of my GPSs with a Drotek M8N with decent results, but this one is amazing. I started up my Solo in our townhouse courtyard, which is surrounded by 2 story units, so not the clearest view of the sky. Within a minute of the first start, I had 15 satellites and an HDOP of 1... with the stock, I'd never see more than 7 in this location. I then took the Solo to a local field with a nice clear view of the sky, turned it on and before I could clip my phone into the controller, it was ready to fly with 20 satellites and an HDOP of .6. There was no twitching, no wandering, position holds were rock steady.

Really impressed and if I had the need to have more than one Solo in the sky at the same time, I wouldn't hesitate buying these for the others.

If anyone else was holding off waiting for other's experiences, count me in the satisfied column. Here's a link to the unit:

mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N (Release 2)
Totally agree, an excellent upgrade to Solo 18 - 21 satellites and DHOP 0.6 - 0.8, first flight takes 30 seconds to lock on 16+ satellites, second flight of the flying session takes 15 seconds to acquire sat lock of 16+ satellites. I also use the GPS shield V2.

Just installed a mRo GPS unit in my Solo this morning and did some backyard testing. I will say that before the swap, I had no problem acquiring satellites with the original Solo GPS rev. A unit, but I could only get 10 satellites with an HDOP of 1.0. After installing the mRo Neo-M8N (release 2) GPS unit, I was able to acquire 17-18 satellites with an HDOP of 0.6-0.7 within 30 seconds using the original copper GPS shield. Will perform a flight test this afternoon to see if there is any noticeable changes in flight characteristics.

I am curious, did you use the same (original) connector for the mRO M8N or did you have to get the adapters also, that are listed on their web site? Thanks!

I am curious, did you use the same (original) connector for the mRO M8N or did you have to get the adapters also, that are listed on their web site? Thanks!

Greetings Bret,
No need for any adapter cables if installing the M8N on a Solo, just swap out the boards and plug in the existing cable connector. The other cables are for other drone models with different connectors.
Best regards,

Reactions: Bret
Sorry for my delayed reply, my altitude is pretty much +-1' at take off and landing without motors running. Went through 5 batteries yesterday and made a mental note for your request.

Fwiw, like Jublar, the altitude reading is a reference only in my opinion and regardless of brands flown. Air pressure, is air pressure...ground effect, speed of motion, temperature, gusting winds, large object wind-shears or tree lines influence air pressure.

As an example I was hovering 1' off the ground and had a alt of 9' in the app. Once I landed and shut off the motors it went +-1'...

Reactions: Jubalr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44