Motor Pods

RDA

Reaction score
I've searched this and not quite sure I'm using search correctly so here goes. I oil my motor bearings after each flight. I've noticed that a couple of pods have gotten quite rough turning to the feel as others have not. I have 4 Solo's that I fly. 2 with Gimbal & 2 without Sport flying trying different modes. When would I want to change a motor pod out it terms of roughness or hours? Thanks!

I have been oiling my motors about once every 10 - 15 flights. to me, the motor pods to me seem to be hit or miss ... I have brand new Solo, less than two weeks old, 70 or so take off/landing "flights", with roughly 10 hours flight time on the new drone/motors ... motor #3 started sounding and feeling "loose" a few days ago which was making me nervous to fly ... replaced motor #3 with a spare motor from one of my "parts" solo's, not real sure how many hours this replacement motor #3 has on it, but it seems to be in good shape and doesn't feel "weird" in any way when the motor is turned... ran vibrations tests on each motor, and all pretty well seem to be vibration free... next project, rebuilding motor pods using the SunnySky X2216 880KV II motors... motors are on order and should be here on Monday :)

I would not recommend oiling the motor bearings nearly that often. Maybe once every 25 hours.
All that extra oil just attracts dirt.
I agree- you're over-oiling them. Probably full of dirt now. Might try cleaning them with some electronic parts spray cleaner, then oiling with tiny amounts of oil, like Tri-Flow.

I agree- you're over-oiling them. Probably full of dirt now. Might try cleaning them with some electronic parts spray cleaner, then oiling with tiny amounts of oil, like Tri-Flow.
How do you guys get access to the bearing on the bottom of the motors for oiling? And what oil is recommended for doing this?

Bill

How do you guys get access to the bearing on the bottom of the motors for oiling? And what oil is recommended for doing this?

Bill

Just remove the clear LED cover. You will need a needle applicator to get in there but really should be using one anyway to limit excess oil. I bought a good synthetic oil in a needle applicator bottle (intended for skateboard bearings) from Amazon. Don't remember the brand. I hear Tri-flow is good.

I don't understand I worked as a millwright for 20 years had to deal with bearings some were pretty special meaning had to be loaded with exact amounts of special grease we didn't have access to in North America but sealed bearings come with enough oil /grease to last the life of the bearing period That said I am getting hold of the bearing manufacture as to what they recommend I will get back to you all on this

Tom, this subject has been debated here many times. Many users have replaced the original bearings with aftermarket.

So we have a variety of brands, sealed, unsealed, etc., which generates a lot of discussion.

Most people seem to agree that folks are more likely to over oil them than not oiling enough. There is very little surface area where the shaft goes through the bearing so not much lube is needed. Any excess will just flow, drip or blow out.

Let us know what you find out. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig