Limp at 0 to 35

Reaction score
I'm of course referring to the gimbal. A while back I was trying to use the solo for engagement shoot and the gimbal just went limp. I've had a couple of instances in the past where it was the precursor 2 motor issue.

So on this run I did a bearing change and upon testing had the same issue. So upon doing a ton of research I've been determined it must be my Go Pro as it was insanely hot to touch and I knew I was having problems with it anyway. I've been waiting for an opportunity to buy the Hero 4 black and use this as the excuse thinking this would solve my problem.

Alas it did not.

When I was testing the gimbal on the table I noticed it was making a sound when it about 35 degrees or so but at 9 t there was no noise.

The gimbal works fine at 90°it's when I tilt it down at 35 to 0 that I have issues. I've checked all the connections and quite some time back I clipped the tie that was holding the cable to the frame.

I've attached a video are the gimbal going limp during flight when I get home from work I'll post another video of the noise that gimbal makes.

Any insights will be greatly appreciated

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Based on your description I'd have to say it is the pitch motor is in some type of bind. If true, the motor will overheat and then heat up the GP, as they reside near each other. The gimbal will flop if in an overload condition.

If you've had any past crashes, there are things to check. Inspect the pitch motor's plastic housing, some times they can bind if not properly installed. As well, pitch the camera holder by hand to insure the rotation is centered rather than orbital. Viewing from the left hand side will reveal easier any offset in rotation.

You replaced the gimbal bearings? If so which ones....?

I replaced the motorpod bearings, not the gimbal bearings. I will delve deeper into the gimbal and see if something is binding and report back.
Thanks Rich

Here's the gimbal video

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That was cool, but just an example of the problem. It's hard to tell what is causing the loading from the video or whether the rotation is not center lined.

With Solo off, pitch the camera holder through its rotation by hand manually. You are trying to see/feel/hear any bind in the rotation. It should be obvious if mechanically bound. I don't think the motor windings are bad since you get more than a 45 free rotation before fail.

Random thoughts...things it could be.

If the pitch rotation's alignment is not the cause...bent assembly. You could have closed up tolerances between the roll arm. and pitch assy.. With the pitch housing removed, you can see the parts are mated by the motor's shaft adapter. There is a philips screw holding the adapter to the roll arm. To loosen, remove the grub screw first from the end of the shaft adapter, 1.3mm hex. They should be close, but not binding.

As well the shaft adapter is held onto the shaft by another grub screw. During re-assembly I've set the adapter too short/long, causing the motor to bind. I'd imagine the factory used a gap gauge of sorts when assembling the gimbals. Once gimbals get out in the wild stuff happens.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela