Microsoft hyperlapse for drone footage?

Reaction score
5min one direction flight in 30seconds.

Hyper lapse
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Unstabilsed fcpx

Stabilized fcpx

Ms hyper lapse. It's been out for a while initially with gimped output options. Now you can buy it and use it.

Watermarked and free to try, or no watermark and $50. New version for OSX out recently.

More designed for long form shakey action camera stuff. Think walking through a city, hiking up a mountain, skiing down a slope.

Especially where your axis facing forward is overall straight where you are going but deviates. It actually interpolates frames and averages out the direction you are going and speeds it up. Turn your head to the left for a short period on your journey, it just takes those frames out. Automagically.

Anyway sometimes we've all seen too many 10m flights or even 5min flights where 30seconds of it would be plenty.

I can edit with fcpx, it's $300 I think, I can use its stabilizer to smooth out gimbal shots further. Sometimes I just cannot be bothered especially if I have to cut more than just the head and tail to make it interesting (often do in hobby flying vs more commercial where you are only using a 3 second shot mixed with other footage). What I shot was semi interesting, deserves a less involved edit.

Ms hyperlapse auto detected my GoPro model and lens, set a start and stop point, it hit next like 5 times and walked away.

I'm interested in what people think of it compared to fcpx unstabilised (so no real edit) vs fcpx stabilised vs hyperlapse ?

Best types of shots to use it for? Meandering exploration? Coastal fly alongs ?

Micro vibrations still in which ones? Motion on gimbal tilts handled well? Not as good?

Any feedback?

Tim,

I did look at it yesterday. The first time I watched it I thought the Hyperlapse looked the best. After watching all of them a few times, they all started melding together. Any way it shakes, I thought it looked really cool!

I've been doing some fairly long river runs that can get quite boring. Putting 4-5 of them end to end and applying something like this might make them a bit more interesting.

I'm not a good judge of the photographic elements of flight yet. Fair at flying and tinkering but not much experience at this type of stuff. Wish I could be of more use.

Jerry

Thanks jerry! That does sound like a good use, river runs. Have you posted any yet?

I'd like to learn to fly "plane mode" where it makes banking style turns. That would be good for a meandering river maybe. I'd like to try flying a river fpv googles as well.

Reactions: J R
Tim,

Here's one. The objective was a bit different though.

Jerry

Jerry, very nice! And 10,000ft at max distance! So peaceful. That looks like a perfect river to bank the turns on. Learning airplane flying mode just went to the top of my list. ..... Starts thinking about rivers near me...

Makes me temporarily forget that I'm flying an angry bee in terms of noise

just bought hyperlapse pro this morining

Cool! Be interested to see what you apply it to. I goproed a flight in a friends small plane to Sydney Australia so we could do loops around the Sydney harbour bridge and opera house at 500ft at night. (Still can't believe they let ga pilots do that) It was magical once there, but boring on the way. Think I might pony up the $50 and hyper lapse it :)

Reactions: pyrate
Isn't that funny. You would think you could just pick a profile that wasn't a GoPro and still use adv processing?. My first trial run through I hit 'advanced' In terms of processing, it auto detected gopro4 and wide, I am using a rectilinear lens, and it did produce a psycadelic mess. I processed it with "standard" and that's what came out above. I did not look into that further, but will now.

I know my long form other piece I wanted to process was with a standard GoPro lens. Maybe it will flatten it out for me...

Jerry,

Did you get that dash ware working with solo? Looks like it might using flytrex 3g. Or does it allow you to use your life as input from android/iOS?

Cheers

Tim,

Here's one. The objective was a bit different though.

Jerry

How did you manage that distance and time on a Solo battery?? Also, did you use an FPVLR, and is there a longer lasting aftermarket battery for the solo? Also, what mode/option did you choose to get that live data display at the bottom of your video? That looks cool and very informative for practice and exploration runs.

Last edited:
He used dash ware as he mentioned, but that video was a p3, says the model on bottom of feed. That's why I asked if he got it working on solo. They don't have it listed on their website as compatible but at worst you can feed in gps standard file types which could probably be extracted from the logs. Alternatively it works with flytrex who have a solo cable

Isn't that funny. You would think you could just pick a profile that wasn't a GoPro and still use adv processing?. My first trial run through I hit 'advanced' In terms of processing, it auto detected gopro4 and wide, I am using a rectilinear lens, and it did produce a psycadelic mess. I processed it with "standard" and that's what came out above. I did not look into that further, but will now.

I know my long form other piece I wanted to process was with a standard GoPro lens. Maybe it will flatten it out for me...

Try changing the FOV type from Wide to Medium or Narrow for your rect. lens.

Try changing the FOV type from Wide to Medium or Narrow for your rect. lens.

In hyper lapse to process as advanced you mean? I certainly can try. Haven't relooked it it at all yet or explored the non auto detected camera fov choices

In hyper lapse to process as advanced you mean? I certainly can try. Haven't relooked it it at all yet or explored the non auto detected camera fov choices

Right. Since your modified lens produces a video more similar to shooting in Medium or Narrow FOV setting on a standard GoPro, I've had good results with MS HL and those settings with my rect. lens.

Jerry,

Did you get that dash ware working with solo? Looks like it might using flytrex 3g. Or does it allow you to use your life as input from android/iOS?

Cheers

Tim,

Yeah, it is Flytrex. Not A Solo, different bird. You asked about river runs, don't have any with the Solo yet. I don't think the Solo would have made this particular journey on it's current battery set-up.

Jerry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44