Maximum altitude limit keeps reverting to 200ft

Reaction score
I'm finding the maximum altitude setting keeps reverting itself back to 200ft at random. I will go in, change it to 400ft. Then a few flights later, it resets itself to 200. Is this a bug 3DR is working on?

Note, I am not talking about the known RTH altitude setting bug. This is altiitude limit that cuts off the climb and says "maximum altitude reached".

I'm on the current firmware, and it's done this on numerous occasions.

I'm finding the maximum altitude setting keeps reverting itself back to 200ft at random. I will go in, change it to 400ft. Then a few flights later, it resets itself to 200. Is this a bug 3DR is working on?

Note, I am not talking about the known RTH altitude setting bug. This is altiitude limit that cuts off the climb and says "maximum altitude reached".

I've noticed this too. Even with just the Solo app. It will announce at 200' that maximum altitude has been reached, but does not effect flight. it's just an alert, and It allows me to pass through it. Not sure why 200 and hope it is addressed at the next update.

I've noticed this too. Even with just the Solo app. It will announce at 200' that maximum altitude has been reached, but does not effect flight. it's just an alert, and It allows me to pass through it. Not sure why 200 and hope it is addressed at the next update.

I get the exact same thing too. It's consistent every time I climb to 200 ft.

It stops at 200ft then when I release the throttle then try again it continues on to the actual 400ft limit that I set.

It did look like a bug. Did anyone report it yet?

I do switch between tower and solo apps on occasion. I never noticed if there was corolation to the setting reverting, but it certainly could be. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I ever actually tried centering the throttle, then pushing it back up to see if it is more of a stop-and-proceed type thing. I'll have to try that.

Sounds like 3DR put it in intentionally to keep folks at or below 200'.

If you look in "settings" has the setting changed from 400'?

I find it hard to believe that 3DR would make user settings revert at random and without user notification. I don't think that's the answer here. Yes, the setting in the menu will show 200ft rather than 400ft. Thinking back about the times this has happened, I'm starting thing there is correlation to connecting to Solo with Tower or Mission Planner. I will tinker with that some more this evening and see if I can find a repeatable correlation.

In any event, this highlights my need for a pre-flight checklist. Speeds, altitudes, and A/B button settings are something I often need to change based on the mission. And I often forget one or all of them until halfway through the mission and it screws up my shot.

Reactions: Maddog
I honestly don't know how the last few updates made it out of beta. Quality is going downhill on all fronts. 3DR is turning into Apple post-Jobs lol.

It's strange that the functions that don't work right are intermittent among users. Some people have the RTH altitude bug, others don't. Some have this maximum altitude bug, others don't. Some have cable cam bugs, others don't. That kind of things is very difficult to be 100% free of when you're customers are using their own hardware (phones and tablets) that have an unlimited number of modifications and differences. It's certainly plausible that none of those bugs manifested themselves in testing, no matter how many hours they spent on it.

Reactions: Doug Benson
It's strange that the functions that don't work right are intermittent among users. Some people have the RTH altitude bug, others don't. Some have this maximum altitude bug, others don't. Some have cable cam bugs, others don't. That kind of things is very difficult to be 100% free of when you're customers are using their own hardware (phones and tablets) that have an unlimited number of modifications and differences. It's certainly plausible that none of those bugs manifested themselves in testing, no matter how many hours they spent on it.

3DR needs to shrink that minimum requirements list of mobile devices and os versions. a majority of users experiencing issues are on b-list android devices running something lower than lollipop. even the solo app is targeted to ice cream sandwich. its unsupportable trying to accommodate damn near every android device out there.

on my iphone 6s, ipad air 2 and galaxy tab s, i can change max altitude and it sticks. i cannot change RTH alt though.

Speaking of hardware compatibility, I mean let say Android from brand x y z
I think its a high possibility as Frank69 mentioned.

I recenlt bought a Fluke cable insulation tester 1587 FC, newer model where it can do wifi transmission to a Fluke Apps.
The unit has not arrived yet, but I tried to download the apps to my cheapo Samsung.
I could not find the apps in Google Play. I thought someting is wrong with my Samsung. I then tried to look for the same Apps with Blackberry Priv, an android based unit...still cant find the Fluke apps in G-Play.

I then googled n googled, guess what ?
Fluke only make the Apps for 5 model of androids from like 3 brands only, LOL.

I have always thought OS version on a smartphone is what define which Apps will appear on G-Play and downloadable.

On GoPro Wifi Apps, I seen also non Samsung or less popular Android brands has problems running the Apps in full glory.

I guess since Android OS itself has so many variations, it is possible what Frank69 mentioned could be the reason why.

I think a glaring example of this situation is that SiteScan is only available for one model tablet.

I never have had any of those problems. I only have a problem with cable cam. If I set the two points at the same highth and fly back and forth I keep losing altitude until it almost hits the ground.

Same for me here in Canada !
10 weeks old solo, since latest update, always resets at 200ft.
Was not using tower.
And, I get a hard time changing the altitude return preset....

Will the tower app climb through the 200' ceiling if you set a higher altitude?

I get the same 200ft alarm and then flies through, I havent been using tower and I have a Motorola droid turbo, never had any issues until this past update...
now I have all kinds of errors, loosing connectivity with gps.

Same for me here in Canada !
10 weeks old solo, since latest update, always resets at 200ft.
Was not using tower.
And, I get a hard time changing the altitude return preset....

About setting the RTH altitude, I get that across all my devices. I find the easiest way around this is to click on the next step up or down (next to the current one) until you reach the intended height. I think this bug occurs because as you change the setting, it also saves it at the same time which interferes with the scrolling.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention my screen on the controller is going black at random times during these glitches. Only displays the battery level and the Wifi signal (i think) all other text disappears.
Any one else getting this issue as well?

Maybe but that really shouldn't be a user's problem. I bought an LGG3 because it was recommended for this app/drone and 8 months later 3dr removes it from their list because it's not always compatible with their app. This kind of non sense will end up getting them out of the market real fast. I suspect a similar issue may be behind this altitude problem, which I'm also experiencing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks