Mapir Ir or others?

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybodies tried the Mapir Ir cam or other Mapir versions? I didn't realize these were made by the folks at peau which seem to be making quality rectilinear lens replacements for Gopro according to everybody I've seen mention them.

Seems like a great price if the IR works well others certainly cost a lot more, which made me wonder if they worked well or not. I know we discussed these when solo was released but haven't seen anybody mention trying them out yet.

Also maybe let us know how you feel about those peau lenses especially those that have the gimbal and lens already?

Thanks

Reactions: Craig
Don't have the MAPIR (no need) but have a 5.44 w/super mount and various filters. Great products and knowledgeable/helpful people

Don't have the MAPIR (no need) but have a 5.44 w/super mount and various filters. Great products and knowledgeable/helpful people
Really less of a need at this point more of a want and at that price it's a cool thing to add that most don't already have.

Thanks for the info on the lens I'm guessing the 5.44 would be your recommendation? I'd use it for a lot of different things, all aerial is this the best overall choice you think. Don't use 4k much but I'm sure that'll change before long as it becomes more standard.

Really less of a need at this point more of a want and at that price it's a cool thing to add that most don't already have.

Thanks for the info on the lens I'm guessing the 5.44 would be your recommendation? I'd use it for a lot of different things, all aerial is this the best overall choice you think. Don't use 4k much but I'm sure that'll change before long as it becomes more standard.
Understood :). Well the lens depends on the FOV you want. I like the 5.44, but have considered getting a 4.35 also. I shoot 4K but don't output that often at this point. That will change, and when it dies I will move to 8K. With 4K it gives you more pixels to work with and down renders better 1080 all by itself doing nothing else, but also allows you to stabilize, zoom, and/or center the image, which crops the image and can be a little tougher to get precisely on a UAV. If you start with 1080 you have no choice but to zoom in to some point when you do those things and you lose clarity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adimuzio513
Understood :). Well the lens depends on the FOV you want. I like the 5.44, but have considered getting a 4.35 also. I shoot 4K but don't output that often at this point. That will change, and when it dies I will move to 8K. With 4K it gives you more pixels to work with and down renders better 1080 all by itself doing nothing else, but also allows you to stabilize, zoom, and/or center the image, which crops the image and can be a little tougher to get precisely on a UAV. If you start with 1080 you have no choice but to zoom in to some point when you do those things and you lose clarity.

So either way will both negate our current leg situation or should I play it safe and get the 4.35, I've not done much with lenses or filters obviously. With as much as I've invested now It would be nice to have a platform that I can use commercially once im totally confident I can give customers a quality product.

I know for certain things eventually I'd need a larger rig with a better camera but I'm pretty confident for now there's not many others even doing this locally much less doing it with a pro grade setup. I've even talked about not being professional by any means so I'm sure the small jobs I've come across a stabilized gopro video will be sufficient. I'd bet I could even use the stock setup but I'm kind of ocd in that if I do or buy something I want to make it the best possible, even if affording to do so is a rough road.

Before it's said I know I need to research and apply for an exemption and plan to before doing anything involving payment. I've actually already had to pass on two jobs I could have done otherwise because the lack of local aerial options it seems it's not hard to find jobs even when not looking.

Sorry to high jack my own thread here and take up so much time Earl, thanks though you seem to know well more than I and Im always happy to pass on the info I learn here to others.

So either way will both negate our current leg situation or should I play it safe and get the 4.35, I've not done much with lenses or filters obviously. With as much as I've invested now It would be nice to have a platform that I can use commercially once im totally confident I can give customers a quality product.

I know for certain things eventually I'd need a larger rig with a better camera but I'm pretty confident for now there's not many others even doing this locally much less doing it with a pro grade setup. I've even talked about not being professional by any means so I'm sure the small jobs I've come across a stabilized gopro video will be sufficient. I'd bet I could even use the stock setup but I'm kind of ocd in that if I do or buy something I want to make it the best possible, even if affording to do so is a rough road.

Before it's said I know I need to research and apply for an exemption and plan to before doing anything involving payment. I've actually already had to pass on two jobs I could have done otherwise because the lack of local aerial options it seems it's not hard to find jobs even when not looking.

Sorry to high jack my own thread here and take up so much time Earl, thanks though you seem to know well more than I and Im always happy to pass on the info I learn here to others.
Actually the 5.44 is narrower, and is safer for no legs. Don't forget filters. They are a must. If you shoot stock, you almost always need to use something to get rid of the fish eye, not just to get straight lines, but as you tilt, you will get "blooming" where the perspective changes as the craft moves and it looks odd. There are free options for that (including GP studio) but Premiere does that, along with stabilization, and a lot more. There are larger units that are more stable, can lift DSLR's, Ronin's, etc. but in my opinion, as the technology (like Solo) gets better (hi res cameras, smart shots, etc.) and the post software gets more add ins for aerial (stabilization, lens profiles etc.) there is less need for the bigger craft, and there is a lot to be said for something smaller that can go through doors, fit in a pack, etc. This is exactly why I am so interested in Solo.

Thanks for the tips and the correction I was debating looking up the lense field of view before I posted and obviously didn't. I've been looking into filters quite a bit here recently saw the taco set that seems great but ships from China, as well as the cheaper set that best buys pushing as for solo and the hero 4. I'm assuming the polar pro are plastic since the sets only 50 bucks so I'll probably go ahead and order the taco, but this solo launch has kinda used most of my patience up for 2015 so haven't pulled the trigger on that waiting game just yet. Also saw some decent sets through adorama or B&H guess I'll have to make a choice this week since with some luck our gimbals won't be too much longer.

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
Thanks for the tips and the correction I was debating looking up the lense field of view before I posted and obviously didn't. I've been looking into filters quite a bit here recently saw the taco set that seems great but ships from China, as well as the cheaper set that best buys pushing as for solo and the hero 4. I'm assuming the polar pro are plastic since the sets only 50 bucks so I'll probably go ahead and order the taco, but this solo launch has kinda used most of my patience up for 2015 so haven't pulled the trigger on that waiting game just yet. Also saw some decent sets through adorama or B&H guess I'll have to make a choice this week since with some luck our gimbals won't be too much longer.
I got the "Super Mount" and filters from PEAU. It allows you to stack filters, which is handy. They, are glass and ,high quality. That said, many make good products. I would make sure and get glass.

Messing with a Mapir NDVI Blue+ NIR and Gopro with a 5.4mm flat.
Hope to get a test flight in later

Attachments

• 001 (2).JPG
    001 (2).JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 57
Reactions: Earldgrayjr
Nice looking little setup, let us know how it does, I'm guessing shouldn't be much different than the weight with gimbal between em.

I have the MAPIR NDVI and RGB cams, along with the quad mount (future-proofing).
The team at Peau are great, very helpful and enthusiastic.
(Edit: I think...) ...The camera is a SJCam that has been modified.
They shoot great images, and are a breeze to use out of the box. Nice and light too without battery.
The clip that holds the cams onto the mount is a bit unnervingly flimsy, so I use velcro straps as a failsafe.
My only real gripe is, unfortunately, although the cams have wifi connectivity, getting the clock on them sync'd with my tablet (so I can geotag with the tlogs from Tower), is cumbersome and inexact (gopro has this feature and it is a godsend). I am trying to get in touch with the devs at SJCam to see if they can help me solve this.
Attached are some early examples:ndvi_01_lo.jpg ndvi_01_lut_lo.jpg rgb_01_lo.jpg

neX:)

Last edited:
So the Mapir cams are modded sjcams is what your saying correct?

So peau just does the mod and that's why they seem so much cheaper than other IR options I've seen?

Nice images from a pretty cheap option, first I've seen thanks.

All I know is that I was told to use the SJCam app to connect to them. You would need to confirm that with them.
Yes the images are pretty good for a n00b, even if I do say so myself, and with the solo at 25m altitude I'm getting ~0.7cm detail. 75m missions are getting excellent output too. I'm really enjoying playing with these little fellaz.

Great results for the price IMHO :)

Reactions: Adimuzio513
I have the MAPIR NDVI and RGB cams, along with the quad mount (future-proofing).
The team at Peau are great, very helpful and enthusiastic.
(Edit: I think...) ...The camera is a SJCam that has been modified.
They shoot great images, and are a breeze to use out of the box. Nice and light too without battery.
The clip that holds the cams onto the mount is a bit unnervingly flimsy, so I use velcro straps as a failsafe.
My only real gripe is, unfortunately, although the cams have wifi connectivity, getting the clock on them sync'd with my tablet (so I can geotag with the tlogs from Tower), is cumbersome and inexact (gopro has this feature and it is a godsend). I am trying to get in touch with the devs at SJCam to see if they can help me solve this.
Attached are some early examples:View attachment 1576 View attachment 1577 View attachment 1578

neX:)

Hi Nex, I've got a similar set up (Solo w NIR and RGB camera) wondering if you made any progress finding an easy way to sync the MAPIRs with tablet?

I have the NVDI, Green and Natural Light cameras and they work very well for the price. I do crop analysis more than anything and for the price these cameras work well. Takes a little getting use to that once you press the button it starts taking pictures at 3 second intervals. I am use an OS and the first time I flew a mission and loaded the sim card, my Mac says no pictures. The camera stores the photo's in a different files structure than what a Mac is looking for. They are there, just in a folder called "Photo". I also use there dual mount and use the Green and NVDI camera's to get the best map results IMO. I use them on my X8+ which has not problem carrying multiple cameras.

There customer service in excellent, very quick to respond with answers even if the question is not specifically about there cameras.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso