Manual mode...

Reaction score
Has anyone with a Solo had a chance to check out the manual mode at all? I'm curious how a self-centering left stick works in that situation.

I'm used to a manual quad where, when you let go of the left stick, it drops to the ground. How does this compare to manual mode on the Solo? Does it hover or sink? Is GPS involved at all at this point?

I believe the Solo uses a centered throttle stick. Meaning in manual mode the altitude will only drift slightly from where it is since there is no GPS help. But it will neither climb or drop suddenly. Similar to a well tuned quad on other systems. With the throttle in the middle the quad will only drift slightly in altitude.

The problem is 3DR is using a name "manual" that means something else with NAZA.

I think 3DR manual is like NAZA "ATTI" mode.

3DR has a mode called Acro that is more like NAZA manual.

Here is 3DRs description.

Acro
Acro is the most advanced of Solo’s flight modes. It provides unrestricted control over Solo’s roll and pitch angles. Acro is intended for performing aerial acrobatics, flips, and maneuvers requiring extreme angles. There is no altitude or position assistance in acro, so be prepared to make constant adjustment to both sticks. Acro is a copter-frame oriented mode, meaning that, in acro, Solo will always respond to controls relative to its own orientation. Acro does not require GPS lock.

Last edited:
Does the solo have a separate altimeter, or is altitude only received thru GPS? (I think I read it had a separate one)

Does the solo have a separate altimeter, or is altitude only received thru GPS? (I think I read it had a separate one)

The Pixhawk system has its own altimeter so does not need GPS for that.

Checking, Pixhawk has it's own barometr. It goes on to say:
  • If the throttle stick is in the middle (40% ~ 60%) the vehicle will maintain the current altitude.
  • Outside of the mid-throttle deadzone (i.e. below 40% or above 60%) the vehicle will descend or climb depending upon the deflection of the stick. When the stick is completely down the copter will descend at 2.5m/s and if at the very top it will climb by 2.5m/s.
Which tends to make me think that AltHold is active when the throttle stick is in it's default position, ie., centered.

Checking, Pixhawk has it's own barometr. It goes on to say:
  • If the throttle stick is in the middle (40% ~ 60%) the vehicle will maintain the current altitude.
  • Outside of the mid-throttle deadzone (i.e. below 40% or above 60%) the vehicle will descend or climb depending upon the deflection of the stick. When the stick is completely down the copter will descend at 2.5m/s and if at the very top it will climb by 2.5m/s.
Which tends to make me think that AltHold is active when the throttle stick is in it's default position, ie., centered.

Where did you find this info? I have the manual but it doesn't go into this kind of detail..

Bren you can go to 3DR site and look up the PixHawk 2 and get more info. Granted the Solo is supposed to be sporting its own flavor but should be pretty close.

Bren you can go to 3DR site and look up the PixHawk 2 and get more info. Granted the Solo is supposed to be sporting its own flavor but should be pretty close.
Thanks! I was wondering where all those details were coming from.

Reactions: TexasDroneFlyer
Acro
Acro is the most advanced of Solo’s flight modes. It provides unrestricted control over Solo’s roll and pitch angles. Acro is intended for performing aerial acrobatics, flips, and maneuvers requiring extreme angles. There is no altitude or position assistance in acro, so be prepared to make constant adjustment to both sticks. Acro is a copter-frame oriented mode, meaning that, in acro, Solo will always respond to controls relative to its own orientation. Acro does not require GPS lock.

Here's a vid of someone flying in Acro mode
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: GoodnNuff and Jimmy
Here's a few more details that I think clarifies what we have been discussing. From the Pixhawk documentation:
When altitude hold mode (aka AltHold) is selected, the throttle is automatically controlled to maintain the current altitude. Roll, Pitch and yaw operate the same as in Stabilize mode meaning that the pilot directly controls the roll and pitch lean angles and the heading.

Which says to me that in Manual Mode orientation is at the pilot's discretion but Altitude Hold is a function of Pixhawk throttle in the default position. So, taking this thought to the conclusion (boy, we REALLY need our machines!) when "far out" and hypothetically at 399' and in Manual Mode, you could "book it" home at 55mph and maintain 399' as long as there are no throttle inputs. Make sense?

Here's a few more details that I think clarifies what we have been discussing. From the Pixhawk documentation:
When altitude hold mode (aka AltHold) is selected, the throttle is automatically controlled to maintain the current altitude. Roll, Pitch and yaw operate the same as in Stabilize mode meaning that the pilot directly controls the roll and pitch lean angles and the heading.

Which says to me that in Manual Mode orientation is at the pilot's discretion but Altitude Hold is a function of Pixhawk throttle in the default position. So, taking this thought to the conclusion (boy, we REALLY need our machines!) when "far out" and hypothetically at 399' and in Manual Mode, you could "book it" home at 55mph and maintain 399' as long as there are no throttle inputs. Make sense?
That does make sense and I'm happy it's set up that way. GPS isn't necessary for altitude lock. Manual mode is relatively safe with the altitude lock as well. Sounds good.

Unfortunately, the naming conventions from Pixhawk are not the same as the Solo.

Here are the five modes available at release.

Manual
Fly:Manual mode is a version of standard flight without GPS lock. In Fly:Manual, the throttle stick controls altitude the same way as standard flight (Fly mode). However, Fly:Manual includes no GPS positioning so that, when you release the right stick, Solo will not hold its position; it will drift according to wind conditions and existing momentum. When flying in Fly:Manual, make constant adjustment to the right stick to control Solo’s position and use the left stick to maintain Solo’s orientation.

Stabilize
Stabilize mode provides full manual control without autopilot assistance. In stabilize, the autopilot regulates Solo’s roll and pitch angles so that Solo returns to level when you release the right stick. The throttle stick controls power and acceleration directly; it does not correspond to altitude. Stabilize requires fine-tuned control of both the left and right sticks to fly Solo. Stabilize does not require GPS lock.

Drift
Drift modes requires GPS lock and provides a plane-like flying experience. Drift is ideal for navigating Solo using the video feed. This is known as first-person view (FPV) and provides an immersive flying experience. In drift, Solo combines roll, pitch, and yaw onto the controller’s right stick. To navigate Solo in drift, move the right stick to initiate a coordinated turn in that direction. Releasing the right stick will cause Solo to drift to a stop over a two-second period. Solo does not automatically control altitude in drift, and will require constant adjustments to the throttle stick when flying in drift.

Acro
Advanced flight modes are for experienced operators only. Do not attempt to fly in any advanced modes unless you are comfortable flying multicopters without positioning and altitude assistance.
Do not fly in acro unless you are an extremely experienced operator. Without the proper skills, crashes in acro are highly likely.

Sport
Sport mode in a modified version of acro that includes altitude assistance and earth-frame orientation. With altitude assistance, the throttle stick behaves the same in sport as it does in standard flight (Fly mode). Earth-frame orientation differs from copter-frame orientation in that the direction of yaw rotation is in relation to the earth instead of in relation to the copter itself. For example, if Solo is pitched forward in sport mode and left yaw is applied, Solo will maintain the same pitch angle and rotate around the vertical axis. As opposed to in acro’s copter-frame orientation, in which, in the same situation, Solo will perform a cartwheel. Sport does not require GPS lock.

Reactions: Droned
In reality this is just a way to vent frustration. I think we are going to be just fine.Picking words, sentences, paragraphs is just a way to try to get closer to a flying experience,,,without anything to fly (except my practice machine). Bitching doesn't help and isn't productive but I have to admit it is taking more than a little self control not to. So until I have something to really contribute, I am going to say it's been fun, will watch the posts, but for now signing off. Good to meet you guys and best of luck. Until next time.

Hey don't run off. As you said we don't have our Solo's. We need you here to pass the time !

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Looks like Im the little kid that's going to run away from home. Sounds good until it's time to leave...lol. Ive just about exhausted exploring the minutia of Pixhawk documentation and filling in between the lines of Solo Owner's Manual. Guess I can head off to Intelite flat panel high gain directional antennas and calculating "far out" distances based upon beam widths. Sound's like fun, huh. Just want to see that black thing scooting around the sky,,or at least someone's other than 3DR QA teasing us with their acro vids. OK,,that's enough. My name's David and Im a forum addict.

I am with you on that.

The problem is we all bought a bird based on a lot of speculation and no real footage !

To make it worse there is a lot of misinformation even from the CSR's.

Hopefully soon David. I am getting anxious.

Which of the "mode options" would be most appropriate for general flying? I'm looking to do some golf course aerials, and general "fly'by's" with a level horizon. Looking forward to the gimbal in July, but which of the "modes" is best suited for easy flying over golf course fairways?

Thanks. Anxiously awaiting like everyone else.

Manual mode maintains altitude for you.
Stabalize does not.

Stabilize is probably what many of you think of when you hear "Manual" in that you must manually maintain position and altitude.

The reason it's called Stabilize is that it keeps the Solo horizontally level. Compared to the old days, that was a big step forward and at the time it made drones feel a lot more stable, thus the name. It still requires you actively maintain altitude, but it's a lot more stable than the old days. It won't let you flip the drone or do tricks. That's what sport and acro are for.

Manual mode should probably be called altitude hold. It uses the internal barometer to maintain altitude. But you "manually" maintain position and yaw.

Which of the "mode options" would be most appropriate for general flying? I'm looking to do some golf course aerials, and general "fly'by's" with a level horizon. Looking forward to the gimbal in July, but which of the "modes" is best suited for easy flying over golf course fairways?

Thanks. Anxiously awaiting like everyone else.
I would fly in normal mode, or whatever it's called using GPS and all its technology for a stable flight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc