Maiden Flight = repeated loss of connection

Just got back from a morning test flight. Went 3250' @ 290', feel I could have gone 4k easy but decided to test Orbit. When I got close to home pint, maybe 100' away, I looked down for something and as I did lowere the controller,,,and lost controller signal. As soon as I straitened up got connected. Probably nothing to do with your issue but thought it was interesting when I did a quick movement and changed antenna position maybe 45 degrees,,. Anyway, good luck again.
Yes, Rich warned us about that. I guess the controller is pretty sensitive to antenna orientation.

I having the same issue and this is my second Solo from Best Buy. I can go fly the Solo until the battery runs out just as long as I don't fly it above 200ft. Above 200ft, it loses connection and RTH is initiated then recovers on its was down. The day I got it, I did manage to go all the way to 400ft one time and it lost the signal as soon as it reached 400ft. I am using an iPhone 6+ and even tried it using an iPad mini 3. I submitted a support ticket but haven't gotten a reply. I hope they fix this soon!

You have changed your altitude limit from 200 feet I assume? If not, it hits the ceiling level that is preset on the app, and goes into RTL.

Also, check and make sure you are not hitting the altitude limit. Doing so triggers an automatic RTH. There was another member on this forum that thought he was losing his connection because it would RTH a short distance away and discovered his altitude limit was set low.
I Agree that it sounds like you are hitting the limit and initiating the RTH feature. 1st one at 400' then the 2nd one at 200'. If not, try taking it to 20' feet away and about 30' up and take a look at the RSSI value, should be-50 or less. Also, what is the RSSI at 200'?
The limit is set to 400ft. I'll check the RSSI on my next flight. Thanks!

Preflight update went smoothly. So I headed out to my RC club's flying field, a 60 acre open grass field in the rural foothills south of Seattle.
I'm using my Samsung Note 3 to run the Solo app.

I started the Solo, then the controller, and then the app after connecting to Sololink wi fi. Hit fly and had a smooth launch, did some simple stick maneuvers to get a feel for the everything then about 90 seconds into the flight I got a warning that I has lost connection to the controller and RTL had been initiated. Just like it is supposed to, it landed and shut down. So shut everything off, rebooted my phone, and then restarted everything in the same sequence.

Once again, a smooth launch, but about 30-45 seconds into the flight I got the same warning and again RTL was initiated and I was forced to land. Just as I landed I got the warning that a level calibration was required.
So I flew 3 batteries on my Iris+ and enjoyed the time spent flying without issues!

Before packing up I decided to try the Solo once more. I had moved the GoPro onto the Iris+ so flew without the camera this time. No alert about a level calibration and once again a smooth launch. I was actually able to fly for 2-3 minutes before I lost connection and RTL was again initiated. And again, the "level calibration required" warning. The app asked if I wanted to submit my flight logs but since there was no cell service in the area, the app told me to connect to my home wifi. Of course by the time I got home and opened the app, that offer was gone.

Not happy with this, but really hope that 3DR will come through with a fix for this, or I will be returning mine too.

Same exact issue here! Lost connection each time I took off open soccer field and return to home initiated each time then level warning , then tried to level with the iPhone that wouldn't work either! Broke out my Blade QX3 FLEW PERFECT ! Returning this solo ASAP and going to continue to use my Blade until next summer and go with the new phantom 4 !! Good luck .. With your decision mine is made up ...

Same exact issue here! Lost connection each time I took off open soccer field and return to home initiated each time then level warning , then tried to level with the iPhone that wouldn't work either! Broke out my Blade QX3 FLEW PERFECT ! Returning this solo ASAP and going to continue to use my Blade until next summer and go with the new phantom 4 !! Good luck .. With your decision mine is made up ...
I already reveived my replacement Solo, which flies flawlessly! I have a Blade 350QX 1.0 and a 350QX 2.0 - guess I should dust them off and fly them again too. Hate the original CGO2 camera that I paid $200 for with the first 350QX, should have been $25 for that piece of crap. If you like your Blade, you should check out the Yuneec (Yuneec actually makes all of the Blade quads and heli's) Q500 or the new Chroma line which is in between the Q500 and 350QXs size wise.

Good luck, sorry the Solo didn't work for you!

I am brand new to drones. Quick note on availability for those in Canada. I ordered my Solo last weekend from London Drugs and it shipped Monday arrived Wednesday with the free spare battery. Best Buy was showing sold out. First day flights went perfect. Day 2 I was showing my daughter the Solo when I lost signal. I was thirty feet away flying at 15 feet above ground. Solo drifted left for about 30 feet heading straight for some trees. I was hitting the RTH button repeatedly. Just before it hit the trees the RTH function kicked in and worked perfectly. Will be going to a very wide open area to try it again. Makes me nervous. Has anyone heard anything from 3DR on this issue?

I am brand new to drones. Quick note on availability for those in Canada. I ordered my Solo last weekend from London Drugs and it shipped Monday arrived Wednesday with the free spare battery. Best Buy was showing sold out. First day flights went perfect. Day 2 I was showing my daughter the Solo when I lost signal. I was thirty feet away flying at 15 feet above ground. Solo drifted left for about 30 feet heading straight for some trees. I was hitting the RTH button repeatedly. Just before it hit the trees the RTH function kicked in and worked perfectly. Will be going to a very wide open area to try it again. Makes me nervous. Has anyone heard anything from 3DR on this issue?
Yes, they did an update to address the issue. Have you installed the updates?

Just an update. Storms finally let up and went for a quick 15 min. flight. Was asked to recalibrate the level. Did so. Everything worked perfectly. In same area where I lost connection last time. Never went below 4 bars although the farthest I had the controller away from solo was about 300 feet. Most of the flying below 20 feet as I was trying to recreate the same flight as last time. I'm baffled.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150