Maiden Flight = repeated loss of connection

Reaction score
Preflight update went smoothly. So I headed out to my RC club's flying field, a 60 acre open grass field in the rural foothills south of Seattle.
I'm using my Samsung Note 3 to run the Solo app.

I started the Solo, then the controller, and then the app after connecting to Sololink wi fi. Hit fly and had a smooth launch, did some simple stick maneuvers to get a feel for the everything then about 90 seconds into the flight I got a warning that I has lost connection to the controller and RTL had been initiated. Just like it is supposed to, it landed and shut down. So shut everything off, rebooted my phone, and then restarted everything in the same sequence.

Once again, a smooth launch, but about 30-45 seconds into the flight I got the same warning and again RTL was initiated and I was forced to land. Just as I landed I got the warning that a level calibration was required.
So I flew 3 batteries on my Iris+ and enjoyed the time spent flying without issues!

Before packing up I decided to try the Solo once more. I had moved the GoPro onto the Iris+ so flew without the camera this time. No alert about a level calibration and once again a smooth launch. I was actually able to fly for 2-3 minutes before I lost connection and RTL was again initiated. And again, the "level calibration required" warning. The app asked if I wanted to submit my flight logs but since there was no cell service in the area, the app told me to connect to my home wifi. Of course by the time I got home and opened the app, that offer was gone.

Not happy with this, but really hope that 3DR will come through with a fix for this, or I will be returning mine too.

Reactions: AmosMoses
Preflight update went smoothly. So I headed out to my RC club's flying field, a 60 acre open grass field in the rural foothills south of Seattle.
I'm using my Samsung Note 3 to run the Solo app.

I started the Solo, then the controller, and then the app after connecting to Sololink wi fi. Hit fly and had a smooth launch, did some simple stick maneuvers to get a feel for the everything then about 90 seconds into the flight I got a warning that I has lost connection to the controller and RTL had been initiated. Just like it is supposed to, it landed and shut down. So shut everything off, rebooted my phone, and then restarted everything in the same sequence.

Once again, a smooth launch, but about 30-45 seconds into the flight I got the same warning and again RTL was initiated and I was forced to land. Just as I landed I got the warning that a level calibration was required.
So I flew 3 batteries on my Iris+ and enjoyed the time spent flying without issues!

Before packing up I decided to try the Solo once more. I had moved the GoPro onto the Iris+ so flew without the camera this time. No alert about a level calibration and once again a smooth launch. I was actually able to fly for 2-3 minutes before I lost connection and RTL was again initiated. And again, the "level calibration required" warning. The app asked if I wanted to submit my flight logs but since there was no cell service in the area, the app told me to connect to my home wifi. Of course by the time I got home and opened the app, that offer was gone.

Not happy with this, but really hope that 3DR will come through with a fix for this, or I will be returning mine too.

If possible try with another phone just to be sure. I've also heard of people that had connection issues adjusting thier wireless settings on the phone. They configured it so it didn't search for new networks, or at least notify you when new wireless is available, they deleted all the other networks in their phone etc. Not sure what the exact issue but you might try something like that.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Check page 18 section 3.12 of the manual. Did you have the antenas set correctly? Also, during or after the update did you do a level and compass calibration?

For the strongest connection to Solo, position the antennas down and away from the controller so they are approximately perpendicular with Solo in flight, and tilt each antenna out and away from one another at a 20° angle.
Figure 3.12.5.1: Controller Antenna Orientatio

Check page 18 section 3.12 of the manual.

Figure 3.12.5.1: Controller Antenna Orientatio

AmosMoses, did your Solo come with a manual? My Solo didn't include a manual in the box or a link to the one online. The only thing I got was the quick-start guide and safety instructions. But I was able to get the manual online: http://3drobotics.com/kb/solo-user-manual/

Thanks.

Sorry, I should have clarified, this was loss of the controller connection, not loss of the app. Not sure if the controller connection is controlled by the app?

And for the first flight I didn't have the antenna in the suggested configuration, and realized that might be the problem. Pointed them down and away from the controller and angled about 20 degrees apart as suggested. Problems repeated. And I was flying close - no more than 100 feet away at any time, most of the time within 50 feet of the radio.

AmosMoses, did your Solo come with a manual? My Solo didn't include a manual in the box or a link to the one online. The only thing I got was the quick-start guide and safety instructions. But I was able to get the manual online: http://3drobotics.com/kb/solo-user-manual/

Thanks.
No it did not. I think it's pretty much the norm with most of the rtf stuff anymore to not include a manual and expect us to know where to find it. Guessing maybe a way to keep cost lower? Makes sense to me though because probably 90% of users don't read it anyway and just ask the same questions OVER AND OVER in the forums. LOL!!

Reactions: Solo Joe
Yeah, I actually printed the manual out a week ago and read through it rather quickly though.

Sorry, I should have clarified, this was loss of the controller connection, not loss of the app. Not sure if the controller connection is controlled by the app?

And for the first flight I didn't have the antenna in the suggested configuration, and realized that might be the problem. Pointed them down and away from the controller and angled about 20 degrees apart as suggested. Problems repeated. And I was flying close - no more than 100 feet away at any time, most of the time within 50 feet of the radio.
Did you submit a support ticket? Turn off "ask to connect to other networks" on your device. Possibly take your device and put some distance between it and the controller and see how strong the signal is.
Just offering suggestions. I don't even have one yet...dang it!

On the last flight the app asked if I wanted to submit a support ticket and I replied yes. The app then told me to reconnect to home wifi to submit the ticket (no cell service at the field). Once I got home to connect to the wifi and I opened the app, that option was gone. Going out here in a bit to try this again.

On the last flight the app asked if I wanted to submit a support ticket and I replied yes. The app then told me to reconnect to home wifi to submit the ticket (no cell service at the field). Once I got home to connect to the wifi and I opened the app, that option was gone. Going out here in a bit to try this again.
I was just on the Solo support sight looking at some things and at the bottom of the screen there is a link for submitting a ticket.

Man, I had so much faith in 3DR with the Solo. I'm really disappointed in how this has turned out for me.

This morning I did the level calibration and the compass calibration without any problems. Took it to a nearby park to attempt flying for more than a few minutes before losing connection.

I made 3 flights, each less than 30 seconds in duration, Today I was getting Controller Stick Error and it would go into RTL. At least I was able to send one Trouble Ticket to 3DR.

I guess I could say the good news is I didn't loose connection with the controller this time...

I'm debating whether to return this to BB and wait till the beta roll out is done.

Man, I had so much faith in 3DR with the Solo. I'm really disappointed in how this has turned out for me.

This morning I did the level calibration and the compass calibration without any problems. Took it to a nearby park to attempt flying for more than a few minutes before losing connection.

I made 3 flights, each less than 30 seconds in duration, Today I was getting Controller Stick Error and it would go into RTL. At least I was able to send one Trouble Ticket to 3DR.

I guess I could say the good news is I didn't loose connection with the controller this time...

I'm debating whether to return this to BB and wait till the beta roll out is done.
It kinda sounds like it might be a lemon. I'm pretty sure the first one I had was a stinker. I swapped it out and the new one is great. Seems to be indestructible as well. Sorry you're having a bad time with it after all the anticipation. Try to get it replaced.

I having the same issue and this is my second Solo from Best Buy. I can go fly the Solo until the battery runs out just as long as I don't fly it above 200ft. Above 200ft, it loses connection and RTH is initiated then recovers on its was down. The day I got it, I did manage to go all the way to 400ft one time and it lost the signal as soon as it reached 400ft. I am using an iPhone 6+ and even tried it using an iPad mini 3. I submitted a support ticket but haven't gotten a reply. I hope they fix this soon!

Just thinking of things to try. I noticed the thumb screws on several outings seems to back off a bit. Maybe taking antennas off and re-inserting and making sure they are snugly tightened? I also keep in mind when in the air to keep the antennas nearly as perpendicular and parallel to Solo as I can. Was just reading Sect. 9.4 about replacing antenna modules. Being curious (and there is a graphic there), I probably would remove the 2 screws on Legs #1 abd 2 and do a visual inspection. Jus' sayin'. Good luck!

I having the same issue and this is my second Solo from Best Buy. I can go fly the Solo until the battery runs out just as long as I don't fly it above 200ft. Above 200ft, it loses connection and RTH is initiated then recovers on its was down. The day I got it, I did manage to go all the way to 400ft one time and it lost the signal as soon as it reached 400ft. I am using an iPhone 6+ and even tried it using an iPad mini 3. I submitted a support ticket but haven't gotten a reply. I hope they fix this soon!
Also, check and make sure you are not hitting the altitude limit. Doing so triggers an automatic RTH. There was another member on this forum that thought he was losing his connection because it would RTH a short distance away and discovered his altitude limit was set low.

I Agree that it sounds like you are hitting the limit and initiating the RTH feature. 1st one at 400' then the 2nd one at 200'. If not, try taking it to 20' feet away and about 30' up and take a look at the RSSI value, should be-50 or less. Also, what is the RSSI at 200'?

Just got back from a morning test flight. Went 3250' @ 290', feel I could have gone 4k easy but decided to test Orbit. When I got close to home pint, maybe 100' away, I looked down for something and as I did lowere the controller,,,and lost controller signal. As soon as I straitened up got connected. Probably nothing to do with your issue but thought it was interesting when I did a quick movement and changed antenna position maybe 45 degrees,,. Anyway, good luck again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150