Magnetometer Problem?

D

Deleted member 12003

We have three Solos, and the most recently purchased one (while they were still available) seems to have a magnetometer problem. We've gone through the calibration steps in the Solo app, but that hasn't helped -- though I do find the calibration method a bit baffling -- rotating in multiple directions following the animation. We didn't have the same problem with another of our Solos.

The field where we've been testing it is a rarely used university parking lot we were able to reserve for this purpose, and I don't believe there's a significant source of magnetic interference here (though I may test that).

Any suggestions? Anyone run into something similar?

Try in order:

1. Parameter Reset followed by another calibration attempt.
2. "Flicking' the leg compass to possibly un-stiction it. (Some have sugggested degaussing. This method risks crashing the MEMS device pendulum permanently. But if your leg compass is dead anyway...)
3. Connect with Mission planner and disable compasses to determine which one is causing the problem. Replace leg compass or the Pixhawk depending on results

Reactions: Naid01
I've worked on a couple of birds with a persistent mag interference warning, tried everything with no luck. Ended up "belly smacking" the birds to finally clear the problem. Something with the PH flight controller gets stuck, like Bruce said un-stiction. Hadn't been an issue with either since.

So there's two calibrations that need to be done. The IMU calibration (which if it doesn't work, that's where smacking it on the belly or ass will work......sometimes.... make sure you give the drone a "Safe word"...). Then there's the compass calibration. No amount of smacking the shite out of your drone will help with that. You'll just be an abusive drone owner or one that likes M&M's... damn it did I spell that right? If you cannot complete the compass calibration, there are a couple of things to check.

1: Remove all rings, watches, and anything that's possibly metallic or magnetic first.
2: Make sure you're doing the calibration outdoors, away from any tall structures or metal structures.

Also if you're getting "magnetic interference" while trying to take off, make sure you're not trying to take off from re-enforced concrete (it contains rebar) or from a metal surface (truck bed, roof of car etc.).

You can always pick up a replacement compass leg for about $35 I think the price was, and swap it out.

Reactions: XevetS
Try in order:

1. Parameter Reset followed by another calibration attempt.
2. "Flicking' the leg compass to possibly un-stiction it. (Some have sugggested degaussing. This method risks crashing the MEMS device pendulum permanently. But if your leg compass is dead anyway...)
3. Connect with Mission planner and disable compasses to determine which one is causing the problem. Replace leg compass or the Pixhawk depending on results
worked

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc